Cabinet: lowering lights + filter vs. lowering plants on shelf

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ActivatedAlmonds52

Reaction score
Just for the record - I have zero experience. I'm gathering info and making a checklist of parts I'll need.

My growbox is a regular 21 x 34 x 77" wardrobe. It has those little holes for installing shelves at different heights.

My idea is that I will install the lights + filter + fan + ducting in a fixed spot at the top and put the pots on a tray on a wire basket like this:

The reason I'm considering this is that it would potentially save me the hassle of doing anything with the ducting. The intake and outtake holes remain in the same spots at all times (very bottom and very top), so it kinda makes sense. On the other hand perhaps not the most convenient as two pots (which is what I'm aiming for) would weigh 10 lbs or more.

What do you think?

Just remember. When you switch to flower you can not have any light getting into your grow area or it will hermi the plant.
As for the pots weight on those racks I have no idea how sturdy that cabinet is.

Just for the record - I have zero experience. I'm gathering info and making a checklist of parts I'll need.

My growbox is a regular 21 x 34 x 77" wardrobe. It has those little holes for installing shelves at different heights.

My idea is that I will install the lights + filter + fan + ducting in a fixed spot at the top and put the pots on a tray on a wire basket like this:

The reason I'm considering this is that it would potentially save me the hassle of doing anything with the ducting. The intake and outtake holes remain in the same spots at all times (very bottom and very top), so it kinda makes sense. On the other hand perhaps not the most convenient as two pots (which is what I'm aiming for) would weigh 10 lbs or more.

What do you think?

Will you be able to lower the lights? I have a grow light in one of my closest. I have to use strains that do not get really tall. I like to grow hybrids and I made the mistake of growing something that had zkittles in it and it out grew the height.

What do you think?

There are hangers for your lights that allow you to raise and lower the lights quickly and easily. That is a better option than raising or lowering your plants.

Sumpin’ like these…
11D0167D-351E-417F-84C8-A04F18AE8303.jpeg

Will you be able to lower the lights? I have a grow light in one of my closest. I have to use strains that do not get really tall. I like to grow hybrids and I made the mistake of growing something that had zkittles in it and it out grew the height.

NOT having to lower the lights (with filter and fan) at all would be the whole point. I'm thinking of moving the POTS down as they grow.

I have two grow areas, one for veg, one for flower.
I never move the light in either area.
I use milk crates, and other various items to adjust the height of my plants.

They can stay fixed at the top? I guess that makes sense. I'm just looking at lots of pictures, so it isn't that obvious to me.
The purpose of the fan is air exchange and heat dissipation. Hot air rises so keeping them at the top of the grow, to me, makes sense. As flower said, he adjusts plant height using various items. That is ok too but I think it is easier to adjust a light or two with the ability to control ‘fly height’ quickly and easily. The adjustable hooks I posted a pic for are cheap and easy. I do at times need to put shorter plants on something to even out the canopy but that is rare and dependent on strain and phenotype. I try to make things easier on me but still keep the plants as happy as I can.

Last edited:
E9ADE285-B7DD-4B11-A159-F79913AF356D.jpeg

I am currently running an 8 plant perpetual grow.
I add a new plant every 11 days.
The newest plant goes into position #1.
11 days later, that plant goes to position #2, and a new plant goes into position #1.
A plant in position #5 has been in flower for 55 days.
Of course, we all know that plant is gonna need two more weeks.
So position #6 is 66 days.
Of course, it’s probably still gonna need two more weeks, so…..
Position #7 is gonna be 77 days.
Two more weeks, you ask?
Probably, so position #8 is 88 days.
If they still need two more weeks, I usually just call the plant a few dirty names and chop it anyway.
Keep in mind, I am running different strains, or strandivers if you prefer, which run the gamut from 90% sativa, to 80% indica. Also, taking into consideration the difference in stretch between position #1 and #8, it makes more sense for me to adjust plant height, versus the light.
Btw, did I mention that it will probably need two more weeks?

View attachment 313364
I am currently running an 8 plant perpetual grow.
I add a new plant every 11 days.
The newest plant goes into position #1.
11 days later, that plant goes to position #2, and a new plant goes into position #1.
A plant in position #5 has been in flower for 55 days.
Of course, we all know that plant is gonna need two more weeks.
So position #6 is 66 days.
Of course, it’s probably still gonna need two more weeks, so…..
Position #7 is gonna be 77 days.
Two more weeks, you ask?
Probably, so position #8 is 88 days.
If they still need two more weeks, I usually just call the plant a few dirty names and chop it anyway.
Keep in mind, I am running different strains, or strandivers if you prefer, which run the gamut from 90% sativa, to 80% indica. Also, taking into consideration the difference in stretch between position #1 and #8, it makes more sense for me to adjust plant height, versus the light.
Btw, did I mention that it will probably need two more weeks?
I did not consider this grow method(never heard or thought of it but it is innovative/interesting to be sure). Obviously adjusting plant height is the only solution to this cannabis equivalent of a death march… ;)

Latest posts

Back