Buzz Kill: Federal Warnings Hit Medical Pot Boom

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NorCalHal said:
So you hate dispensaries......

Sounds a little hypocritical my friend.

Don't believe I said I hate dispensaries, I believe I said I hated those that are profiting off the guise of compassion. And not hypocritical at all, I am selling to dispensaries I trust and know, dispensaries that actually do have compassion...hence the comment noting I may never break even. Not out to make a living off my friends in need....

NorCalHal said:
you got me on this one...? What?

I sleep like a baby at night, let me tell you. What can 1 plant produce? from nothing to 9 lbs....quite a range.

So, why doesn't the "patient" just grow his/her own?? Any legal MMJ patient can, but most don't.

Wake up my friend. It is not going to end. Noone is going to give thier entire harvest away, not with production costs.
Of COURSE folks are making a buck...duh. You all don't get it. I would fair to say that most of us here have at one time or another stated that they would LOVE to grow weed for a living. Well, now is the time. It is possible and Legal if you follow your State guidlelines, at least here in Cali.

You are allowed to compensate yourself for your "Time and efforts". If you grow correctly and on a larger scale, it WILL be a full time job.

So now that there is a legitimate opportunity to make a living growing herb, folks flip out and say "give it away"...lol Maybe you havn't noticed the lack of work out there in the real world, MMJ has been a saving grace for MANY folks who are able to put food on thier tables without goverment help. At the same time they are providing herb to folks who would otherwise go without.

Don't hate on the growers supplying the clubs my friend, thank them.

Recouping for elec and time....that's not saying you are allowed to make a living. Are you paying taxes on these gains?

Hick said:
CO the prices, both retail and wholesale, have dropped about 50% since the dispensary 'boom'. Two years ago, I saw most mmj @ disp' going for $15-$25 p/g. Top quality wholesale, to the clinics, $4-$5k.
Today, $7--15 g, and clinics are now, by law, required to grow/produce their own product. They must have 'caregiver' status for enough patients to cover the number of plants they grow. "No" sales to clinics. (I know growers that were holding out for $4500 p/lb. last year, that are now "trying" to get $2500)
Clinics are being required to film/document EVERYTHING, from 'seed to sales'. Even transport from grow to outlet, will be documented. Carrier, lic. plate #, vehicle description, time and date, amount left with, amount received. Every sale is filmed/documented.
Clinics can have multiple grow locations, but each location requires a 'permit' ($1500 I believe) and is subject to state inspections. Substantial "overhead", that is meant to drive the illegitimate out of business, but still pushing 'cost' up. :mad:

State officials likely perceived wrong-doings and decided to go crazy in their effort to curb such practices....sad!

Everybody should grow thier own Smoke, and it wont matter. Course there are those that are to sick to grow,,so they would need a friend to grow it for them.
If yur not sick and just to lazy to grow yur own smoke,,,,,,I say to bad,,dont smoke.

WeedHopper said:
Everybody should grow thier own Smoke, and it wont matter. Course there are those that are to sick to grow,,so they would need a friend to grow it for them.
If yur not sick and just to lazy to grow yur own smoke,,,,,,I say to bad,,dont smoke.

:aok:

I want to make clear that I am not against anyone making a few $$ to recoup expenses and even pay for time, the law allows for this as should be.

Hick said:
CO the prices, both retail and wholesale, have dropped about 50% since the dispensary 'boom'. Two years ago, I saw most mmj @ disp' going for $15-$25 p/g. Top quality wholesale, to the clinics, $4-$5k.
Today, $7--15 g, and clinics are now, by law, required to grow/produce their own product. They must have 'caregiver' status for enough patients to cover the number of plants they grow. "No" sales to clinics. (I know growers that were holding out for $4500 p/lb. last year, that are now "trying" to get $2500)
Clinics are being required to film/document EVERYTHING, from 'seed to sales'. Even transport from grow to outlet, will be documented. Carrier, lic. plate #, vehicle description, time and date, amount left with, amount received. Every sale is filmed/documented.
Clinics can have multiple grow locations, but each location requires a 'permit' ($1500 I believe) and is subject to state inspections. Substantial "overhead", that is meant to drive the illegitimate out of business, but still pushing 'cost' up. :mad:

My town and the cities surrounding it (immediately surrounding) don't support dispensaries so the market has resorted to delivery services.

I'm not sure about their legality but a few have been going strong for 3-4 years+.

