Can i clone under a 400 watt hps?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JollyGreen

Reaction score
My fluros are not working at the moment, don't know why but i just took clones and all i have is a 400 watt hps and my buddy said that i wass too strong and would kill the clones in one day. Is this true should i go get new fluros or will the 400 be fine?

IM your better off to get new fluros,, the HPS put off the wrong spectrum of light to promote rooting.

ive cloned under hps before, and it seemed to take forever to get cuttings to roots. recently i replaced my 65watt CFL bulb with a 12(?) watt CFL bulb and my cuttings seem to root quicker.

i believe i heard somewhere that too much light can slow rooting?

keep it as far from the clones as possible. Got any cfls and a desk lamp?

Less light is mo better.....but you can do it under an HPS if need be. I wld keep the light plenty far away though...I believe intense light is counter productive to throwing roots. I like rusty find a smaller cfl does better then the larger ones. Jmo

Thanks to all for the advice, It sounds like the hps isn't the right tool for this job so i just went out and picked up two new fluros I clone a lot so i figured this was best. What do you guys think about the t5's?

IMO they are the best fluros on the market right now

I'm with Ozzy--I love my T5s. They put out about the same amount of lumens per watt as a MH with far less heat. I believe the fact that you can keep them within inches of the canopy and that the light is spread more evenly makes them more efficient than MH.

HO T5's are the bomb....period. They might allow me to run a mom tent throughout the entire hot summer. Best veg lights I have ever used.

The Hemp Goddess said:
I'm with Ozzy--I love my T5s. They put out about the same amount of lumens per watt as a MH with far less heat. I believe the fact that you can keep them within inches of the canopy and that the light is spread more evenly makes them more efficient than MH.

:yeahthat: couldn't have said it better myself ;)

i love my t5 setup. it is the bees knees. i wouldnt put my clones under it though.

Latest posts

Back