Cannabis-smoking mum stabbed herself to death

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HippyInEngland

Smoke Free Zone.
Reaction score
A mother driven insane by cannabis stabbed herself repeatedly through the chest with a carving knife after claiming she was spoken to by a dog.

Julie Cross told friends the animal was "trying to tell her something" before picking up the 5in blade and ramming it at least five times into her chest and abdomen.

An inquest was told the former receptionist, from Goring, used speed and cannabis on a daily basis and in the weeks running up to her death had slashed her wrists and smeared her blood across a crucifix and also hung a noose from her attic.

Katie Leason, spokeswoman for mental health charity Rethink, said the case further proved that cannabis causes severe mental illness. "We don't believe there is any doubt about it now. There is a proven link between the drug and psychosis," said Ms Leason.

Rhys Cotton, 20, who lived with Miss Cross and her son Terry Greenslade, 22, discovered her body slumped on the floor on the morning of June 27, after his blood-stained dogs ran to alert him as he got out of the bath.

Ms Cross, 41, suffered three fatal puncture wounds to her lungs and liver, the deepest of which was 4in long with other minor superficial knife injuries.

Mr Cotton, who called Miss Cross his "auntie", was the only person in the house at the time of the tragedy and was arrested the same day on suspicion of murder but later released.

He said during a police interview, which was read at the inquest: "I went upstairs and could see into her bedroom. "She said to me, 'I think the dog is trying to tell me something.' "I thought that was quite strange. A lot of things she did I found strange, but didn't really think too much about it."

He added: "She would tell me that she regularly heard voices and would often trash the house."

The hearing, at Worthing Town Hall, was told that Miss Cross, from Limbrick Lane, had drug-induced psychosis diagnosed in 2006.

It had led to her spending much of her last year in and out of the Mill View psychiatric hospital. The inquest heard that during what was described as a "very difficult life" Miss Cross had made repeated attempts on her own life, starting at the age of 14.

She had suffered two acrimonious divorces and on one occasion a spurned husband had returned to the family home with a can of petrol and a lighter, threatening to firebomb the property.

Detective Chief Inspector Steve Johns released Mr Cotton after he gave a "full and plausible" account of the incident.

That, coupled with Miss Cross's history and an absence of evidence of other third-party involvement, led the detective to conclude the wounds were self-inflicted.

Pathologist Dr Robert Chapman, who carried out a post-mortem examination on Miss Cross, agreed. He told the inquest: "There were a number of factors which allow us to make a judgment that is consistent with self-inflicted injuries."

Asked if Miss Cross would have been strong enough and capable enough of repeatedly stabbing herself, Dr Chapman said: "I think somebody would be capable of doing this. The major wound would not have instantly disabled her."

The coroner recorded a verdict of misadventure, saying the wounds could have been a "cry for help".

Miss Cross' family and friends told The Argus they believe she was murdered and would not have been able to inflict the wounds.

After the hearing, Amanda Cross, her sister, said: "She hated violence and adored Terry. She wouldn't have taken her own life. We are not going to let this drop."

Source :- The Argus

:peace:

very very weird..
like how they point to pot.. but wheres the finger pointing at the docs who let her out of the psych ward? obviously she was not sane. (i personally would be looking into Mr Cotton though, as i find it weird she was able to stab herself that many times that hard)

After the 4inch gash i dought it she would have done anymore damage to herself. Got news fer these people. If she heard dogs talking to her there was something wrong with her waaay before she picked up a joint! HIE, btw,........what was she smoking to hear dogs talking? That musta been some potent herb!

I have two dogs and if they are "trying to tell me something" I always check the water bowl, the food bowl, open the door in case they need to go out, or play with them to see if they just want attention - and if none of that quiets the voices - then and only then - do I reach for my 5" knife....;)

and yet they never came down on the drug speed which they stated she used regularly/daily along with MJ.
i wont lie , i use to mess wit speed/meth back in my late teens and i'd smoke a doob to come off a week of spinning liek a top but never, i mean absolutely never has bud made me hear anything that wasnt there LOL.
i've herd whispers and seen shadow ninjas and spideewebs of lite flashing etc while all hopped up on meth back then after a few days of it so im pretty sure it was teh dang speed that drove her to all this madness if anything IMO.

sorry if i committed a sin by mentioning meth.
i am in no way condoning it so...
as matter of fact i think its the dirtiest drug on this earth.

I hear my refrigerator and cabinets talking to me when i get high. "Come eat something big boy" it tells me every time I get stoned.

You gotta watch them cabinets -C@jun-

They have brothers and sisters hiding in fast food places and corner shops that sell anything sweet.

poor woman...stimulants...voices...suicidal tendancies...sad.

Yeah, it was the speed. I've seen enough of it to suspect it was the true culprit. Blaming it on pot is absurd and laughable.

