Can you run a 600w bulb in a 1000w powered down to 50%?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Track

Reaction score
I can't seem to find any 1000w bulbs around here, so if one of mine breaks, can I turn down my ballast to 50% and run a 600w bulb?

What make and model ballast? If it has an adjustment for different wattage, the answer is, probably yes.

The manufacturers do not advise that. I would expect substantially shorter bulb life, if it did not fry it right off the bat. Can you find a source online?

Mine will do that. I can run any bulb at any wattage as long as the wattage setting is less than the bulb rating.

Did you RTFM?

I'd have thought you would have contacted http://www.hydroshop.co.il/ and asked them if they could help you source a bulb seeing as they're your local hydro store

I'd have thought you would have read my OP and learned that 1000w bulbs are not sold in Israel.

Mine will do that. I can run any bulb at any wattage as long as the wattage setting is less than the bulb rating.

Did you RTFM?

I've heard of 400w in a 600w ballast, but can anyone guarantee my 1000w ballast won't be destroyed by putting a 600w bulb in it?

Once again you're really not trying hard enough.

Or, conversely, maybe you're simply not being proactive enough (like always).

Let's find out, shall we? Yes, we shall.

All of the hydro shops I've ever had dealings with are always very helpful in sourcing items that they do not currently stock perhaps you could ask them to source you some 1000w replacement bulbs. Its always good practice to have a spare.

Which is exactly what I did. There are 5 'Hydro shops' in the metropolitan area and none of them stock 1000w bulbs nor have the capability or ordering any.

Asking why didn't really help, until I searched for the ISO regulations for HPS bulbs and found that only 600w bulbs/ballasts have so far been regulated for use in Israel's electric infrastructure.

Whether this is bullshit or not, I cannot say, but I am certain that I cannot get any 1000w bulbs here, as I am pretty persuasive.

In your 1st post you did not say that 1000w bulbs are NOT sold in Israel you simply stated that you could not find any. Just as you did when you said that you couldn't find GH Flora series in Israel

I see. So, you're here pressing your luck and grandstanding over me because you managed to find one thing that I didn't know the name of nor cared enough to ask around for.

And all this because you're still butthurt about the fact that you weren't proactive enough to help me save my clones.

tut tut tut you really should try harder

And you should really learn to let go :)

Let's be very clear about something

Oh, this should be good.

YOU failed to listen to advice given to you regarding your cuttings and YOU described them as being rotten when in fact they were indeed viable and producing roots.

I described nothing. I showed you photos though which you failed to discern the nature of my cuttings.

It was YOU who chose to throw away viable cuttings.

Yes, based upon your advice, which I mistakenly trusted.

It was also YOU who then tried to shift the blame by claiming that I was not being proactive enough.

And you've been trying to ditch that blame ever since by flaming me like a small child.

I hope you've enjoyed it.

Why would I be butthurt because YOU threw away viable cuttings ?

I don't know. Why are you? Guilt?

We are not mind readers, maybe you should have made it very clear in your first post that you had spoken with your local Hydroponic store and that 1000w hps bulbs are not available to you locally.

Oh, I see. When I miss something, I should "try harder" but when you do it's "I'm not a mind reader". Nice attempt to group yourself with the rest of the members on these forums, though.

Here's an idea: why don't I relieve you of the responsibility to aid me again and you quit looking for red herrings on every one of my posts like a creepy lurker? Deal?

I can't find a user's manual for that ballast online. Do you still have the original owner's manual?

If all else fails, you can email the manufacturer and ask....

hxxp://www.ipowergrowlight.com/1411/

I can't find a user's manual for that ballast online. Do you still have the original owner's manual?

If all else fails, you can email the manufacturer and ask....

hxxp://www.ipowergrowlight.com/1411/

Yes, but they'll clearly rest on the 'better safe than sorry' adage as to avoid trouble.

I just need to know if anyone else has done it.

I don't see why it wouldn't work. I can digitally run my ballast at 50% which is 500w. 500w should be fine for a 600w bulb, no?

I can't find anything that says, specifically, yes or no.

My user's manual for my ballast definitely says you CAN do it. However, that's about all I found. And, your ballast is not my ballast.