Roddy said:
Recouping for elec and time....that's not saying you are allowed to make a living. Are you paying taxes on these gains?

Allready stated......

NorCalHal said:
Most all folks out here pay taxes on revenue gained from MMJ, including myself.

As a Non Profit Collective, I AM allowed to make a living, as any CEO of ANY Non-Profit is allowed too. Just because United Way is Non-Profit, doesn't mean the folks that work for them do not make a living. I think Cali is a different monster then most states when it comes too MMJ and how the Industry is ran.

So, no disrespect Roddy, none at all. I take offence to folks slamming dispensaries in general when Dispensaries is what is allowing 10's of 1000's of folks to survive in todays economy.
With that said, it is the CONSUMER that should be wise and make corrct choices on which dispensary they frequent. It's like the guy that buys Gas at Chevron for $4.50 a gal when he could go across the street to Arco and pay $3.50.....it's the consumers choice, or ignorance man.

Disp/clinics have a considerable amount of cost in overhead. Permits, security, TAXES, storefront, employees, insurance..... should be taken into consideration if we're going to talk prices and/or "profit margin"..

Hick said:
Disp/clinics have a considerable amount of cost in overhead. Permits, security, TAXES, storefront, employees, insurance..... should be taken into consideration if we're going to talk prices and/or "profit margin"..

I understand and have removed my post.

No offense taken and no disrespect intended either, my friend!

As I have stated, dispensaries around here are said to be using "drug dealer" methods to up their sales of ALREADY overpriced products. Again, this is what I complain about! If there are reputable dispensaries out there, they will get the proper recognition and my rant will have no effect on them whatsoever.

And truly, I blame the dispensaries, but the blame is equally on the growers who greedily sell the patient's meds instead of supplying the patient as should be....I suppose if the dispensaries didn't pay such high prices, there would be less draw for shady growers?

Hick said something about cameras recording every transaction etc...when I made my one and only purchase, the money went from my pocket to his and there was no record of any transaction ever taking place...this was how I envisioned all dispensaries.

I'll stand by my rant, and improve it a bit...DOWN with anyone who exploits the laws to take advantage of the patient! ;) Hey, DOWN with anyone who takes advantage of the patient...period! :D

Sadly, what you are seeing Roddy is just basic economics on a MMJ scale. Every new product that is considered 'new' will have few channels to be acquired from. As time dwindles on more channels open up and become available dropping the price while stabilizing the market.

As far as dispensaries that deal mostly in cash, that is done for many reasons that cover everything from patients wanting to keep there purchases off their electronic transactions to business like AMEX declining all purchases made from dispensaries.

I do agree that not every dispensary is out there for the good of humanity, but that does not mean a majority of them are out to screw the little guy.

P.S. your revised rant gets a :aok:

Erbal said:
Sadly, what you are seeing Roddy is just basic economics on a MMJ scale. Every new product that is considered 'new' will have few channels to be acquired from. As time dwindles on more channels open up and become available dropping the price while stabilizing the market.

As far as dispensaries that deal mostly in cash, that is done for many reasons that cover everything from patients wanting to keep there purchases off their electronic transactions to business like AMEX declining all purchases made from dispensaries.

I do agree that not every dispensary is out there for the good of humanity, but that does not mean a majority of them are out to screw the little guy.

P.S. your revised rant gets a :aok:

We're not talking discretion, we're talking no proof any sale ever took place, no proof anyone ever visited. And around here, it does look like the majority are out for themselves and not the patient!

Give it 'time' roddy :).. As the market/laws adjusts, it 'will' get better. You sound a LOT like I did a couple of years ago ;)
'You'.. keep doing what's right, :aok:

Your kinda missing the BIG picture Roddy with the "movement". It is NOT about "supplying meds to patients", as most "patients" are not "sick and dieing".
It is really about getting MJ out of the shadows and changing veiws on MJ.
It is all about having the choice to smoke herb if you choose, and not going to prison for it.
I've said it a million times.....MMJ is just a stepping stone to full decrim. Do not think that MJ should be for only "sick" folks, cause if you do, you are part of the problem.