"Katie Leason, spokeswoman for mental health charity Rethink, said the case further proved that cannabis causes severe mental illness. "We don't believe there is any doubt about it now. There is a proven link between the drug and psychosis," said Ms Leason."

I say Rethink should get a new spokeswoman. I'm not quite sure if I understand her correctly.

When she said, "...the case further proved that cannabis causes severe mental illness." did she mean that cannabis is the cause of her mental illness? Because that sounds awfully ignorant.

Why is a spokeswoman from a mental health charity organization speaking on this case? What does weed have to with this anyway? It obviously wasn't the cause of death.

And if she's really saying that marijuana caused her to go crazy and stab herself to death, then she's probably smoking crazy crank herself! With a long history of attempted suicides and severe mental health issues, this poor woman was probably crazy before she even knew what weed was.

The drug they call "meth", crank or speed is not the same as it use to be today they use everything under the kitchen sink mixed in the kitchen sink to made a so called drug. It it no wonder that these people are killing theirselfs and others.

Stay with Mother Nature she has been making the drugs we need to live health and Happy for millions of years.

HippyInEngland said:
You gotta watch them cabinets -C@jun-

They have brothers and sisters hiding in fast food places and corner shops that sell anything sweet.

I know right and when you get stoned they start a talking.

When she said, "...the case further proved that cannabis causes severe mental illness." did she mean that cannabis is the cause of her mental illness? Because that sounds awfully ignorant.
true that CUY :aok:
The drug they call "meth", crank or speed is not the same as it use to be today they use everything under the kitchen sink mixed in the kitchen sink to made a so called drug. It it no wonder that these people are killing theirselfs and others.
i had a couple friends in back in my senior year that use to make bathtub meth we called it. its a wonder people dont die as soon as teh stuff hits their nose vein lungs watevr. i mean once you have personally witnessed the junk bein made by people who have no concern for safety or the health of the consumer of their crap. and the day i saw the stuff bein made and wat all went into it and how etc... was also the same day i quit messin with the stuff.
got messed up in it for a short time maybe a year but a year too dang long i say. one day is too lng for that junk even IMO.
...some of the stupid things we do when we were younger huh? :doh:
but definately i think tehy need to reevaluate the situation before blamin MJ as well.

The only thing we used from under the kitchen sink was red devil lye drain cleaner. Not condoning it or anything just a point i wanted to throw out there.

Alistair Young said:
Yeah, it was the speed. I've seen enough of it to suspect it was the true culprit. Blaming it on pot is absurd and laughable.

:yeahthat:

Methamphetamine Addiction - Psychological Methamphetamine Effects

• Visual and auditory hallucinations
  • Obsessive behaviors
  • Depression
  • Intense anger and paranoia
  • Panic attacks

The only thing we used from under the kitchen sink was red devil lye drain cleaner.
in my state here if leo or someone who overheard you say that if you did say aloud , would be considered conspiracy to manufacture the stuff. no lie. discussion of ingredients or how to etc etc is conspiracy alone here even. they very hard on the junk here tho.
its a good thing they are IMO. keeps them off us stoners backs a lil more anyway LOL.
but one kid in school starts doin it in a new town that its unherd of then before you know it even the junior high kids are hooked on the junk in no time. its a dirty disease imo. and thats where the war on drugs needs to be totally redirected towards imo. not us.

what a crock of crap, this nut job was nuts befor she smoked. my dads been smoking since 1968!!! he is fine, if anything hes gotten calmer and nice.
As for dogs talking to you, wow thats some strong stuff i would love to have a convo with my boxer, "tyson" see what hes got say. that would be cool. when will the old nerds die out all ready so we can get legal weed all ready. its not our falt they where dorks that never got invited to smoke by the cool kids. so why do they gotta take it out on all of us?

Easy on the old guys Wiseguy - there are plenty of college kids who think this way too. There are plenty of young ladder-climbers who perpetuate these negative stereotypes.

there are plenty of college kids who think this way too. There are plenty of young ladder-climbers who perpetuate these negative stereotypes.
:eek: where? not sayin there isnt just i aint ever met anyone against it other than typically the type of person who is NOT OLDER but we'll say wiser but yet misinformed and, in a lamens sense brainwashed by the anti pot propaganda way back when.
wiseguy--- i see wat ya sayin tho but to put it in lighter terms i see it this was too in a sense. no offense to anyone but once everyone who was raised in the major anti pot era is pretty much gone, whos left to advocate the pros and or cons of pot then? its the younger generation who have not been so or as misled/misinformed as the elder in prior era.. JMO so please dont scold me, anyone, K :48:
sorry :stoned: atm.
did any that make sense ? lol
at least i know wat i was tryin to say. LOL

Latest posts

Back