Calling all musicians.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Music
Reaction score
Thought it might be a fun thread to see our resident musicians gear and hear what type of music they like to play.:)

As much as I hve come to love growing music is and always will be my true passion. I am self taught but lately hve been considering going to an instructor.
I bought my first guitar when I was stationed in Japan with the USAF. I quickly had 4 guitars.:D I recently started playing the bass as well and it really has renewed my passion for playing and has been a great creative outlet.

PB200004.JPG

I hve one guitar right now. A Pignose with a built in amp. I love this little guitar. It allows me to take it to work and practice at lunch in the truck. It also serves as an actual guitar that plugs into amps.

PB200006.JPG

I did a lot of research on getting a bass guitar before buying one. I wanted quality but not at a real steep price. Finally settled on an Ibanez GSR200 4 - String Bass. 200 bucks at my local music place.

PB200005.JPG

For recording I use a program called Reaper. It really is an awesome program and you never hve to pay for it till you are satisfied with it. It is fully functional and not crippled. If you like it you pay like 50 bucks for the license.

I use a Digi-Tech GNX-4 for my effects....
PB200007.JPG

And it all connects to the computer via a USB hook up. I use the AudioBox USB. PB200008.JPG

Musically I am into everything but my passions really are with Rock...all kinds. Classic, Alternative, Metal...etc. Also listen to old school Hip Hop/Rap a bit but pretty much not the newer crap.:p

Any other musicians feel like sharing?

I have a piano that desperately needs repair, and several mallets but no vibraphone. :mad:

I like some of most styles of Western music. I like some African and Asian music. I shall take up banjo, guitar, most of the orchestral bowed strings and oboe when I can buy them.

YYZ Skinhead said:
I have a piano that desperately needs repair, and several mallets but no vibraphone. :mad:

I like some of most styles of Western music. I like some African and Asian music. I shall take up banjo, guitar, most of the orchestral bowed strings and oboe when I can buy them.

Can you play piano YYZ? I wish I cld...I hve tried but no good. I wish I had been forced to learn when young by my parents. My children will learn young provided they find it fun. I won't force it on them.

Awesome thread idea hammy when I get back Ill get some pics of my bass. Funny you brought it up I havent played it in bout a month and today I broke it out and started learning some of the new chili pepper songs off Im with you. :)

Funk is where Im at home. But i love alot of other music. Zeppelin the band that started it all for me :aok:

I play guitar too but only mediocre. . . bass has always been mt love

Hamster Lewis said:
Can you play piano YYZ? I wish I cld...I hve tried but no good. I wish I had been forced to learn when young by my parents. My children will learn young provided they find it fun. I won't force it on them.
I can play but I haven't for years. I think I need to take a basic class because I've forgotten a lot. Like how to transcribe the songs I have written (thank you, propranolol).

Lemon Jack said:
Awesome thread idea hammy when I get back Ill get some pics of my bass. Funny you brought it up I havent played it in bout a month and today I broke it out and started learning some of the new chili pepper songs off Im with you. :)

Funk is where Im at home. But i love alot of other music. Zeppelin the band that started it all for me :aok:

I play guitar too but only mediocre. . . bass has always been mt love

Hey LJ....awesome that you picked it back up again. O love that feeling when you have not played in a while and you plug in and jam to some drum beat and just break a sweat.:D I know for a fact picking up the bass has helped my guitar playing tremendously. Just how fast a guitars neck feels to me has been great.

I love Zep...they are my favorite all time over all band. Inspired me to play music from the time I picked up a guitar. First song i taught myself was Stairway to heaven....after that it was Black Dog and Rock n Roll and I was hooked.:)

I look forward to seeing your set up.

YYZ Skinhead said:
I can play but I haven't for years. I think I need to take a basic class because I've forgotten a lot. Like how to transcribe the songs I have written (thank you, propranolol).

I hear ya on the brushing up on the basics. I really believe you hve a better chance of learning piano from a younger age. My brain is set and I just can't do the 2 hands playing different things thing. It's like singing and playing at the same time. Can't do it.

Back in High school, I played Trombone, Baritone, Tuba, Violin, Viola, Cello, Double Bass. After High School, I played Bass guitar, and Blues Fiddle. Played in a jazz quartet, and a few rock bands. Probably my biggest influence, was Frank Zappa. I went off the deep end, on cocaine, in the early 80s, and sold all of my instruments, for blow. I just recently picked up the fiddle again, and am learning bluegrass. When I get my health situation back under control, I will probably really get back into music again. I am playing with a small keyboard now, since I can't play anything else one handed.

HomieHogleg

wow diddnt know you played hammy, ive been playing for 40 years and still learning. i love to rip up on some blues or go heavy either way. we can pick up the acustics and play some dmb or robert earl king. i wish i could beat the hell out of some drums though.:guitar:

astrobud said:
wow diddnt know you played hammy, ive been playing for 40 years and still learning. i love to rip up on some blues or go heavy either way. we can pick up the acustics and play some dmb or robert earl king. i wish i could beat the hell out of some drums though.:guitar:

Sweet bro....I didnt know you played. That is kind of why I wanted to start this thread. We are stoners and I know I don't get to read or remember every post in every thread. I know some peeps on here play but was having a hard time putting names to them. I hve a drum set as well...it is apart and in the attic right now. I guess growing did beat out music at least once....the grow room was my music room.:) I can play basic stuff on the drums but I cldnt play in a band. At least not a good one...lol

HomieHogleg said:
Back in High school, I played Trombone, Baritone, Tuba, Violin, Viola, Cello, Double Bass. After High School, I played Bass guitar, and Blues Fiddle. Played in a jazz quartet, and a few rock bands. Probably my biggest influence, was Frank Zappa. I went off the deep end, on cocaine, in the early 80s, and sold all of my instruments, for blow. I just recently picked up the fiddle again, and am learning bluegrass. When I get my health situation back under control, I will probably really get back into music again. I am playing with a small keyboard now, since I can't play anything else one handed.

