can male plants autoflower when they get larger

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chriswhit123

It's always 420 somewhere
Reaction score
I have had this issue a couple times with non auto flower strains under 24 hours of light. None of my female plants do this. I'm in the process of cloning and sexing and soon selecting mothers and fathers. I read somewhere that males can flower if they get large enough even if light cycle isn't changed but I don't know how reliable a source it was. could it be bad genetics? My issue is I want to save my males till I know which one I want to use then heavily seed a few plants in a breeding chamber. I also wanted to save a clone from both male and females that I used but if what I read about males is true then saving one might not be possible. Maybe I don't need to save it but I know I don't wanna just collect pollen and save it as I never had much luck keeping it viable especially when i keep it more than a month which in this case I'd need to plus I want more than 20-30 seeds so that I can have a larger selection next grow to select a phenotype or 2 and males from that batch and have a bunch of the F1 seeds left and do the same with F2 and so on for future back crossing. Is there a way to stop my male from flowering? I did take clones that are not flowering(just starting to root). Part of me says kill it but if it turns out to be my only male and the clones happen to not make it then all would be lost.
What would you do and why? The strain I have with this issue is Ultimate purple by BC bud depot. Last year my jack harrier males did the same.

Your source is unreliable. Your source for beans is so sketchy, won't even get into it here. BC Bud Depot has such a bad reputation, I won't even touch their stuff. I'd start with known good genetics from a reputable breeder. Stop with the hype strains already.

While both males and females can and will show preflowers while they are still in veg, neither the males or the females will go into full blown flowering while under 24 hr light. If they are sketchy breeders, could there be some ruderalis thrown in there? If you are having males go into actual flowering while in veg, I don't think I would be using it for breeding stock. That is an undesirable trait and one you wouldn't want to pass on.

Please for the love of all that is holy don't use those plants for seed stock. It's like breeding a German shepherd that failed its hip dysplasia test. Those genes need to be kicked outta the pool. In my very very humble opinion, a new breeder is best off using old well worn genetics. If you start with trustworthy stock that suits your style, with dominant hardy traits, you will come across fun and fabulous strains you can cross it to any time! And you will eventually find strong fun offspring to call your own.
There are too many pollenchuckers in the world already (though we lost one recently)... don't fall into that trap please!
Anything originally bred by Soma, BOG, or Bodhi can be trusted implicitly. Among them is at least a century + of wisdom and truly standout beans.

Please for the love of all that is holy don't use those plants for seed stock. It's like breeding a German shepherd that failed its hip dysplasia test. Those genes need to be kicked outta the pool. In my very very humble opinion, a new breeder is best off using old well worn genetics. If you start with trustworthy stock that suits your style, with dominant hardy traits, you will come across fun and fabulous strains you can cross it to any time! And you will eventually find strong fun offspring to call your own.
There are too many pollenchuckers in the world already (though we lost one recently)... don't fall into that trap please!
Anything originally bred by Soma, BOG, or Bodhi can be trusted implicitly. Among them is at least a century + of wisdom and truly standout beans.

I have 9 different strains with 4 mothers of each. my plan was to pick the best mother of each after smoking them and seeing how they grow then make one cross. My questions were mostly to see if the male flowering was normal. I dont know if Ill like the ultimate purple enough for a cross but I have multiple sealed breeding chambers and was thinking I'd make seeds that arnt crosses and preserve what I have so that I dont have 25-30 mother plants that I might not use for 3 or so grow seasons. I'm a landrace indica kind of guy. I prefer couch lock strains at work. maybe my tolerance is to high. I probably get a buzz from a sativa but its so mild I don't notice it. I had read a few months back that keeping a male for lengthy time(years) that they can go into flowering which is why I asked here. that ones not that old but its about 5 feet tall

Landrace Indicas are truly burly stock. Most of my garden has one sort or another in the previous generation or two.
I see what you're getting at- never had a male that old and now I'm curious if they don't age well lol ! Theoretically they should remain constant over time though. Hmm.
Yup I've never managed to keep pollen viable, seems like a rare art for. So I get that you'd want to have a choice male until you find the perfect female. Maybe try another pack of beans and see if the next guy behaves better!

I'll probably find other males where not all is sexed yet. I decided to kill that one and its clones. I've watched many videos about selecting phenotypes but there dont seem to be many on selecting males. I did find a pretty nice one though. In the past Ive had 3 strains that did this with every male I got so I looked back in my notes every strain that had this issue came from BC buds. Makes me wonder now if there mimicking strains but using auto flowers as one of the parents or something. Autos are not my thing the jack herer fast had a couple mothers autoflower also they were the bc bud version. Wish I noticed this pattern before. I had thought it was a dishonest seed bank switching beans so I switched places and got same results so now I know the difference.

Latest posts

Back