Can inline fans handle 2 cooltubes at once?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mick

Reaction score
I have one 1k HPS with an Ipower cooltube hood. It's basically the hood with a glass tube down the center that keeps air flowing directly over the bulb then out the other side. I have it pulling air from outside (there is an input filter), running through the hood, then out the other side of the room. I have a second 1k coming this week and was wondering if I can vent the hoods in sequence to save a couple hundred on the inline fan set up. The output doesn't seem particularly warm, I just don't want to burn up the second light with excess heat from the first light. Thanks in advance.

Can you run them in parallel rather than running them in series?

I think I can, but I'm worried if I split the air flow, it might not be moving enough air over the bulbs. That's definitely something I need to consider and test, good idea. Thanks

Every bend in the piping reduces the flow by 10%. If you use hard ducting you get near rated airflow. Flex pipe reduces airflow by 10%, every bend reduces air by 10% and each light fixture reduces flow by 22%. You do the math.

A proper Y fitting will actually increase your cooling capability.

I assume a 90 deg. bend decreases air flow more than a 45 deg(like 10% for 90’s and maybe 7%-ish for 45’s). Is that a correct assumption?

I do not know the percentages, but your assumption that a 90 slows things down more than a 45 is correct.

I assume a 90 deg. bend decreases air flow more than a 45 deg(like 10% for 90’s and maybe 7%-ish for 45’s). Is that a correct assumption?
That's correct. I spent 2015 installing furnaces. Its amazing how much the little things matter. Next time you are playing around with your ventilation, turn on the fan and move the hose around you can hear the pitch of the motor change with the hose.

Thx St_Nick. My ventilation looks like someone with no experience running duct work did it(because I did it and have no experience with it). Hard ducting(with minimum bend points) is a must before next summer...

Wow, that's really good to know, thanks a lot St_Nick. I'm using 6" flex pipe I think (the stuff you'd use for a dryer, but seems a lot more sturdy), and have it hung to be out of the way, with no consideration for the loss of air flow for bends. Will fix that as soon as the lights kick in tomorrow. I like the Y fitting idea too, I think that should do it once I get the kinks straightened out. *edit:I know, this is what you said too THG. If the two of you agree, I'm sold. I was trying to figure out how to split the wind current. I've never done any sort of ventilation work and didn't know how to approach a split or make it work right :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back