You do anything like this with some risk but my opinion on it is that the new digital ballast design seems to be such that they will accommodate startup sequences for both MH and HPS. And, they accommodate various wattage as well so when set to a wattage lower than the bulb, it should be OK as long as the startup voltage is enough to kick start the lamp.

IMO a 600w bulb in a variable 1000w ballast set at 500w (or 50%) should be fine.

Again, that's only my opinion based on what I have read recently, not actual experience. So, take it with however many grains of salt you wish.

I don't understand what the problem is. Are you saying that Israel does not allow 1000w HPS bulbs to inter the country, or that because they are not used by the country, the venders will not carry them. Seems strange that Amazon does not deliver to Israel.

Your 1st Post and first thread with ZERO pics 03/24/2014

Wow, you even have the time and date. Clearly, you haven't been thinking about that incident ever since and have thus latched on to me in some sort of defensive guilt trip. Clearly.

My 1st reply
Your 6th post in this thread approx 16hrs after your 1st post and after multiple members had basically suggested "patience"

Yes, your first reply that said and I quote:
"Dump the cut with the rotten stem, rot can spread fast"

Looking at the cuts, they ALL looked rotten to me. ALL OF THEM.

The other members told me to have patience, but honestly? I deemed you the one to trust. How foolish of me, huh?

7 members replied to this thread basically suggesting that you had acted rashly and that viable roots could be seen in the pictures you supplied. YOU argued convinced that the cuttings were not viable but rotten.

I acted rashly? How?
I saw cuts that seemed 100% rotten to me, which YOU told me to get rid of and QUICK and trashed them.
This is what I mean by you should have been more proactive.
Telling someone who's only dealt with cuts once to "throw away any cuts that LOOK rotten" is poor advice.
Not to mention that piece of advice you've given me since then has been ****, but that on its own is why it's YOUR fault.
When I help people fix their computers I DO NOT tell them to perform ANY action until I am 100% certain of the underlying problem.
Yes, I was hasty, but to be honest, the cuts would have probably died anyway. They were soaked in water for so long they were as close as can be to rotting.
My new clones are about 8" tall by now and happy :)
I'm not putting that in your face but YOU NEED TO LET GO.

I'm neither butthurt or feeling any guilt

Right, that's why you're stalking me, giving me shitty advice and telling me:

No deal? Really? So, what.. you're going to KEEP stalking me?

Shoo, knat, shoo!

I don't understand what the problem is. Are you saying that Israel does not allow 1000w HPS bulbs to inter the country, or that because they are not used by the country, the venders will not carry them. Seems strange that Amazon does not deliver to Israel.

I'm saying that they're apparently not conforming to some sort of standard here so shops don't carry them in fear of either being sued or having to deal with unhappy customers (ostensibly because they believe that the standard means the ballasts won't work well here). I actually talked to one of the sellers and he warned me that this ballast will burn my house down. Salesmanship, right?

Yes, but your spectrum will be off of what the bulb is supposed to do, also if it accidentally gets switch to 1k, the bulb will explode and youll have a fire.

I have a genius idea. Wait for it. Jesus man. Go out and buy 2, 600 watt ballasts and couple bulbs to match if that is all the country can get in(sounds crazy). You now have more than 1k watts :) I would not interchange the bulbs. The less risky moves you do in this biz, better off you are.

"Dump the cut" = singular

Makes no difference how singular it was. You said "dump the cut that is rotten." Since they were all rotten (according to me), I dumped them all. You gave the order.

YOU did not post any pictures of the cuttings until approx 29hrs after you first viewed your concerns

Which is EXACTLY why you shouldn't have told me to throw anything away. You should have demanded to see photos first.
That would have been PROACTIVE.

and yet they did not appear rotten to me or the other members who tried to help you

Yes, retroactively, after I had already followed your generic guidelines and threw them away.

Besides, they were as close to rotten as I've seen.

characterized by or showing too great haste or lack of consideration

Too great a haste?
You TOLD ME to throw away the cut PRONTO.
Now you're blaming me for being hasty?

You acted rashly by throwing the cuttings away, perhaps it would have been better to post pictures in the first instance, before you threw them away, instead of waiting approx 29hrs and showing pictures after you had thrown away viable cuttings

But seeing that I hadn't posted pictures, you shouldn't have given the 'advice' of throwing ANYTHING away. That is your cross to bear, so bear it.

