Cannabis News Today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The News never ever stops.

/ TOP THINGS TO KNOW
The Rhode Island House of Representatives and Senate passed identical bills to legalize marijuana, sending the legislation to the desk of Gov. Dan McKee (D), who supports legalizing cannabis and plans to sign the reform into law on Wednesday.
Delaware Gov. John Carney (D) vetoed a bill to legalize marijuana possession—but lawmakers have the votes to potentially override him.
Minnesota lawmakers sent Gov. Tim Walz (D) a bill to clarify that hemp-derived products—including CBD-infused foods and drinks—are legal in the state.
A new study found that the commonly used marijuana strain labeling system—including categories like indicia and sativa—doesn’t generally correspond to the actual cannabinoid and terpene content of cannabis in a meaningful way.

Here is some moar News.

FEDERAL
The U.S. Department of Agriculture is seeking a contractor to provide an upgraded greenhouse LED lighting system "suitable for production of vigorous high-quality hemp and vegetable plant genetic resources."

Congress.gov reported that a federal marijuana legalization bill was the sixth-most-viewed piece of legislation last week.

Sen. Mark Kelly (D-AZ) tweeted, "I support the bipartisan #SAFEBankingAct.It's time the federal government stopped forcing Arizona’s cannabis businesses to operate as cash only and gave access to basic financial services. This is a common sense, pro-business effort that would improve safety and livelihoods."

Reps. Steve Scalise (R-LA) and Cliff Bentz (R-OR) coauthored an op-ed claiming that Attorney General Merrick Garland's comment on cannabis enforcement have "encouraged drug cartels to produce cannabis 'grows' in pro-cannabis states farmed by thousands of migrants illegally trafficked across the southern border."

Wisconsin Democratic Senate candidate Mandela Barnes, currently the lieutenant governor, tweeted, "Every day that passes without marijuana legalization in Wisconsin is a day that injustices go uncorrected and our economy misses out on a $33 billion industry."

STATES
Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt (R) signed a bill prohibiting discrimination against medical cannabis patients in housing and education. Separately, regulatorsrecalled certain medical marijuana products following alleged rules violations by a testing laboratory.

Florida Democratic gubernatorial candidate Nikki Fried, currently the agriculture commissioner, tweeted, "I have been fighting for medical marijuana patients for a long time and legalization for even longer. We need DC to move. For decades people have tried to move the country on legalization to no avail."

Kansas lawmakers sent Gov. Laura Kelly (D) a bill to allow federally approved cannabis medicines, but a provision to decriminalize fentanyl test strips was removed.

The Louisiana Senate Judiciary C Committee approved legislation to make it easier for people to expunge marijuana convictions, lower penalties for cannabis paraphernalia and bar police from searching homes over the small of marijuana.

The Indiana Legislative Council voted to create summer study committees on marijuana.

The North Carolina Senate Agriculture Committee considered hemp legislation. Separately, senator filed a marijuana legalization bill.

The West Virginia legislature's Joint Standing Committee on the Judiciary discussed workplace issues for medical cannabis patients.

An Ohio representative said a delay on a marijuana legalization ballot measure until next year may remove pressure on lawmakers to enact medical cannabis expansion legislation this session.

Mississippi regulators filed proposed medical cannabis tax rules.

California regulators are proposing additional modifications to marijuana smoke and THC exposure warnings.

Michigan regulators issued an advisory bulletin about increased criminal activity and social engineering attacks against marijuana businesses.

Maryland's top medical cannabis regulator took a job at a law firm that has a marijuana practice.

New Jersey regulators approved additional marijuana business licenses.

Vermont regulators approved additional marijuana cultivation licenses.

Washington State regulators are accepting registrations for cannabis businesses to receive security assessments.

Oregon regulators published a guide list on pesticides and cannabis.

The Tennessee Medical Cannabis Commission will meet on Friday.