HomieHogleg
I love bluegrass, which is part of why I want to take up banjo and violin. Barn dance music is really Celtic music imported to this country by Irishmen, Welshmen and Scotsmen.

YYZ Skinhead said:
I love bluegrass, which is part of why I want to take up banjo and violin. Barn dance music is really Celtic music imported to this country by Irishmen, Welshmen and Scotsmen.
I put myself through school working in an Irish Pub. I later worked in an out of the way mountain valley restaurant, and heard a lot of BlueGrass. Noticed the similarities and fell in love with the style. By the way, BlueGrass musicians hate it when the fiddle is refered to as a violin. A fiddle, can have the same strings as a violin, or a viola, but the bridge is filed down a bit to allow the easier playing of multiple strings at once.

Have a great week

HomieHogleg

HomieHogleg said:
I put myself through school working in an Irish Pub. I later worked in an out of the way mountain valley restaurant, and heard a lot of BlueGrass. Noticed the similarities and fell in love with the style. By the way, BlueGrass musicians hate it when the fiddle is refered to as a violin. A fiddle, can have the same strings as a violin, or a viola, but the bridge is filed down a bit to allow the easier playing of multiple strings at once.

Have a great week

HomieHogleg
I was wondering about the terminology, because I have always heard fiddle for country and folk and violin for jazz and classical. I had no idea that there was a real "anatomical" difference between the two. :eek: If the fingering is different I will need to learn both. Were you self-taught?

Happy Thanksgiving

YYZ Skinhead said:
I was wondering about the terminology, because I have always heard fiddle for country and folk and violin for jazz and classical. I had no idea that there was a real "anatomical" difference between the two. :eek: If the fingering is different I will need to learn both. Were you self-taught?

Happy Thanksgiving

I learned Classical violin, and viola, when I was a child, and played in orchestras, all through school. I am self taught on the fiddle. There is no difference in the fingering, just in the style of play. In Bluegrass you will be fingering 2 notes at a time on different strings at the same time, where in classical you finger one string at a time.
The only difference, anatomically, is the filed down bridge. I keep both bridges, so I can set my instrument up for either style of play in just a few minutes. I am hoping to pick up another instrument so I can have one of each, but I will need to save, for awhile to afford it.
Have a great week, and a Happy Thanksgiving.

HomieHogleg

If you look closely at my avatar, you will see my banjo hanging on the wall behind my dog. I checked my computer and don't have any pics of my banjo without me playing the instrument. I'll take a few of just the banjo and post them.

I love to play Old Timey music, the kind of stuff that was featured in the movie, " Oh Brother Where Art Though?". I play clawhammer style of banjo which is different than the 3 finger style played with bluegrass. I am also a big fan of Celtic, folk, and some old country.

Good thread Hammie. All this time, the only things I thought you played where empty toilet paper rolls and the hampser wheel:D

MC

mainechowder said:
If you look closely at my avatar, you will see my banjo hanging on the wall behind my dog. I checked my computer and don't have any pics of my banjo without me playing the instrument. I'll take a few of just the banjo and post them.

I love to play Old Timey music, the kind of stuff that was featured in the movie, " Oh Brother Where Art Though?". I play clawhammer style of banjo which is different than the 3 finger style played with bluegrass. I am also a big fan of Celtic, folk, and some old country.

Good thread Hammie. All this time, the only things I thought you played where empty toilet paper rolls and the hampser wheel:D

MC

Very cool MC....I wld love to learn to play the banjo. I took up the toilet paper rolls and hamster wheel after I took up growing.:) My love of music goes back to the day I put my dad's old LP's on....I remember listening to The Doors "The Doors", Jimi Hendrix are you experienced and Led Zeppelin I back when I was around 5 back in 1973 one day and things changed.:D

I share your love of music Hammie. I am a few years younger than you, but my first album was , " News of The World" by Queen. It was around 1976 and I was 5 years old. My uncle gave me the album and I almost wore that thing out. The picture on the inside of the album cover scared my younger brother and gave him nightmares so my parents took the album from me. They told me if I wanted to listen to Rock & roll music, I should listen to "this" and they handed me a double album of Elvis Presley's greatest hits. I played that one to death also. From then all, all my spare birthday money and allowance went towards buying 45's. In the 80's I become a big fan of metal and really got into the hair bands of the 80's.

My love for Old Time & folk music came from my Dad. He played guitar and banjo and it seemed that he always had a friend or 2 over to the house jamming. Even though it wasn't my first choice in music style, I always loved listening and dancing to them playing and singing. What a great way to grow up.

MC

PS: I just looked up the album, " News of the World" and it was released in 1977, so it couldn't have been 1976 as I stated before. So I must have been 6 or 7 years old when I obtained the album. Just wanted to clarify that so that some die-hard Queen fan didn't call me out on the misinformation!

Latest posts

Back