Cannabis Photoperiod Hacks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stew

Reaction score
Hello MP Friends,

A lot of growers are leaving money on the table due to a failure of imagination.

The idea that cannabis should always veg at eighteen hours of light and flower at twelve is wrong.

Cannabis plants do not require total darkness to flower and trivial light leaks will not cause plants to “herm”

For those of us who are prepared to replace cannabis mythology with plant science there are opportunities to improve yields by better understanding our plants photoperiod requirements.

https://www.elevatedbotanist.com/cultivation/cannabis-photoperiod-hacks

I had hermies when I had light leaks. My cats were climbing my tent. Fixed the light leaks, no hermies. I will go with my anecdotal evidence over someone calling themselves an elevated botanist. Photoperiods are debatable. Obviously outdoor grows are different(the moon, stars, light pollution, etc).

Thanks Stew for posting this interesting article. I’ve been concerned about the auto lights on my back porch effecting my plants during the flower cycle. I could turn them off but really don’t want to as my old dog needs the light when we let her outside at night. I had planned to leave them on. They only stay on briefly for 3-4 minutes at a time whenever the motion detector detects movement. We do have a few flying squirrels that also occasionally set them off but again for only a few minutes at a time. I’m hoping that my plants adjust to their surroundings. Thanks again for posting this interesting article.

Thanks Stew for posting this interesting article. I’ve been concerned about the auto lights on my back porch effecting my plants during the flower cycle. I could turn them off but really don’t want to as my old dog needs the light when we let her outside at night. I had planned to leave them on. They only stay on briefly for 3-4 minutes at a time whenever the motion detector detects movement. We do have a few flying squirrels that also occasionally set them off but again for only a few minutes at a time. I’m hoping that my plants adjust to their surroundings. Thanks again for posting this interesting article.
Hi Submarine Girl,
The intensity of light pollution is more important than the duration. A brief exposure to light during the night period can affect the photoperiod if it is of sufficient intensity. If you can read a large print book when your light is on, it will affect the plant's photoperception, even if the light is only on for a brief duration.

I had hermies when I had light leaks. My cats were climbing my tent. Fixed the light leaks, no hermies. I will go with my anecdotal evidence over someone calling themselves an elevated botanist. Photoperiods are debatable. Obviously outdoor grows are different(the moon, stars, light pollution, etc).
I am happy that you have found a system that works for you. I will go with my scientific evidence, and decades of experience over the anecdotes of an old fogey. Too each their own!

Oh! You are the elevated botanist? OK. My screen name is sarcastic and self deprecating. Elevated Botanist is the opposite.

Hi Submarine Girl,
The intensity of light pollution is more important than the duration. A brief exposure to light during the night period can affect the photoperiod if it is of sufficient intensity. If you can read a large print book when your light is on, it will affect the plant's photoperception, even if the light is only on for a brief duration.
Well maybe i Will have to reconsider lighting conditions again come flower time. I can read a large print book in the lighting. Perhaps I will have to figure out a different light for the doggo thanks again for posting. I like reading your stuff

Latest posts

Back