Pot News for Fried-day

TOP THINGS TO KNOW
The Food and Drug Administration sent letters warning four companies to stop "illegally selling” CBD products for use in animals over concerns for the cows and chickens themselves as well as people ingesting cannabinoid “residues” in meat, milk and eggs.
The California Department of Cannabis Control launched a new interactive map that tracks whether cities and counties across the state allow or ban marijuana businesses.
New York's Office of Cannabis Management is asking TikTok to stop blocking regulators from running public education ads about the state’s marijuana legalization law on the social media platform.
A new study found that California marijuana retailers are “100 percent” compliant with avoiding selling to underage customers. Researchers sent young-looking would-be customers to cannabis dispensaries and every single one required ID.

/ FEDERAL
The U.S. Department of Agriculture's National Institute of Food and Agriculture is accepting applications for the Supplemental and Alternative Crops program that supports "projects that lead to expanded adaptation and increased acres in the United States of…industrial hemp grown for value added products."

Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-OR) said it "looks good" for the prospects to enact marijuana banking provisions through the America COMPETES Act.

Rep. Jay Obernolte (R-CA) tweeted about police actions against illegal marijuana cultivation operations

STATES
Colorado Gov. Jared Polis (D) signed a bill felonizing possession of any one-gram substance containing fentanyl.

Delaware's lieutenant governor said she supports legalizing marijuana.

The Louisiana Senate Labor and Industrial Relations Committee approved a bill on workplace protections for public employees who use medical cannabis.

The North Carolina Senate Rules Committee is expected to take up a medical cannabis bill next week.

A Nebraska senator who is co-chairing a medical cannabis campaign tweeted about her dentist asking if she had petitions he could sign to place reform measures on the ballot.

A Rhode Island representative spoke about successful efforts to include expungements provisions in the state's new marijuana legalization law.

Here's a look at where South Dakota House and Senate candidates stand on marijuana.

Arkansas activists said they have collected more than 65,000 signatures out of the 89,151 needed to qualify a marijuana legalization measure for the ballot.

Oregon officials rejected a proposal to create rules for religious practitioners to administer psilocybin services, using a memo from the state Department of Justice to justify the decision.

Mississippi regulators filed medical cannabis rules on ID cards, testing facilities, transportation, disposal and optometry.

California regulators are accepting public comments on the readoption of emergency regulations for marijuana equity business fee waivers.

Washington State regulators sent an update on COVID-related allowances for marijuana businesses that are either being extended or expiring.

Maryland regulators opened a call center to field inquiries from medical cannabis patients trying to renew their registrations.

My youngest son got addicted to kratom about 5 years ago. He was taking several grams a day (I believe). He had 3 seizures before we found out what was causing his seizures(ER docs confirmed he had no drugs in his system thru blood tests). He took it to increase his ability to train in MMA fighting and it spiraled out of control. It took him a good month before he felt normal again after quitting cold turkey. He had all the symptoms of addiction withdrawal and had to take a week off work to start his cold turkey adventure. It sounds like you are not abusing it and it is helping you to cut down on Vicodin which is great. I just wanted to chime in to let people know that like everything else, kratom should be used in moderation.
I have tried Kratom before and it only last so many hours which makes you have to take it more often. I can see where it can be abused like everything else. I am glad your son is doing better.

I have tried Kratom before and it only last so many hours which makes you have to take it more often. I can see where it can be abused like everything else. I am glad your son is doing better.
Thanks. We are all happy he has kicked his habit. I am not saying it should be avoided at all cost. I just thought it was information that was good to have out there.

Mondays Pot News

TOP THINGS TO KNOW
The CEO of Ascend Wellness Holdingstold Marijuana Moment that his company and other multi-state operators are teaming up to sue the federal government to overturn cannabis prohibition.
  • He says they’ve retained the law firm of star attorney David Boies, with the goal of filing two separate lawsuits: One focused on stopping the federal government from impeding intrastate cannabis commerce and another challenging a tax provision known as 280E that blocks the industry from taking tax deductions that are available to any other company.
The Conference of State Bank Supervisors, which represents state financial regulators, is calling on Congress to enact marijuana banking protections through the America COMPETES Act.
California officials reported that the state has generated nearly $4 billion in marijuana tax revenue since legal sales began in 2018—but that quarterly growth in the state’s hauls has stalled out over the past year and a half.
Green Leaf Dispensary owner Donnie P. writes in a new Marijuana Moment op-ed that Louisiana lawmakers should pass a bill providing employment protections to public workers who use medical cannabis.

