Cannabis Cup Raided - Shut Down

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7greeneyes

MedicalNLovingIt!
Reaction score
url: hxxp://pr.cannazine.co.uk/201111231532/green/eco-news/cannabis-cup-raided-shut-down.html

The 24th annual Hight Times Cannabis Cup which takes place in Amsterdam has today for the first time in its history, been raided by police.
The Cannabis Cup is a coming together for thousands of cannabis consuming members of the public, and not just Dutch either.

The Cannabis Cup has been drawing thousands of tourists onto its streets since its inception, who between them spend tens of thousands of euro's, ordinarily with no incident worthy of mention.
But today (November 23rd) police raided the venue, insisting they will confiscate any cannabis if a person is found carrying more than 5 grams, in fitting with current dutch 'tolerance' policies.

Its thought Police had attended the first days event and had overseen exhibitors handing out cannabis from the exhibitor booths.By whatever understanding you may have of Dutch cannabis laws this is illegal, and as a result all visitors were asked to leave, leaving only the exhibitors within the venue.

At this stage its understood no one will be arrested, but this years Cannabis Cup is as we understand it, now prematurely closed.

another news snippet: :rant:

url: hxxp://www.eastbayexpress.com/LegalizationNation/archives/2011/11/23/amsterdan-cannabis-cup-raided-first-time-in-24-years______________________________________________________________

Amsterdam Cannabis Cup Raided - First time in 24 years
Cannabis Culture David Downs — Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 8:12 AM
When conservatives who seized power in the Netherlands this year closed coffeeshops in the southern part of the country to weed tourists, it seemed like an unfortunate bummer.

This morning, however, police in Amsterdam are in the process of raiding the 24th annual High Times Cannabis Cup Expo. Possession of marijuana has been decriminalized in the Netherlands. But according to tweets on the scene, "everyone will have their buds confiscated, but no one will be charged or fined. This is the first time this has happened in 24 years."

More news after the jump.

According to @DanaLarsen, Director of the Vancouver Cannabis Dispensary Society, "Police officer told me they investigated yesterday, saw some booths giving out weed and breaking other rules. So now the event is shut down."

"Everyone has to leave except for exhibitors. Cops are friendly and polite."

Weed world takes two small steps forward....... and one giant step backwards....... added to my to do list....... order more seeds NOW!

yes indeed, time for me to order those Mataro Blue seeds ASAP! :rolleyes:

:mad:

7greeneyes:(

p.s. On a happier sidenote, I believe Spain is the new strain haven and we'll be able to hit those banks up (I mean we already can, just easier using an already English website,ime...) ...hopefully :headbang2:

The dutch will mess their economy up massively if they continue with their stupid exploits.
Tbh their weed is crap compared to the weed in the uk these days and all because some crims got super greedy and decided to spray/dip/alter their finished buds so muchso noone wants dutch weed that i know of.
T4

:joint: I just saw a utube video by High Times saying this was not end of cup and it would be open again tomorrow.

hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u7rTMLo5WY

It seems they are cracking down on the same rules they've had in place for a very long time... ie 5grams limit on possession, no concentrates, trim is to be disposed of so there is no allowable amount on that, etc... They're definitely getting more heavy handed about the rules though. A new more conservative government has brought a new level of scrutiny on the marijuana scene in the Netherlands and so far the border towns are the most effective areas but it seems the gov't took the opportunity of the Cup to make a statement...:(

From the late 70s thru the mid 90s it was a very dark time for marijuana cultivation and the furthering of mj genetics in America... At that time Amsterdam was the keeper of the flame for marijuana freedom and the continued development of genetics was in their hands while the war on drugs raged on in the U.S. Once med MJ got a solid footing the torch was pretty much passed back to the Cali motherland and imho we've got much better quality of weed and a vast array of genetics to choose from in the U.S. and UK so it's no longer necessary to get on a plane to enjoy a variety of top dank. All I have to do is open my jars....:D

I hope things mellow out for our Dutch brothers and sisters in the Netherlands but I think we'll be okay regardless...:joint:

Peace~!:bong2::bong:

dirtyolsouth said:
In the 80s and 90s Amsterdam was the keeper of the flame for marijuana freedom and the continued development of genetics while the war on drugs raged on in the U.S. Once med MJ got a solid footing the torch was pretty much passed back to the Cali motherland and imho we've got much better quality of weed and a vast array of genetics to choose from in the U.S. and UK so it's no longer necessary to get on a plane to enjoy a variety of top dank. All I have to do is open my jars....:D

I hope things mellow out in the Netherlands but I think we'll be okay regardless...

Peace~!:bong2::bong:

Well said!

Latest posts

Back