It IS about our rights as Citizens to smoke up if we want too....period. It is about making Making MJ an Industry that is controlled by the people themselves, not crporations....though that is where it will be in 10 years.

not crporations
Actually if you have a store front more then likely it's incorporated. or at least and LLC. So really dispensaries have already made it "corporate" just because it's not traded on the NASDAQ doesn't mean its not a corporation. I highly doubt any decent minded business savvy dispensary owner would make it a sole proprietorship and assume all liability. I know I wouldn't. Make it a corporation and put myself on a payroll. List my self as owner. but still have liability fall on the business. That way if the feds get it, everything is tied to the shop if you keep your paperwork right. Sole proprietar would mean house, bank accounts, everything is for grabs then. I doubt it would protect you much...but make it so the courts have to work harder through litigation to get it.

NorCalHal said:
Your kinda missing the BIG picture Roddy with the "movement". It is NOT about "supplying meds to patients", as most "patients" are not "sick and dieing".
It is really about getting MJ out of the shadows and changing veiws on MJ.
It is all about having the choice to smoke herb if you choose, and not going to prison for it.
I've said it a million times.....MMJ is just a stepping stone to full decrim. Do not think that MJ should be for only "sick" folks, cause if you do, you are part of the problem.

It IS about our rights as Citizens to smoke up if we want too....period. It is about making Making MJ an Industry that is controlled by the people themselves, not crporations....though that is where it will be in 10 years.

Absolutely, and if we're to be taken seriously, we have to jump through the hoops! If MMJ is to be a stepping stone, the laws should be followed with the patients' needs coming foremost so we are taken serious. I think you misunderstand me, my friend, I very much believe we should be free to smoke whether sick or not....walk before run!

As for the most patients aren't sick part...there too is part of the problem, but also helps to bring it to the gubnet's attn...a wash!

Hick said:
Give it 'time' roddy :).. As the market/laws adjusts, it 'will' get better. You sound a LOT like I did a couple of years ago ;)
'You'.. keep doing what's right, :aok:

I kinda figured this was the case! :)

That guidance articulates the department‟s balanced approach, which effectively focuses the limited federal resources on drug traffickers and organizations as opposed to individuals with serious illnesses who use marijuana as part of a recommended treatment regimen consistent with applicable state law.

The guidance also makes clear that federal officials will not tolerate those who hide behind claims of compliance with state laws to mask activity that is clearly illegal.

Holton told NewsChannel 21 it's increasingly clear that some "dispensaries are selling marijuana quite openly," to the point of offering coupons, such as "14 grams free with five referrals."

They "seem to have missed entirely that voters resoundingly rejected dispensaries," the U.S. attorney said.

"The names tell it all -- Wake n Bake, High Society, Ganja Garage, Club 420, Club Pitbull -- and a new club, 'My Connect," Holton said. "Are we supposed to believe that people go to places like 'Wake n Bake' to get medicine?"

"Oregonians, who adopted a medical marijuana law in good faith, deserve an answer: Are these places where people go to get medicine, or are these just drug dealers hiding behind the medical marijuana law?" the U.S. attorney said.

Sounds like I'm not the only one seeing this kind of activity....

Roddy said:
So, profit more from those who should be able to get their plants....sounds about right!

Since it's happening, to hell with it, do as the crooks?? No THANKS, I'll sleep better at night!

I think anyone who grows this stuff knows what just one plant will produce, and how much it costs to produce it! For every patient, there's a grower waiting to make a buck, I hope you're not believing otherwise! Around here, at least....maybe we should export some growers your way?

Roddy, there is maybe one thing you are not considering. I know some medical marijuana patients who are unable to work due to their illness and the only way to get their mmj is to grow it themselves with possibly the excess being used to pay utilities, living expenses, etc... I think that is a better scenario than giving it away, being foreclosed, and hoping on the kindness of someone to give it to you for free from that point forward, that is if you can get in touch with your charitable donor without the cell phone you used to own.

No, I am not against capitalism and I find dealing with most these dispensaries they are overly generous in their haggling and many have just said give me what you can. After that they give 50% more than you just paid for.

In all this I think the most telling quote from U.S. Attorney Michael Ormsby is this: "We're talking, in some instances, about thousands of dollars a week being generated by these enterprises," I think what he is saying is that there are actually people out there successfully practicing capitalism -- without buying off a few politicians. How dare they. Anyhow, this is the essence of the problem -- that there are people making money out there that are not part of the inner circle. I posted this on another thread but here is a link to an article to illustrate the Fed's intent as directed by Big Pharma.

hXXp://www.eastbayexpress.com/ebx/meet-your-new-pot-dealer-big-pharma/Content?oid=2665515

Latest posts

Back