Can Sativa cause couchlock???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Intuitive Philosopher

DeepInhaler/DeepThinker
Reaction score
So I'm still baffled by the fact that Indica and Sativa cause different types of highs :confused2: I still can't help but think it has more to do with the level of "stoneness" and THC content.... :ignore:

So my question is, has anyone ever smoked so much Sativa that you experienced couchlock???

It would be nice to do an experiment where I had an indica dom strain and a sativa dom strain with the exact same THC content. I can then do a controlled experiment and know for sure.

I like it all regardless :laugh:

:bong:

I have smoked couchlock sativa. Just wait until the trichs are mostly amber before harvesting=couchlock bud.

I think that regardless of letting the trichs get amber on a sativa you will still never get that true couch locked feeling like from an indica..you might alter it a lil bit but it will still tend to be more towards the mind high then the couch lock body high...I might be wrong but I thought it had to do with the cabinoids (sic?) and not so much the thc...

Confusion is my specialty. Don't take my info to the bank. The one and only time I was truly couchlocked was at a friend's "going away" party. His brother was rolling fat js of Trainwreck all night with kief on top. After J #3 I wasn't moving much, lol. RIP, HJ
If I knew I was dying, I would throw myself a fine 'ol party too.

From what i understand its the cbd's that create the couch-lock effect. Most sativas dont have this as the indica's do.
Hick ?

meds4me said:
From what i understand its the cbd's that create the couch-lock effect. Most sativas dont have this as the indica's do.
Hick ?

That's what I hve heard...thc is thc but the amount of cbd's will cause the couch-lock high...

ahh, thanks Hamster and Meds. I'm really anxious to do a self controlled experiment. I have been toking for 18 years and never realized there was a difference. :confused2: It is nice to know that you can have that kind of control over your high though! Unfortunately as of riight now, I'm just a toker and not a grower so I will have to wait until I run into a known sativa strain to try my experiment. I'm in BFE so it may be awhile. Has anyone else personally done this type of experiment? :confused:

Intuitive Philosopher said:
ahh, thanks Hamster and Meds. I'm really anxious to do a self controlled experiment. I have been toking for 18 years and never realized there was a difference. :confused2: It is nice to know that you can have that kind of control over your high though! Unfortunately as of riight now, I'm just a toker and not a grower so I will have to wait until I run into a known sativa strain to try my experiment. I'm in BFE so it may be awhile. Has anyone else personally done this type of experiment? :confused:

I wld bet there are quite a few peeps on here who keep both indica buds and sativa buds on hand...I know I want to grow both...nothing worse then smoking a potent cerebral bud right before bed and then laying there awake for 2 hours with work in the morning....:) This has happened to me once and it was a rough day at work the next day...same can be said about smoking some couch-lock at noon on a Saturday and then getting nothing you had planned done...:D

Hamster Lewis said:
I wld bet there are quite a few peeps on here who keep both indica buds and sativa buds on hand...I know I want to grow both...nothing worse then smoking a potent cerebral bud right before bed and then laying there awake for 2 hours with work in the morning....:) This has happened to me once and it was a rough day at work the next day...same can be said about smoking some couch-lock at noon on a Saturday and then getting nothing you had planned done...:D

You got that right. :aok:

Try growing some Durban Poison HL. Nice easy Sativa to grow and a big yielded. Durban Poisons are like 10 weeks instead of the 14-16 weeks

pcduck said:
You got that right. :aok:

Try growing some Durban Poison HL. Nice easy Sativa to grow and a big yielded. Durban Poisons are like 10 weeks instead of the 14-16 weeks

I will hve to gve that a try...I hve stayed away from sativas because of height and time of flowering...I hve been dying to grow one though...might need to place an order for beans and get this in the tent this grow...:D

Thanks pc....:)

We are most concerned with the capitate-stalked trichomes, as these contain the overwhelming majority of the psychoactive cannabinoids (THC, THCV, CBN). Different cannabinoids affect the high in a multifaceted manner.

THC:
delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol & delta-8-tetrahydrocannabinol - THC mimics the action of anandamide, a neurotransmitter produced naturally in the body, which binds with the cannabinoid receptors in the brain to produce the ‘high’ associated with marijuana. THC possesses high UV-B (280-315 nm) absorption properties.

THCV:
tetrahydrocannabivarin - prevalent in certain South African and Southeast Asian strains of cannabis. It is said to produce a ‘clearer high’ & seems to possess many of the therapeutic properties of THC.

CBD:
cannabidiol - previously believed to be psychoactive, or to contribute to the high by interacting with other cannabinoids, conversely the most recent research indicates that CBD has negligible effect on the high, it is however a strong anti-inflammatory, and may take the edge off some THC effects, such as anxiety. CBD as a non-psychoactive cannabinoid appears to be helpful for many medical conditions. CBD biosynthesizes into cannabinol (CBN) & tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).

CBN:
cannabinol - a degradation product of THC, produces a depressant effect, ‘fuzzy’ forehead.

CBC:
cannabichromene - non-psychoactive , a precursor to THC.

CBG:
cannabigerol - non-psychoactive, hemp strains often posses elevated levels of CBG while possessing only trace amounts of THC.

Heavy trichome production is not necessarily an indication of a potent plant. Some hemp strains have moderate layers of trichomes yet pack only a strong headache. In a drug strain, a thick layer of trichomes is a symbol that it may well posses an elevated potency level, but it is certainly not a guarantee.

What defines a cannabis drug strain is the plant's ability to produce THC & THCV.
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1938

there's a bit more 'in depth' reading here.. hXXp://www.mellowgold.com/grow/mjbotany-removed/marijuanabotany4.html

Wow, great info everyone! Thanks and big thanks to Hick for the quote! I never knew there was so much research and different highs available depending on the chemical elements of the bud. Now, I'm REALLY interested in doing a test! Thanks for the tip about the Durban PC, I'll keep that in mind if I decide to grow again.

Thanks Hick for the qoutes! Its been an on-going debate here locally and in doing my part i found out about the cbd's and cbn's. I was always thought indi's were mostly couchlock and Sat are head high's. Now its a bit of both ~

Latest posts

Back