Can you run a 600w bulb in a 1000w powered down to 50%?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No it does not work like that. If you have it on the 1/2 setting, it should turn on at around 500 watts. But if youre using a 600 watt bulb you will not be using the bulb at its peak efficiency and your spectrum will change from the bulbs specs

So, you're saying that the bulb won't burn because it will only be lit to 500w? Then why is everyone saying it's dangerous?

It is dangerous because it CAN overheat and it can explode. It could well be that when you first fire up the ballast that it does send 1000W through the bulb to get it going and then kick down to 1/2 power. If the manufacturer of a product tells you not to do it, then I wouldn't do it. I cannot even imagine how horrible it would be to come home to a burned out hulk of a house and also have the police waiting to take me away on charges of cultivation...IMO, some things are just not worth taking the chance on.

No matter the make no matter the model never run a lamp less than the wattage listed. Also never use those shitty splitters, your only damaging your lamps.

It is dangerous because it CAN overheat and it can explode. It could well be that when you first fire up the ballast that it does send 1000W through the bulb to get it going and then kick down to 1/2 power. If the manufacturer of a product tells you not to do it, then I wouldn't do it. I cannot even imagine how horrible it would be to come home to a burned out hulk of a house and also have the police waiting to take me away on charges of cultivation...IMO, some things are just not worth taking the chance on.

No matter the make no matter the model never run a lamp less than the wattage listed. Also never use those shitty splitters, your only damaging your lamps.

Perhaps you guys are right..

Though, isn't running the bulb at 50% also risky? Seems like everything is in this business.

not when it is the bulb designed for the ballast

only life of bulb and spectrum is compromised

Along with lumens that equate to light penetration. Remember though your "dimmable" ballast says 70% wattage meaning your dimming the wattage by 30% the lumens and the light spectrum dim more than 50%.

Also those shitty "Dial a Watt" ballasts. Your not changing the wattage, your dimming the ballast still. Thus doing the same affect to the lamp. It's all in the false marketing :)

ok most ballasts are pulse start
they are sending a higher initial voltage then what it takes to run the bulb
so if your ballast is 1000w then it is sending a high voltage pulse that is rated at what ever is needed to fire off a 1000w

Along with lumens that equate to light penetration. Remember though your "dimmable" ballast says 70% wattage meaning your dimming the wattage by 30% the lumens and the light spectrum dim more than 50%.

Also those shitty "Dial a Watt" ballasts. Your not changing the wattage, your dimming the ballast still. Thus doing the same affect to the lamp. It's all in the false marketing :)
personally i dont care what the light is drawing i just like being able to start seedlings under the same light :)
im off subject though ;)

So, you're saying that the bulb won't burn because it will only be lit to 500w? Then why is everyone saying it's dangerous?
It will burn just not at the.spectrum the bulb is supposed to have because you arent running it at the capacity it was made for.

Perhaps you guys are right..

Though, isn't running the bulb at 50% also risky? Seems like everything is in this business.
No running a bulb at 50 percent isnt risky, just changes the spectrum the bulb puts out.

I hate to downright disagreed, but running a 600W bulb in a 1000W ballast IS dangerous. You have a fire danger. However, I am tired of arguing with you. Go ahead and put the 600W in the 1000W and we'll just hope that you don't come home one day to a burned out hulk of a house and the police waiting to take you to jail. THAT is what you are risking.

LOL.. that other crowd seems to have left so I might as well go back to being the most obnoxious one.... LOL

Goddess, I hope we never meet because when we do, I'll bet you're going to punch me right in the nose. LOL Buuuuuuuuuuuut, the way I understand it, he is not running the 600w bulb in a 1000w ballast. That would be very dangerous. Since the ballast is turned down 50%, he is running a 600w bulb in a 500w ballast. Right?

Not so sure that's a good idea for him and his ballast but my 1000w ballast manual says it is fine to use a 600w bulb as long as the ballast is set to 600w.

I hate to downright disagreed, but running a 600W bulb in a 1000W ballast IS dangerous. You have a fire danger. However, I am tired of arguing with you. Go ahead and put the 600W in the 1000W and we'll just hope that you don't come home one day to a burned out hulk of a house and the police waiting to take you to jail. THAT is what you are risking.

I said that running a bulb at half power isnt dangerous. Not that running a bulb with half the power of your ballast isnt.

Latest posts

Back