Cannabis prices

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
remember when we were getting $4000 a pound?

heady days , the Green Goldrush is so over

i see adds for extraction equipment , entire laboratory , pot businesses going tits up every day
I can’t see how dispensaries can be profitable in Massachusetts. The first few months of legal ‘adult use’ sales here had lines out the door of people looking to score legal bud. Now the parking lots of the 10 or so dispensaries within a 15 minute round trip of my house are empty aside from the bud tenders cars. The state has ripped off all the ‘Green Rush’ entrepreneurs. A buddy of mine did the startup design and construction project for a grow facility and the owners told him to STOP GROWING when they couldn’t move their product. Millions of dollars spent on the facility were simply flushed down the toilet. They wouldn’t drop the price to move their stock. I suspect the owners were using it as a tax write-off(though I don’t understand tax law well enough to understand how losing millions is any better than donating that money to a charity)…

I could see a scenario where, in Massachusetts anyway, owners of dispensaries have sunk a bunch of money into their businesses and refuse to give up in hopes that their competitors go belly up before they do. Or maybe they are making money. I am ambivalent though as I know growing my own will keep me flush with bud for a lot less cost than buying it would cost. I know not everyone wants to or can grow their own so there is certainly a market. Legal weed is still relatively new and I think it is kind of a fad but I am a pessimist. I do know that I could not afford to get into the consumer game the state set up and I am glad I did not mortgage my future as I looked into growing for profit when the game was still in its infancy. Like alcohol, there is money to be made but I just think the early adopters will outlast the stragglers here because they have big money or backers with big money. Eventually I think Big Tobacco will corner the weed market though and crush the little guys like Amazon did to all the small business competitors.

I have been saying this for over 10 years now. There will always be a nitch market for small boutique growers. Many don't trust the turn and burn operations. Quality, bugs and mold are an issue with them.

Connoisseur growers are more anal and produce a better product. A cash cropping operation doesn't care about quality....they are there just to move product.

I could see a scenario where, in Massachusetts anyway, owners of dispensaries have sunk a bunch of money into their businesses and refuse to give up in hopes that their competitors go belly up before they do. Or maybe they are making money. I am ambivalent though as I know growing my own will keep me flush with bud for a lot less cost than buying it would cost. I know not everyone wants to or can grow their own so there is certainly a market. Legal weed is still relatively new and I think it is kind of a fad but I am a pessimist. I do know that I could not afford to get into the consumer game the state set up and I am glad I did not mortgage my future as I looked into growing for profit when the game was still in its infancy. Like alcohol, there is money to be made but I just think the early adopters will outlast the stragglers here because they have big money or backers with big money. Eventually I think Big Tobacco will corner the weed market though and crush the little guys like Amazon did to all the small business competitors.

In Virginia getting a commercial growers license will be a political side show.

Virginia recreational marijuana laws prioritize social equity applicants and establish a Cannabis Equity Reinvestment Board to provide resources to support these applicants. Social equity applicants refer to residents of the state who have been disproportionately impacted by the effects of law enforcement on marijuana-related crimes. Virginia laws seek to address the disinvestment, violence, and historical overuse of the criminal justice system against certain communities and individuals. The state wants to create an inclusive market by focusing on communities where the war on drugs has a disproportionately worse effect.

To qualify for social equity status in the state, the applicant must have resided in the Commonwealth of Virginia for up to 12 months. The following conditions also apply:
  • At least 66%-owned by a person or persons who have been convicted or adjudicated delinquent for any misdemeanor violations of marijuana-specific laws.
  • At least 66%-owned by a person who is a relative of an individual who was convicted or adjudicated delinquent for any misdemeanor violations of marijuana-specific laws.
  • At least 66%-owned by persons who have resided in areas disproportionately affected by marijuana crime responses for up to three of the past five years.
  • At least 66%-owned by persons who have resided in economically distressed areas for at least three of the last five years.
  • At least 66%-owned by a person or persons who graduated from Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Social equity applicants will receive preference from July 1, 2023, until January 1, 2024, and authorities will also waive a certain percentage of their application fees.

There is a hard limit on the number of licenses to be awarded set at 450. The legal costs are extreme unless you qualify as a social equity applicant. So big tobacco or farming corporations and a bunch of people unlikely to have the kind of experience needed to make a profit will be the primary growers here.

There is a hard limit on the number of licenses to be awarded set at 450. The legal costs are extreme unless you qualify as a social equity applicant. So big tobacco or farming corporations and a bunch of people unlikely to have the kind of experience needed to make a profit will be the primary growers here.
Maybe get Youngkin to look into this… like that would happen…

that is why Oklahoma is/has surpassed all other states in record sales , anyone could afford a license , there was no limits

and if i am not mistaken , a license was is less than $2000?

and i think if one had enough money they could buy 10 licenses and open up a chain of dispensaries

i still cant believe they sell pot in oklahoma

that is why Oklahoma is/has surpassed all other states in record sales , anyone could afford a license , there was no limits

and if i am not mistaken , a license was is less than $2000?

and i think if one had enough money they could buy 10 licenses and open up a chain of dispensaries

i still cant believe they sell pot in oklahoma
As I recall, a license here in the Comministwealth of Massachusetts cost $150,000/year and requires $500,000 in the bank in addition to having the means to set up a retail store with Fort Knox grade security.

Can you ‘identify’ as a member of one of those ‘marginalized’ groups or do you have to be full blooded like Pocahontus Warren?

Can you ‘identify’ as a member of one of those ‘marginalized’ groups or do you have to be full blooded like Elizabeth Warren?
I graduated next door to an approved college, but I don't think that counts. My wife is 1/4 American Indian (for real) but that doesn't count either. I do have a cousin who was jailed for multiple marijuana crimes. I could qualify if I made her 66% owner, but I'm sure she could smoke 66% of the product all by herself...

I have been saying this for over 10 years now. There will always be a nitch market for small boutique growers. Many don't trust the turn and burn operations. Quality, bugs and mold are an issue with them.

Connoisseur growers are more anal and produce a better product. A cash cropping operation doesn't care about quality....they are there just to move product.
I used to focus on generating mass but have gone to a quality first model

Yeah that's it in a nut shell.

Latest posts

Back