Besides, how would I have known if the cuttings were viable or not if I hadn't removed them from the cubes? Clearly, they looked rotten on the outside, so pictures wouldn't have helped much.

and yet they were NOT rotten, again perhaps you should have posted pictures before acting rashly

And you should have waited for pictures before rashly giving advice to kill viable clones.

I advised you to throw away one rotten cutting.
I DID NOT advise you to throw away "cuts that LOOK rotten"

But you only knew that that one cutting was rotten because I told you so.
So, telling me to throw it away is like saying "You think it's rotten, okay, throw it."
If you trust my judgement to that extent, then why not throw away the rest when they ALL looked rotten to me?

What is my fault ?

The fact that you told me to throw a cutting away base on my own perception of rot, not being proactive enough to think "Wait, if I'm telling him to throw one cutting away, without seeing it for myself first, then if all the cuttings are rotten.. he's going to throw them all away."
That's your fault. Right there.

any yet YOU threw the cuttings away before checking if they were rotten. They were not rotting, they were forming root nodes

I did check that they were rotten. I looked at them and you told me they were and trusted me to know to the extent that I could just throw it away at a whim.
Only later on, when I did post photos, did you sit there are think "Damn, I guess if I was a little more proactive, those cuttings would still be alive."

WOW Some 7 weeks after taking your cuttings they are just about 8" tall, why are they performing so badly ?

What..?
What do you mean badly?
4 weeks to clone and wait for everyone to root (don't have a hydro rooter yet).
2 weeks for them to settle into the medium and form nodes through which new leaves can grow.
1 week to go from 4" to 8".
Is that bad? Even if so, what does that have to do with this conversation?
This is marijuana, man. Anything is good :)

You have not been given shitty advice.

You mean in regards to the cuttings?
Perhaps not shitty, but certainly not proactive.

I was referring to the advice you've (attempted) to give me ever since, which has been grade-school terrible.

YOU have misinterpreted advice given to you.

As I have explained to you - I have not.
The advice was to throw away a cutting that looked rotten to ME. Since they all did, I got rid of them.

YOU argue with members about the advice that they give you.

Of course I do.
If I simply took advice given me as the word of God, I would have dead cuttings again.
But I don't argue - I discuss and logically form my opinion.

YOU have also admitted to acting hastily when YOU threw your cuttings away, that was a rash decision

Yeah, sure. It's partly my fault for listening. I have learned from that event, trust.

No, knat, no!

Don't roll your eyes at me - just SHOO!

Yes, but your spectrum will be off of what the bulb is supposed to do, also if it accidentally gets switch to 1k, the bulb will explode and youll have a fire.

My only concern is that the ballast first switched on the bulb to 1000w and then tunes it down to 500w. I don't know if it works this way or not.

I have a genius idea. Wait for it. Jesus man. Go out and buy 2, 600 watt ballasts and couple bulbs to match if that is all the country can get in(sounds crazy). You now have more than 1k watts :) I would not interchange the bulbs. The less risky moves you do in this biz, better off you are.

But, sir, that would cost more than twice as much as two 1000w kits.

I am no sucker.

http://www.420hydro.com/cat/158-Ballasts

http://www.hydroshop.co.il/cat/677-מערכות-השנקה

your local hydroponic stores stocks a range of ballasts from 150w through to 600w

Frankly, I'm surprised you've conceded your ludicrous point that they do, in fact, sell 1000w bulbs in Israel. What was it you said - I'm not looking hard enough? LMFAO.

Yes, and your local Gucci store stocks a variety of handbags suited for today's defensive gentleman. Why don't you go there and buy one?

My only concern is that the ballast first switched on the bulb to 1000w and then tunes it down to 500w. I don't know if it works this way or not.

But, sir, that would cost more than twice as much as two 1000w kits.

I am no sucker.

Frankly, I'm surprised you've conceded your ludicrous point that they do, in fact, sell 1000w bulbs in Israel. What was it you said - I'm not looking hard enough? LMFAO.

Yes, and your local Gucci store stocks a variety of handbags suited for today's defensive gentleman. Why don't you go there and buy one?

No it does not work like that. If you have it on the 1/2 setting, it should turn on at around 500 watts. But if youre using a 600 watt bulb you will not be using the bulb at its peak efficiency and your spectrum will change from the bulbs specs

Latest posts

Back