can it be done

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldgeezer

Reaction score
I have a space roughly 3 ft by 4 ft by 7 ft. Is it possible, using only florescent fixtures and bulbs, to be successful growing marijuana. If so what bulbs and how many fixtures.

Yes it can be done....but it can be done better with hid lighting for flowering. Jmo

Six 4-foot T5 fluorescents would fill that. Half of the bulbs blue, the other half red.

You'll need a carbon filter and a fan too.

King Bud said:
Six 4-foot T5 fluorescents would fill that. Half of the bulbs blue, the other half red.

You'll need a carbon filter and a fan too.

6 of the two bulb fixtures.. 12 bulbs in total.. ;) would bring you up to recommended lumen for that area

Thanks for the info but now you through a curve with carbon filter.
This is a new project for a new grower. Looking forward to a long
relationship Thanks Much Again

jimreadynow said:
I have a space roughly 3 ft by 4 ft by 7 ft. Is it possible, using only florescent fixtures and bulbs, to be successful growing marijuana. If so what bulbs and how many fixtures.

I was able to get 8+ ounces in a grow out of an area 2ft by 4ft by 9 ft with t5s....... I had 12 4ft bulbs in the area........ heat and odor were my enemies....... I won't use T5's to flower again I love them for veg....... a 600wat HPS carries my grows to dankville and there will be no going back to less than dank.:icon_smile::icon_smile:

Grower13 said:
I won't use T5's to flower again I love them for veg....... a 600wat HPS carries my grows to dankville and there will be no going back to less than dank.:icon_smile::icon_smile:

I hear that.....:) IMO if you can go with HPS lighting in flower then you shld or you are doing yourself and your strains a disservice. Jmo

It's not popular around here, growing with flo's, but if you look up faderharley check out his grow that he did with compact florescent bulbs. Welcome to MP, stay safe. PEACE!! P.S. If smell is not a problem you can do without the filter.

powerplanter said:
It's not popular around here, growing with flo's, but if you look up faderharley check out his grow that he did with compact florescent bulbs. Welcome to MP, stay safe. PEACE!! P.S. If smell is not a problem you can do without the filter.

Yes, Harley has done it, but have you checked the watts he is using? As I remember, he is running over 2000W of CFLs. He could most likely be running a 1000W HPS and get a better yield. Half the watts, more bud, it is a no-brainer to me. I truly do not understand anyone wanting to use CFLs for flowering when HID are so much cheaper and better.

No one here says that you cannot get a crop with CFLs, you can. It is just that it, lumen for lumen, CFLs cost at least twice as much as HPS, they put out more heat, they generally cost more to purchase initially, and they produce substantially less bud. When you do the math, there is no question which is better and cheaper to run--HPS will beat CFLs any day.

THG is right. Can it be done? Yes, but you would be better off with a 400w/HPS digital ballast. Or 600.

T5s for Vegging,,HPS for Flowering.
And I have Flowered with T5s, and got good results,,but ya cant beat HPS when it comes to Flowering good tight Buds. Nor can ya beat the Lum per Watt ratio of HPS.
T5s rock though in Vegging, Ya can put them right on top the canopy for thick growth.

:ciao: Im :stoned:

Take care and be safe

Latest posts

Back