can plants absorb nute particles?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfer Joe

Reaction score
I noticed when I mixed my canna aqua nutes for a hydro bucket, the solution looked cloudy and with fine particles floating in the water.
The nute solution turned clear as I set the pH, but there was a bit of particle sludge lying at the bottom of the bucket.
When I stirred it, the little particles went back to floating in the nute water.
My question is, do the nutes have to be completely dissolved in the water for the roots to absorb them?

Its best to have them as dissolved as possible, but that doesn't mean they are bioavailable to plants. Usually there needs to be an interaction within the soil, whether it be with microbes or other cations in the medium before the food is in a form the roots can adsorb.

I have the issue of undissolved solids in the bottom of my water can with a few nutrients I use. I try and combat that by using an air-stone in the water can when I have nutrients in there. Other powder amendments I need to let soak for almost 24 hrs to dissolve as much as possible. Never fully dilutes but I just make sure not to pour the last of the can, the "hot shot" onto any of the containers.

I'm growing in a hydro bucket at the moment, not in soil.

lol, that would make a bit of a difference :) Sorry, I know almost zero about the ins and outs of hydro.

The bubblers should take care of things like that. Never had a problem with solids being a problem when i was growing DWC. I mixed my nutes in a separate bucket and bubbled them for 24 hrs,,checked and adjusted PH and added to my DWC. Never really paid any attention to small particles.

Latest posts

Back