/ FEDERAL
The U.S. Department of Agriculture's Census of Agriculture is adding new questions about hemp this year.

Rep. Mark Amodei (R-NV) said he has serious concerns about federally legalizing marijuana.

Rep. Angie Craig (D-MN) tweeted, "I’m glad to see new legal clarity for CBD producers and sales in MN. This is vital to keeping legitimate businesses out of legal limbo. That's why I joined my colleague, @RepKathleenRice in introducing the CBD Product Safety and Standardization Act to accomplish this across the country. And I will continue to call on the Senate to take up the MORE Act to finally legalize adult-use cannabis."

Illinois Democratic congressional candidates discussed marijuana policy during a forum.

STATES
South Dakota Democratic gubernatorial candidate Jamie Smith, currently the House minority leader, tweeted, "My plan is simple: Listen and implement the will of South Dakotans. Recreational marijuana should be legal in our state."

Tennessee Democratic gubernatorial candidates discussed marijuana at a debate. Contender JB Smiley, Jr. tweeted, "We have more things to be focused on other than legalizing marijuana." He also tweeted, "Let me be clear, I support decriminalizing, medicinal use, and legalizing marijuana. In addition, we need to be expunging the records of those individuals who have criminal records simply because they possessed marijuana."

After New York's attorney general asked people to send complaints about any cannabis-infused candies they encountered around Halloween, the office received only one submission, and it was from a medical cannabis patient who said a dispensary sold her a spoiled product.

The California Senate approved legislation to eliminate the cannabis cultivation tax, establish a marijuana equity tax credit, create a retailer tax credit and add labeling requirements for cannabis products.

Virginia House and Senate leaders included a provision to recriminalize possession of more than four ounces of marijuana in public in budget legislation.

Indiana's Senate president pro tem and minority leader spoke about how lawmakers may formally study cannabis issues this summer.

Massachusetts's House speaker said the state can apply lessons it learned from legalizing marijuana to collegiate sports betting.

A Wisconsin senator said she is open to medical cannabis but has concerns about recreational marijuana legalization.

The Iowa Supreme Court ruled that an Arizona woman's medical cannabis card does not protect her from arrest for possessing marijuana in the state.

An Illinois judge lifted a stay that has prevented regulators from issuing additional marijuana dispensary licenses.

Oklahoma regulators will stop processing applications for medical cannabis cultivation, processing and dispensary licenses as of August 1 for a period of two years in line with a new law.

New Mexico generated more than $2.4 million in cannabis excise taxes in the first month of legal recreational sales.

Vermont regulators are closing the pre-qualification window for marijuana business license applications on Tuesday.

Nevada regulators will hold a public hearing on rules for cannabis consumption lounges on June 28.

Virginia House and Senate leaders included a provision to recriminalize possession of more than four ounces of marijuana in public in budget legislation.

I don't understand this. Was it changed to a civil offense having four ounces? I wonder if they want to make way for companies that want to grow it to sell in dispensaries.

I do not interpret the news.
I only report the news.

/ TOP THINGS TO KNOW
Canada’s federal government approved a three-year drug decriminalization pilot program in British Columbia. People caught with up to 2.5 grams of certain illicit drugs—including opioids, cocaine, methamphetamine and MDMA—will not be criminalized.
The Department of Justice Office of the Inspector Generalis being asked to investigate an apparent discrepancy in how marijuana enforcement data is reported by police departments across the country.
  • Some law enforcement agencies appear to count citations issued in decriminalized jurisdictions as arrests, while others don’t—and that distorts how the impact of cannabis policy can be evaluated by lawmakers, the complaint from Montgomery County, Maryland Policing Advisory Commission member Eric Sterling says.
Minnesota Democratic operatives appear to have been caught on tape orchestrating a plot to change the name of a cannabis-focused third party they feared siphoned votes from Democrats so it would instead be called the MAGA Party, undermining GOP candidates—but the plan seems to have faltered.
The North Carolina Senate Rules and Operations Committee is set to take up a bill to legalize medical marijuana on Wednesday, with floor action expected as soon as Thursday. Meanwhile, a new poll shows huge voter support for cannabis reform.

