c99 yet again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salmon

Reaction score
Hey All,

Long LONG time lurker, infrequent poster. Long time grower in northern CA. Perfectly legal.

Short version: I have an original c99 female, and would like to help propagate somehow.

longer version: years and years ago I bought some C99 seeds from some address in Switzerland. it wasn't even a regular seed bank, but just some address. I sent cash in the mail and thought there was a good chance I would just lose my money. I had found this address on some forum. I've never been able to find that address again. It was probably 2006 or so. Anyway, I got seeds, and grew them. They were not the most robust seeds I've ever had, and I had to baby them along, and still lost some of them. They were not feminized. I was not experienced enough and not thinking ahead enough to have done the smart thing and raised a few pairs outside and gotten enough seeds to last a lifetime. I didn't, though.

The females were classic c99, with that wonderful wonderful smell. They have the really skinny leaves, the early maturation, the susceptibility to PM. I'm not keen on the susceptibility to PM, but it's all okay. And there were the two phenotypes, just like everyone says. One with bazillions of tiny buds on bushy and wiry plants, the other a more conventional big top cola kind of plant. I've cloned them for years and years now. At some point I lost the tiny bud phenotype.

I know that some people have said that c99 is an easy cloner, but that's never been the case for me. I can clone most strains pretty easily, with a decent success rate. But C99 is really hard for me to clone. I probably have to clone 20 to get three or four. Several times over the years I have almost lost the strain.

I love the strain. I love the smell. So I bought some c99 seeds from some company or another. It might have been Mosca, but it might not. I grew them out. They were way hardier than the original I got, but it wasn't the same at all. The leaves didn't look the same. The plant didn't smell the same. The buds were larfy instead of compact. It just wasn't c99 at all. It's fine they sold the seeds, but I wish they would have called it something else. It makes me leery to buy other companies' C99, since I'm guessing (and from what I read here) these other C99s are, like the one I bought a couple of years ago, not really c99.

So I guess I have three questions there.

1) Are there people who have grown the original C99 and who have grown any of the other more recent c99s who can vouch that the new one is the same as the old one (I'd like to buy more seeds of the real C99 so I can this time do it right and get some seeds of my own: yes, I know I can keep cloning it but I'd like to have the backup)? If so, what company are they?

2) Is there anyone out there who have also had the same trouble cloning c99, but figured out some secret that makes them as easy to clone as some others?

3) I really love this strain and I know that others say they love it too, so given that I have these genetics, is there any reasonable way I could get them back into circulation, as a public service if nothing else? That's why I mentioned I live in CA. I suppose I could take some clones to a dispensary and give them to them to distribute.

Oh, I guess a fourth question, and I know this is silly, would there be anybody who has a male c99, with this male being lonely and wanting to meet a female c99 who is tired of living only with other females? We could start a dating service for marijuana plants! Just kidding.

Thank you

THG can help you, She knows this Strain well.

I grew Joey Weed's C99 for a long time...until he disappeared from the breeding scene. He had the original Brother's Grimm cut. I do not know what you mean by the "original" C99. I am guessing (guessing only) that is the cut you are talking about. You should be able to find some C99 out there that still has the Brothers Grimm genetics. eep in mind that there are different phenos of most strains and the same seeds can produce plants that differ quite a bit. Or there is the possibility that the seeds you have are not C99 at all as you purchased from some unknown address in Switzerland and they only claimed that they were C99.

Thank you for all of that!

I've thought about the possibility that these aren't actually c99, but I've seen some old pictures of old old c99 grows where the leaves and stems and buds look like the ones I have. The leaves are incredibly slender, the stems are spindly, the leaves and stalks are very pale, and the buds are very pale too. Thank you!

Little Brother you cant tell a Strain like that by leaves and stems.

That's interesting, because I can tell trainwreck from, say, Green Crack by the shapes and colors of leaves, stems, and buds, as well as the smell. Same with all the other strains I've grown. Same with all the other growers I know: they can look at a plant and, if it's one they've grown before, tell at a glance whether it's a trainwreck by the shapes and colors of leaves, stems, and buds, as well as by the smell.

My point was simply that the photos I've seen of original C99 look like the plants I've raised. Maybe I have something else besides the original, but given that the photos I've seen of the original look like what I have, and given that what I bought was represented as C99, and given that the smell matches the descriptions I've read of original C99, and given that I had two phenotypes which match the descriptions I've read of original c99, I think my default understanding is that what I have is C99. So it goes back to one of my questions, which is whether any of the modern seeds being sold as c99 are in fact the original. Thank you.

LOL--you may think you can, but there are thousands and thousand of hybrids now and WH is right, you cannot tell a strain by the shape of its leaves or stems. I can tell the strains that I grow and know apart, but if someone put 10 similar strains up next to them, I would not be able to tell.....and I have been doing this for a long long time.

Since we really have no idea of what you mean when you say the "original", I am not sure anyone can help. Brothers Grimm bred quality C99 many years ago, as I mentioned in my first post. If this is what you mean by the "original" strain, you should be able to find some C99 that is from the original Brothers Grimm. Whether that is the original you are seeking, no one can really know as you have not strain information other than it was sold as C99 many years ago.

:yeahthat:

And by the way,,i have smoked many different Phyno's of the same Strain,,and they all looked different.

Latest posts

Back