Candles for CO2?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm gonna shamelessly necro this thread.

From my tests it seems a candle is absolutely able to raise the CO2 in a room significantly:
1652275608972.png

I placed a scented IKEA candle in a bucket with water just enough so it doesn't flood the candle and left it in a room with door+ window closed.
I placed a netatmo CO2 sensor 130cm above the ground on a shelf.
I placed the candle at noon, and within a few hours I got a linear increase in CO2 concentration.

I would like to applaud Head_Down_Under for their calculations which seem to model it realistically.

Apart from this, forum seems pretty upset about someone asking this question.

CO2 is toxic to humans at elevated levels and should only be used by people with experience and know-how. Also, plants need fresh air which in tent grows are supplied by exhaust fans. If this experiment was done in a closed room without exhaust, the experiment was biased either by accident or design.

Will a candle raise the CO2 in an empty room? Absolutely.

Will it be enough for a 5’ plant to produce 6 ounces of herb? No.

Will it remove humidity? No.

A candle a day is gonna get expensive. Now you need a dehumidifier too..

Hang out with your girls. It does you both some good. Here is me blowing a rip at my CO2 meter. 😋
0D90C155-9666-46CF-9AE2-6A9595F95D14.jpeg
4E24D1DC-CA6B-40E0-A14F-5A117C2F67EA.jpeg

7769A60F-2DF9-4083-AE20-EEE2719E66F0.jpeg

So those ikea scented candles are quite expensive is this a temporary fix for your Co2 level? I’ve never checked my co2 Or worried about it I guess…
99.9 percent of people who attempt co2 are getting no benefit. If you don't have a strain you know what exact nutes it actually absorbs, exactly how much light is required at plants maximum absorption rate, and how much more par light you can dial in, and where you hit the next maximum absorption under CO2, you may as well fart in the tent.

As far as burning candles in a tent.....I will reserve comment on exactly how foolish that idea is....although Volkswagen did at one time, use a gasoline powered heater in cars.

Bubba

I use CO2 in my sealed grow room. It has made a difference in their rate of growth. As far as yield, I'm not sure. Once you buy the tank, regulator, timer, and controller, it ain't all that expensive.
It just makes sense. If you've got a sealed room and the plants use up all the CO2 in 4 hours, you're burning the lights for 10-12 hours is a waste of electricity. No CO2 = no growth.

From my tests it seems a candle is absolutely able to raise the CO2 in a room significantly:
View attachment 296551
I placed a scented IKEA candle in a bucket with water just enough so it doesn't flood the candle and left it in a room with door+ window closed.
I placed the candle at noon, and within a few hours I got a linear increase in CO2 concentration.

I would like to applaud Head_Down_Under for their calculations which seem to model it realistically.

1652303065237.png
1st Off WELCOME TO MARIJUANA PASSION
A Place for Knowledge And FUN......................
You are saying what is on your mind and everyone is entitled to do so ........
But , there are many experienced growers here and through trials and tribulations, most have concluded CO2 just does not work for them . Some people (very few) will benefit from CO2 if done under the proper conditions, and using Good equipment to monitor it.
Hang out Stay awhile learn and most importantly
Have some Fun.

But to use Candles is just plain CRAZY
WE:LCOME

Last edited:
I use CO2 in my sealed grow room. It has made a difference in their rate of growth. As far as yield, I'm not sure. Once you buy the tank, regulator, timer, and controller, it ain't all that expensive.
It just makes sense. If you've got a sealed room and the plants use up all the CO2 in 4 hours, you're burning the lights for 10-12 hours is a waste of electricity. No CO2 = no growth.

Just curious, why have a sealed grow room?

Do you use an AC and dehumidifier?

Do you use an AC and dehumidifier?
Yep, both. The two tanks are interconnected, and fed remotely from a connected tank outside the room. Temp readings, ph, and tds readings are all taken while sitting comfortably at my desk. Water/nute changes are done the same way. I even have a double door setup. The outside is a solid wood lockable exterior door, and upon opening, there's another door with a large plexiglass window for viewing. No chance of getting bugs in your grow, as the only time I go inside is when I'm fresh out of the shower and in a clean set of scrubs, and that's only to do bottom trimming or tucking tops back down under the screen. I don't like the twine/rope ones, so I use a large piece of heavy gauge hog panel.

The only fresh air that gets in really doesn't come in contact with the inside air. It's a duct with a fan that goes to the cool tubes and back out the other side of the room to get rid of the excess heat. MH and Sodium lights do get warm.

when you don't exchange the air you're missing out on having a better grow,,,I learned the hard way...

Fresh air being pulled in and stale air going out is all you need.

Yep, both. The two tanks are interconnected, and fed remotely from a connected tank outside the room. Temp readings, ph, and tds readings are all taken while sitting comfortably at my desk. Water/nute changes are done the same way. I even have a double door setup. The outside is a solid wood lockable exterior door, and upon opening, there's another door with a large plexiglass window for viewing. No chance of getting bugs in your grow, as the only time I go inside is when I'm fresh out of the shower and in a clean set of scrubs, and that's only to do bottom trimming or tucking tops back down under the screen. I don't like the twine/rope ones, so I use a large piece of heavy gauge hog panel.

The only fresh air that gets in really doesn't come in contact with the inside air. It's a duct with a fan that goes to the cool tubes and back out the other side of the room to get rid of the excess heat. MH and Sodium lights do get warm.
I am impressed. Some people might call you a control freak or anal but I think there is a lab in Wuhan that could have used your expertise… ;)

Just curious, why have a sealed grow room?
To me, recipe for disaster. No fresh air, no good mojo. Funny thing, we all seem to find ways that work for us, but not for others!

I can get almost (15.5 oz. ) 16 oz from 2x4, and approach 2 lbs. In 4x4. Much easier to get 12 and 24ish. Good nuff for Bubba.

Air is a great deal of CO2, I have constant air circulation, this constant co2 supply. I know you know what you are doing, I think it's just one of those things you have worked out for your grow.

I usually think in terms of yield. I guess the speed that you get that yield certainly figures in.

Auto correct wants to make "cow" out of co2.

Bubba

Last edited:
I had what i considered a sealed grow room with negative air pressure with my DWC grows. It pulled fresh air in and stale air out and my plants grew awesome buds. Didn't have added CO2,,just whatever the fresh air brought in. Its my understanding you don't need added CO2 unless you have high temps but then again im not a scientist.

Last edited:
I still have a 40 lb tank of CO2
I was going to start making beer again
I
Fermentation is a good source of additional CO2. I have read about folks putting their beer making rigs in their grow rooms to up the available CO2. Very little chance of burning down your house making beer as opposed to having small fires burning in a tent…

View attachment 296551

Disagreeing with you doesn't mean anybody is upset my friend. Just means they disagree respectfully. Most here dont need a safe space with chocolate when someone disagrees with them,, they just have different opinions. Hang around and you will see what im talking about.
If you think candles work then thats awesome, by all means use them. Do you make your own?

Latest posts

Back