More reporting.

FEDERAL
The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration noted the spread of cannabis legalization in a notice about an organizational restructuring.

Rep. Ayanna Pressley (D-MA) tweeted, "Due to decades of policy violence and the failed War on Drugs, the U.S. has the highest incarceration rate in the world. Congress has a moral obligation to reform the broken clemency system it built and end the mass incarceration that plagues our nation."

STATES
Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt (R) signed several medical cannabis reform bills into law.

Colorado Gov. Jared Polis (D) said, “Colorado is a very independently minded, freedom-oriented state, and they don’t want Republicans or Democrats telling them what to do. They value accurate information, they value facts, and people should be empowered to make their own decisions, whether that’s marijuana, whether it’s wearing a mask—we’re a state that values freedom.”

The Massachusetts attorney general's office reportedly took action against alleged employee tip theft by a marijuana dispensary.

The North Carolina Senate approved a bill to permanently legalize hemp.

A Delaware senator said she believes her chamber has the votes to override Gov. John Carney's (D) veto of a marijuana legalization bill, but she's not so sure about the House.

A Pennsylvania representative tweeted, "Decriminalizing marijuana on a local level still allows for over-enforcement through state law. #HB2050, will decriminalize cannabis in PA and work to repair the damages caused by the aggressive, unequal enforcement of the past."

Louisiana regulators filed changes to rules on hemp products.

Utah regulators filed rules on medical cannabis administrative hearing procedures.

Mississippi regulators will begin accepting medical cannabis patient applications on Wednesday.

Minnesota regulators will begin accepting applications to add new medical cannabis qualifying conditions or delivery methods on Wednesday.

The California State Fair Cannabis Awards posted photos of the trophies it will award to winners.

Thursday Pot News

TOP THINGS TO KNOW
The North Carolina Senate Rules and Operations Committee approved a medical cannabis bill. A floor vote is expected on Thursday, and the body’s president pro tempore says he will support passage.
New York regulators approved proposed rules for marijuana packaging, labeling, advertising and laboratory testing. They also voted to issue additional cannabis cultivation licenses to make sure the market has enough product when sales launch this year.
The California Assembly Public Safety Committee approved a bill to allow cities to open safe consumption sites for illegal drugs. It has already passed the full Senate and now heads to the Assembly floor.
San Marcos, Texas activists submitted what they say are more than enough signatures to put a marijuana decriminalization initiative on the November ballot. At least three other cities in the state are poised to qualify similar measures—and voters in Austin already approved one last month.
The Oregon Psilocybin Advisory Board’s rejection of a proposal for spiritual and religious use of the psychedelic—and the manner in which it did so—is being criticized by stakeholders who say the voter-approved program is being set up with too much of a medical focus.

Contd.

FEDERAL
The U.S. Supreme Court received briefs from plaintiffs in cannabis workers' compensation cases replying to a filing from the Justice Department that urged the court not to take the case.

The National Institute on Drug Abuse will host an international forum addressing harm reduction, alternatives to punishment for people with drug use disorders and other issues on June 9 and 10.

Rep. Mike Garcia (R-CA) appeared at a press conference with local police to discuss efforts to combat illegal marijuana cultivation.

New Mexico Democratic congressional candidate Gabe Vasquez tweeted, "Yesterday I toured several businesses and facilities in New Mexico’s growing cannabis industry, including an abandoned greenhouse that was repurposed & created hundreds of jobs. In Congress, I will support the federal legalization of cannabis."

STATES
Former Mississippi Gov. Ronnie Musgrove (D) is applying for a medical cannabis testing license.

Maryland Democratic comptroller candidates said they support marijuana legalization during a debate.

Virginia lawmakers sent Gov. Glenn Youngkin (R) a budget bill that recriminalizes possession of more than four ounces of marijuana in public

Connecticut regulators began a marijuana business license lottery process.

The North Carolina House of Representatives approved a bill to permanently legalize hemp.

