C02 produced by animals / dogs benefit plants?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

next

Reaction score
Hey MP,

I know that when we breath, we breath in 02, and breath out c02. Plants like the c02 mhmm..

I think I read somewhere of people keeping small animals next to their grow ops, like bunnies, or guinea pigs..

Here is my question, do you think 400lbs worth of dogs create enough c02 that plants would benefit by being in the same room? I know its a krazie question, but none the less, there it is.

Thanks guys n gals.

I have always invited my dogs in to breathe. Can't hurt, probably not worth the risk if bringing in insects though.

Whether it would show a benefit i have no idea.. The kitty sleeps in the veg room daily.

Dogs yes but having a furry garden destroyer in the closet give me the Hebe geebies

Ah, I wonder if thats why my plants are so happy :smoke1:

Dogs sleep down there at night, and off and on through out the day depending on the weather. They are not inside the tent lol, just in the same room. Also I have fishtank filter cloth over all my tent intakes to keep out bugs / hair. I hate when you find a hair on your stash -.-

Thanks for the replies, guys n gals :vap_bong__emoticon:

i would never let a dog or cat stay in my growroom because all the bacteria risk and the dust in their fur and the fur by itself flying and contaminating buds. the added CO2 will add nothing significant in ppm in a vented room

Ah, but the room is not vented, just an open basement.. clean dogs my friend, clean dogs.. the bathtub / bathroom however have their moments.. the rottweiler enjoys rolling around in just about anything he can find. They aren't inside the tent.. just on the same floor. Or are you saying you wouldn't grow with a pet inside the house??

I heard a good one the other day.. talking about people and their pets. One of the sayings was, "If you don't like pet hair, stay off the fur-niture."

Also did you know, that all that bacteria and dust in their fur will prevent your child from getting asthma? If you own a family dog, and that dog lives in your house, with your kid, they did a study and 100% of children with a family dog had zero asthma problems. Plus, its all organic ;)

i grew in a house with pets in and outside pets of all sorts cats dogs birds turtles, lots of turtles, still have 3, even chicks that became chicken and i didn't know what to do with them and my mom went crazy from the chicken manure lol i gave them away to a small farmer. i raised a rottweiler too and he was great but too much to handle. tbh, i don't like them inside the house altogether. the breath of dogs inside a house especially in winter when it's closed and the fur and saliva and what else, I just prefer to have them outside in a garden where they are happy. right now all i have is 3 turtles and a cat that stays outside, roams the area freely, keeps rodents and insects away, not castrated, and i feed him not on schedule like i have another baby, just whenever i can and he never complains. the turtles, well, i can forget them year in year out in the garden and they survive, i am amazed by these animals, never seen one die

Lol, don't smell a thing.. the basement was a little musty before the carbon filter went in the tent. I think my house is a small zoo yep, but its my zoo :) I dont know off hand but probly about 10 or so pets if you count the reptiles, and fishtanks.

You think dogs stink, you wouldn't wanna know what comes out the other end of a 9ft python, that is nasty my friend. Hepa filters are a must.. for when it happens in the night, or when your gone ect..

Proper pet care = happy pets, happy life.

I have always invited my dogs in to breathe. Can't hurt, probably not worth the risk if bringing in insects though.

Whether it would show a benefit i have no idea.. The kitty sleeps in the veg room daily.

Hey rose,

Cats love the herb don't they?? My cat will come running if she hears me fire up the bong.. she's my wife's cat and for the longest time we couldn't have any house plants because she would eat them. Eventually I overgrew her cat, and grew her cat some catnip now we co-exist happily.

I'm sure if she could she would be in the tent with them, but then I would have to grow more just for her. :vap-Bong_smoker:

Actually, the animals probably provide very little CO2 for your plants. And no matter how clean they are, if they go outside at all, you DO risk bringing in pests and diseases.

i grew in a house with pets in and outside pets of all sorts cats dogs birds turtles, lots of turtles, still have 3, even chicks that became chicken and i didn't know what to do with them and my mom went crazy from the chicken manure lol i gave them away to a small farmer. i raised a rottweiler too and he was great but too much to handle. tbh, i don't like them inside the house altogether. the breath of dogs inside a house especially in winter when it's closed and the fur and saliva and what else, I just prefer to have them outside in a garden where they are happy. right now all i have is 3 turtles and a cat that stays outside, roams the area freely, keeps rodents and insects away, not castrated, and i feed him not on schedule like i have another baby, just whenever i can and he never complains. the turtles, well, i can forget them year in year out in the garden and they survive, i am amazed by these animals, never seen one die

My wifey loves her turtles as well.. has a red eared slider, and a red foot tortoise. We don't have much choice about leaving our pets outside during winter.. what kind of turtles do u have zem?

Have you kept a dog in with your garden??? I had to stake claim to my garden area and fence it off from the dogs, they trampled the blueberries, and tend to dig up my strawberries, I find that dogs and gardens don't really get along. The rottweiler will eat the strawberries if he can see them.. krazie doggies

Actually, the animals probably provide very little CO2 for your plants. And no matter how clean they are, if they go outside at all, you DO risk bringing in pests and diseases.

Hey there THG,

I understand they could bring in pests, personally I don't see how they would make it inside the tent tho. What disease could a dog transfer to a plant??

Dog rolls in the grass and everything in the grass is in his coat. he comes in gives a shake or 2 and everything is spread thru the house. air movement a must have for us closet grower at the same time is a pita

Any additional CO2 would help.

Spray your dogs with EM. Helps your dogs coat and your plants love it.

Lol pcduck u referring to like effective microorganisms? krazie man

What closetkid says is correct. They wander around in bush, anything they walk on can stick to their pads or between their toes. Bad things can be very very tiny. In addition, they can transfer things to you when they brush up against you or you pet them and you take it into the garden....things like spider mites.

Our kitty sleeps on the bed. He likes the lights and the warmth in that room.He doesn't mess with the plants.

Animals could bring in mites or even thrip. But, they are my family. They are also clean.

spider mites yes, but diseases?

I wander around in the bush and my shoes end up inside the house as well, that's a risk everyone takes unless they want to change clothing everytime you go insdie / outside. I think i'm covered with the filters on the tents. If any bugs do show up I think they will find the house plants long before they try to squeeze inside a tent.

Thanks for all the replies, any and all input is always appreciated.

Latest posts

Back