Can I do this or am I a Retard???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DillaWilla

Reaction score
Ok quick question...I hope it is not a stupid question:p As some of you know I currently have four plants in veg almost 6 weeks old, they all have alternating nodes and are ready to go to flower. The problem is I am still about 1-2 weeks away from having the funds for my 400 watt HPS. I can definitely flower with my 400 watt MH (w/ full spectrum bulb) but the problem is I have 4 Misty plants in veg that are only a week old so I can not use my light just for flowering. My plan was to have the HPS sooner unfortunately it did not work that way. So herein lies the question: My flowering room is already set up it's just missing the light, so could I for just 1-2 weeks keep my 4 plants I want to flower in the veg box under the MH for 12 hours and move them to total darkness in the flower room for 12 hours and basically manually manipulate the light schedule by moving them back and forth? I dont plan on doing this the whole time as they will stretch too big for my veg space but rather just until I have the funds for the HPS. Is this a stupid idea? Should I just leave them in Veg until I get the light? I really wanted to get them started on 12/12 so I could tell sex for sure. Your advice is appreciated.:D

I forsee problems with moving flowering plants around.
If at all possible, wait until you get an adequate light.

I dont know if this makes a difference, I wasnt very clear on the distance. They will only be moved a matter of a few feet to the flowering chamber of the grow room. i dont know if you thought I was moving them to another location or something. Maybe this helps, or not!

You can do it but be real careful to be right on time with moving them, especially in the beginning, herming them could be an issue.

say dillawillia,

alot of people do just that non stop :D

save's on power no?

i dont see much of any problem really... could break a stem or something but no biggie really

in the past when i have done this i just tried to do it with 1/2 hour time period every day.... same as a plant outdoors the light cycle doesnt have to be perfect and can be changed a little bit every day just like the seting sun :cool:

grow on

Just be very careful not to flex the containers. Doing so might break a lot of roots. A lot of roots are hair-like, and will break with hardly any stress.

If you slide the container onto something else and drag it to your next room, it might make it safer.

You know your layout and can make the best decison about that.

Good luck to you man!

OK I tried it for three days and it is a real hassle, I put them into darkness at 9am before work and then into light at 9pm before bedtime. This works but not if I cant be home at those times. Last night I was out with some friends who are in from out of town and my wife was supposed to put them back into light for me at 9pm however she forgot, went to bed and when I got home at 2:30am they were still in the dark:eek: I put them back into light and they look ok today however I am not going to put them back into 12/12 until I get an additional HID (HPS) which will be in one week. Will this be OK they were in 12/12 for 3 days and now I am putting them back in veg. Also they stayed the dark for 17 hours yesterday:mad: Will this hurt them or stress them, or should they be ok????...they do look ok today:) Your answers/advice are appreciated. Thanks, Peace Out and GG

DillaWilla said:
I am not going to put them back into 12/12 until I get an additional HID (HPS) which will be in one week. Will this be OK they were in 12/12 for 3 days and now I am putting them back in veg. Also they stayed the dark for 17 hours yesterday. Will this hurt them or stress them, or should they be ok????...GG
That short of a light change shouldn't have much effect on them. It'll take them a few days to readjust to the 24/7 lighting, but no long term effects from the difference in the last few days.

Good luck to you.

Latest posts

Back