New York's Office of Cannabis Management estimates that the marijuana industry will create 60,000 jobs.

Illinois regulators awarded 48 cannabis craft cultivation licenses.

Washington State sent a bulletin about crime prevention resources for cannabis businesses.

Colorado regulators published a cannabis social equity FAQ for prospective licensees.

New Mexico regulators released information about complaints they have received about marijuana businesses.

Vermont regulators approved additional outdoor marijuana cultivation business licenses.

The Arkansas Medical Marijuana Commission will meet on Thursday.

Michigan regulators will hold a public hearing to receive feedback on whether marijuana flower products should be required to be prepackaged on June 16.

Fried-day Pot News

TOP THINGS TO KNOW
The North Carolina Senate voted to approve a bill to legalize medical cannabis on second reading. One more procedural vote, expected next week, is needed to send the measure to the House of Representatives.
U.S. Virgin Islands Gov. Albert Bryan Jr. (D) said he will call the territory's legislature into a special session to pass a marijuana legalization bill, and he is including expected revenue from legal cannabis sales in his new budget.
The New York Senate approved a bill to require public health insurance programs to cover medical cannabis expenses and clarify that private insurers are allowed to do the same.
Michigan activists announced they won’t be able to qualify a psychedelics legalization initiative for this November’s ballot, but are shifting focus to 2024. Signatures they’ve collected so far will still count for the new timeline.
Louisiana lawmakers sent Gov. John Bel Edwards (D) a bill providing employment protections for state workers who use medical cannabis.
Colorado Gov. Jared Polis (D) signed a bill to create a regulatory framework for sales of kratom, a plant that advocates say can serve as a safer alternative to opioids and also help treat the symptoms of addiction withdrawal.

Moar Fried-day News

FEDERAL
A staffer for Sen. Patty Murray (D-WA) said the senator has been in touch with the Drug Enforcement Administration about cancer patients' requests to access psilocybin therapy under Right to Try laws.

Rep. Salud Carbajal (D-CA) tweeted, "Cannabis farmers on the Central Coast are on the cutting edge of innovative farming, and have become as vital an economic engine for our region as other local farms. As a member of @HouseAgDems, I'm always listening to what our farmers need from Congress."

South Dakota Democratic Senate candidate Brian Bengs tweeted, "I support cannabis legalization because S Dakotans approved it in 2020 & career politicians overruled them. Legalizing will: ✅ Fund communities ✅ Create jobs ✅ Attract investment It will create more revenue for projects to help our state!"

Montana Democratic congressional candidate Tom Winter, a former state representative, tweeted, "When I carried the bill to legalize marijuana in Montana the far-right’s reaction was complete reefer madness. A year in a half into legalization here and I’m still not seeing the massive spikes in death & mayhem that was promised…"

STATES
Colorado Gov. Jared Polis (D) signed a bill to create a task force to study intoxicating hemp-derived and modified cannabinoids.

Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker (D) tweeted about the issuance of new craft marijuana cultivation licenses, saying, "Illinois’ cannabis industry started out with businesses with owners who all looked the same, but with each new set of licenses, we come closer and closer to realizing our vision for a truly diverse industry."

Florida Democratic agriculture commissioner candidate Ryan Morales said he supports legalizing psychedelics for therapeutic purposes.

The New York Senate approved a bill on penalties for illegal marijuana sales.

The Virginia Legislative Black Caucus criticized marijuana recriminalization provisions included in budget legislation sent to Gov. Glenn Youngkin (R).

A Nebraska senator tweeted that activists have now collected 80,000 signatures toward qualifying two medical cannabis initiatives for the ballot.

North Dakota activists announced they have collected more than half the signatures they need to qualify a marijuana legalization initiative for the ballot.

The Georgia Supreme Court agreed to take up a case that vape shop companies filed to challenge a prosecutor's crackdown on delta-8 and delta-10 THC sales.

Arkansas lawmakers' changes to a voter-approved medical cannabis ballot measure are being challenged in court.

Alabama regulators filed proposed medical cannabis cultivation rules.

Pennsylvania regulators sent a warning about a website that misleadingly lists doctors participating in the medical cannabis program.

