Calling All Cars !! Calling All Cars !!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sixx

Reaction score
Hello again everyone... Im kind of flipping out here a bit...These seeds were dropped in water on 6-20-11.... 2 Ice, 1 WhiteWidow, and 1 SAGE. Then into 5Gal bubblers on 7-2-11... Veg'd under 4bulb 4Ft HO T5s and then moved them to the flower room under a 1000W HPS... Now shortly after these girls really started to get nice and bushy maybe 2-3 weeks in I noticed small brown patches appearing ONLY on the very bottom big fan leaves... They slowly got worse and worse, and moved up to some of the mid level fan leaves to where I removed a couple of them... Heres some pics...
Anyone know what this may be just by sight ?? Or do we need more details ?
B1-750.jpgB2-750.jpgB3-750.jpgC1-750.jpg

That looks kind of like heat stress, but yu say it started low and is moving up which leads me to think deficiency. Seems too early for N def, more likely P or K. How are yu doing yer nutes. PH is always a common culprit, especially in hydro because it can change so quick. And PH will cause a def from nute lockout if it is getting off in one direction. I know in Hydro, if yu don't clean out yer buckets or rez before yu flip to flower, yu can get chemical buildup that can change the ph on everything yer throwing in the bucket. Have a close look at yer leaves, and/or lightly shake them to see if any critters fly off as it is critter season and those sneaky little buggers can get in b4 yu know it.

The roots in all 4 buckets look good.... I only took a pic of one because they basically all look the same... Anyway.. here it is... and I checked the Ph again.. and all 4 buckets are 5.8-6.0
Roots1-750.jpg

Ain't that a little high for hydro, shouldn't the PH be it the 5.3 to 5.8 range?

From what Ive read and heard 5.8 is the optimum number for Hydro. Im sure there are exceptions... But I have always tried to shoot for 5.8...this is my 3rd official hydro grow.

I keep mine at 5.8-6.0 with no probs. Some prefer to go a little lower. What nutes and ppm are yu using right now?

Also, go to the deficiencies charts in the stickies at the top of the sick plants thread that we are in and study and memorize all of the charts. Your naked eyes are better than any pics that we can look at. I suspect maybe P and/or K deficiency at this point.

I also stay at 5.8 and let it hover a little higher in flower, around 6.0-6.2.

Whenever i see deficiency in hydro, I immediately mix a new res.
I mean scrub buckets, airlines and all. Have you done this since seeing the deficiency? Otherwise it will spread quickly..

Hushpuppy said:
I keep mine at 5.8-6.0 with no probs. Some prefer to go a little lower. What nutes and ppm are yu using right now?
GH FloraNova Grow and Bloom 1 part...
The last couple weeks of veg and the 1st week of 12/12 I have dosed at 2Tsp/Gal. I dont know PPM, I only have a gigital Ph meter.
I also changed the water early (Lid Swap) to fresh airated solution at 5.8 end of last week, and its still 5.8 as of 15 mins ago.
Thus far ALL new growth looks awesome... tho some of the affected spotted and browning leaves worsened and are falling off... I removed maybe 4-5 of the lower to mid fan leaves per plant the other night... since then no more have fallen or been removed... Im hoping it wont worsen any further.

Just a side note... The past month has been really hot and humid... Well into the 90s, and the humidity was 75ish at times... The weather is much nicer now, and all is looking OK....
I will update with a few new pics tommorrow, its lights out here already.

Sounds good. I hope you have things straight now. You really need to get a TDS meter. I have a Hanna Primo. worked real good till the other day when I dropped it in the rez. Going by measure will get you by but kind of leaves you at risk of over or under nuting...The hot temps and high RH can really play havoc with the plants. That's why a lot of folks here don't grow across the summer months. One trick that will help if you aren't already doing it is running yer lights during the night when things are cooler. If you aren't on at night you can rotate it by extending the dark time by 6 hours for 2 days, and that will shift you to the night.

Hushpuppy said:
Sounds good. I hope you have things straight now. You really need to get a TDS meter. I have a Hanna Primo. worked real good till the other day when I dropped it in the rez. Going by measure will get you by but kind of leaves you at risk of over or under nuting...The hot temps and high RH can really play havoc with the plants. That's why a lot of folks here don't grow across the summer months. One trick that will help if you aren't already doing it is running yer lights during the night when things are cooler. If you aren't on at night you can rotate it by extending the dark time by 6 hours for 2 days, and that will shift you to the night.

Ha!! Thankyou... I was just asking about changing the dark time in Gen Indoor Will this change cause any stress ??

No, it should be fine to add hours to the dark cycle just not to the light cycle as the 12hrs of light is the max you can give them without affecting the flowering hormone. Technically you could leave it in the dark until the time you want rolls back around, but I like to break it up into smaller increments so to eliminate any chance of stress.

Latest posts

Back