Can I?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exile06

Reaction score
i was wondering if i can put 2 clones directly under a 70 watt Hps after they are rooted . also how close should i put the light? what would be a good temp for the clones to be at with the 70w Hps ? There still abit young only a couple weeks old. The clones are under Gro lux fluors until tuesday or wednesday to finish rooting. Also the 70w puts off about 7000 lumens is that ok for two clones , i will have my 400watt hps prolly before veg is done in time for flowering. also should i throw in some clfs during veg?

hps is wrong spectrum for clones / vegging unless you are flowering them. tempetures for clones need to be warm i suggest 75 to 80 degrees . also when you are ready to repot cfl work great for vegging and also with the lower dark spots during flowering with your 400hps . since your clones are rooting now i would suggest you to (KISS) dont add nothin not needed just keep doin what your doin until ready to flower with the exception of also adding a mh or cfl during veg after they are ready to repot .

say Exile06,

should be no problem with the 70 hps after the clones have rooted....

i clone and veg and reveg under a 1k hps eyehortalux no problem

as for how far away....use the back of the hand test

if your hand get's hot when on top of canopy level then light is to close

for my 1k hps it's around 3 feet

Thanks for Your Imput , i set the light up so its about 12'' to 14 inches away and im not feeling the heat from the bulb so i think im good to go!:cool:

I heard hps was ok for veg??, im using a 400watt for veg and it does the job.. Havent tried any clones yet.

hps worked fine for my clones after they had rooted. i have a 430w son agro

no one said an hps wouldnt work but an hps bye itself does not have i believe the blue and green spectrum that is needed for the vegitation stage . sure it will still grow but why give a child a bowl of cereal without the milk. i would suggest if you are gonna use the hps to also add as many of the cfl/ flos as you can get your hands onto to help grow faster and more fuller.

i do all my vegging under hps now,i know it doesnt have the blue-green spectrum light,but it works well for most strains.
as long as you have left your clones under the growlux long enough for them to have established roots they will do well vegging under hps light.what i have found works really well for me is to cut decent sized clones [6-7inches]high and after they have rooted [7-10 days] i leave them under the growlux for another month to really get them established with good roots and tight node spacing,then they go under an hps to veg and bud.IMO you will be fine vegging under your 400 hps

Skunk is correct. IMHO to get the female ratios up MH or Florous for veg. HPS for flower. but you can do a full grow with an HPS. That can't be aurgued. MH/(cool white)Florous=summer time sun. HPS=Fall sun.
but one grow area you are limited. So you can go with the HPS all the way through.

To me the best scenerio is MH/florous on 24/hr schedule keeping the moms and clones going, then pack female clones under an HPS @ 12/12 schedule. Seeds starts just take too long. Perpetual harvest is the key. IMHO.

i should have said that i dont grow from seed,all my plants are from clones,the hps works well for these

with clones you should be fine.
atleast i hope so, because this will be my first time veg. with HPS also.:confused:

i myself like to veg for up to 3 to 4 months to maxiumize my harvest with a little LST to have room . patience is the key to double or triple your harvest.

so i bought 6 ,1600 lumen cfls that = about 10,000 lumens which i am going to put into my garden to help me in veg. im only growing one clone but im going to be taking cuttings from it some time in veg. will 10,000 lumens be enough for the one clone instead of using the hps for veg.

sure it will as long as you try to keep the cfl within an inch from it. try to find them little work light reflectors to help keep the lumens concentrated to the right area . they sell them at walmart for like 5 or 6 $.

so the cfls togther will work fine and i wont have to use my hps until flowering is that right?? 10k lumens from 6 cfls, will do fine through veg and im going to be LSTing the one female then im taking cuttings so i will be able to continue my grow in the future. and should i run them 24/7 all the way through veg right? not 18/6 , also i dont want my plant to flower earily bc i want it to veg for atleast almost 2 months then flower it, will i get preflowers in veg if the lights are on 24/7?:confused:

That should be plenty of lumens for a mother and some clones. I would do what skunk said and get a reflector though.
HPS for flower is perfect.
veg 18/6 or 24/7 both work fine. I run 24/7 myself though. one less timer.
Pre-flowers during veg take at least 6 weeks. but I do that as well. Re-vegging is just unnecessary stress IMHO. If you don't want to wait. take a cutting..root it..and flower that. Wait until week 4 IMHO. Take a few cuttings to root while your at it. put 1 in flower in the mean time veg the others. If it turns out to be female. then when it shows put the others in flower. I chuck the one I put into flower first as its ussually too puny to worry about. but if it turns out to be male, you just wasted a couple of bucks worth of supplies. No biggie. IMHO

Your thinking is right on track for getting a regular scheduled harvest. If it turns out to be a good donor female. I'd keep in veg for a while and just use cuttings. At least get a few harvests off the female. You spent the time to establish one might as well get the most out of it. I would also try to set-up at least two different strains. That way you got a little variety.

ok I have 2 clones under a 100watt Mh and a 70 watt Hps reflected at them also. is that ok ? the Mh seems to put of more heat then the little Hps. they just came from under 6 1600 Lumen Cfl's today . the clones rooted under the cfls then i put the Mh and hps in my clone box today and the temp sits at 81.7 and has not changed the humidity is 40% im trying to get it up around 50 or so . should i just use the hps or both or just the Mh ?? i have the Mh about 8.5 inches away from the tops of the plants. its warm on the hands but i think thats ok? its not like really hot or anything. im also using mylar to reflect the light.

more light the better as long as it has the light spectrums needed. when i mentioned reflector earlier on wasnt talking about wall reflectors was talking about light reflectors on the light itself like your hps and mh should have . they make smaller ones to put on smaller lights.

Latest posts

Back