California regulators are encouraging cannabis businesses to apply for drought-related disaster relief.

Vermont regulators closed the window for marijuana business license prequalification applications.

Ohio regulators will consider medical cannabis rules on Monday.

Extra!
Extra!
Read all about pot!

TOP THINGS TO KNOW
New York regulators aired a taxpayer-funded ad during game 1 of the NBA finals that slams the historically racist enforcement of marijuana prohibition while highlighting equity-focused legalization. One major station refused to air it, however.
Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz (D) signed a large-scale health bill that contains provisions clarifying that hemp-derived products—including CBD-infused foods and drinks—are legal in the state.
A new report from the California government Task Force to Study and Develop Reparation Proposals for African Americans pinpoints the war on drugs and its racist criminal enforcement as a key form of social control that has oppressed black people.
A new "SAFE 4 Equity" campaign—backed by the Minority Cannabis Business Association, Marijuana Matters, Minorities for Medical Marijuana and Women Grow—is making the case that passing a marijuana banking bill will help small businesses run by people of color, pushing back against the notion that it will only help large corporations and banks. Not all advocates agree, however.
The California Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Developmentawarded $35.5 million in marijuana tax-funded community reinvestment grants to repair the harms of the war on drugs through programs on job placement, legal aid and medical care.
Oregon officials testified at a House Interim Committee On Behavioral Health hearing that while work to set up a drug treatment and prevention network funded under a voter-approved decriminalization measure has been delayed, efforts are now back on track.

Some extra Pot News

FEDERAL
Former Attorney General Eric Holder said legalizing marijuana would have "great political benefits" and it's "ridiculous" that it's still in Schedule I.

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) sent an email to supporters about the need to legalize marijuana, and tweeted, "Enough is enough. The vast majority of Americans support legalizing marijuana nationwide. Now is the time for Congress and the federal government do something radical for a change: LISTEN to the people. Let's end the war on drugs and legalize marijuana nationwide."

Mississippi Democratic congressional candidate David Sellers tweeted, "I want to end the failed war on drugs by legalizing marijuana at the federal level, expanding access to veterans court and drug court, ending mandatory minimums, and prioritizing treatment over incarceration."

STATES
Kansas Gov. Laura Kelly (D) signed a bill allowing patients to use federally approved cannabis medicines.

Pennsylvania Democratic gubernatorial candidate Josh Shapiro, currently the attorney general, tweeted, "New York has legalized recreational marijuana. New Jersey has legalized recreational marijuana. In Pennsylvania, we haven't — even though the majority of Pennsylvanians support it. I'll get it done as Governor, and it's going to boost our economy."

Louisiana lawmakers sent Gov. John Bel Edwards (D) legislation to prevent police from using the odor of marijuana as probable cause to search homes, legalizing paraphernalia for medical cannabis patients, providing reciprocityfor out-of-state patients, letting medical cannabis companies open additional dispensary locations and banning smoke or vaping marijuana in motor vehicles. But the Senate rejected measures to make it easier for people to expunge marijuana convictions and to decriminalize paraphernalia.

A Missouri representative tweeted, "Let’s be Blunt: we need a Joint Committee in #MOLeg to investigate the Highs and Lows of the Recreational Marijuana initiative petition."

South Dakota House and Senate candidates were asked about their stances on marijuana policy in a survey.

The Arkansas Supreme Court dismissed a lawsuit challenging regulators' denial of a medical cannabis dispensary license.

Rhode Island regulators are projecting there will be approximately $41 million worth of legal marijuana sales in the first seven months of commercial legalization.

Colorado regulators are accepting applications to serve on a new Intoxicating Hemp And Tetrahydrocannabinol Products Task Force.

California officials are stepping up efforts to collect unpaid taxes from marijuana businesses.

Maine regulators issued guidance about marijuana edibles packaging and labeling that could appeal to people under 21.

Oregon regulators will begin accepting applications for psilocybin services facilitator training program curriculum approval on Monday.

Vermont regulators will consider recommendations for marijuana business prequalification, full licensure and social equity status on Monday.

Latest posts

Back