Cannabis tincture

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SubmarineGirl

Reaction score
I’ve been making cannabis tincture three batches now for my son in law who is going thru some pretty harsh medical issues. I’ve been using the frozen method with grain alcohol and whole buds not trim which has been working well for him. It actually works for me and no other edible does. one batch usually makes a dozen bottles which he goes thru pretty fast. Recently my daughter gave me this magical butter machine which also makes tincture using heat which I read was a bit better getting the THC out. They were gifted the machine to make butter and tincture but she failed miserably her first try and to tell you the truth she knows nothing about herb only that we all love it and she doesn’t. I agreed to try the newfangled machine on the next batch. I decarbed the weed today and it’s chilling in the freezer till I make the first run tomorrow. I watched a YouTube of someone making it and already don’t like the filtering process as it leaves to much plant matter in the final product. This is something that has always been a problem for me as I’ve been looking for a better way to filter. My best way yet is to wet a coffee filter down with grain alcohol so that it’s wet, then tie it to a jar with rubberband leaving a bowl of filter down into the jar as large a possible then pour the tincture thru it. It takes forever but I get a more clear product with less plant matter and taste. Looking for the perfect filter for this now. I’ll admit that the last time I went in to my kidney doc while in the bathroom leaving a sample, I swiped a couple of those beautiful cone filters that you pee thru to catch a kidney stone. Yes I did…use them on my next batch but still Re filtered it via coffee filters. I have another pee in the cup appointment on Friday will check the stock again as it made a great first filter. 😂
so anyone got any filter ideas for this tincture gig?

Cheese cloth also works. Ppl use it when making moonshine. Just layer it.
Cheesecloth doesn't catch all the plant matter tho. Only the big chunks. The machine comes with a filter which I plan to use but after you use it, it still leaves a lot of dust in the bottle… I like it super clear with no junk in it

You can use a vacuum filer to accelerate the process considerably. You need a pump and something similar to this:

Glass Vaccum Suction Filter Filtration Kit 250ml Buchner Funnel 1000mL Conical Flask: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

I used to brew my own testosterone and used a similar setup, though not with coffee filters. If you add a small tank between the pump and glassware, you can get away with a hand pump which is both cheap and powerful.
I saw this and some others like it I can see it working well the first batch then clogging up. And theni would also need a pump and probably tubing too…That THC is super sticky so I would need a rig like this that the filter element could be easily changed out or cleaned. Perhaps I can engineer something using one of the flask suction options available. Didn’t want to sink a pile of cash into it tho. Maybe my current simple way will have to do for now. Thanks so much for your reply. I will shop around for them to see what is out there

You will definitely need to change the filter often. To prevent the THC from clogging, you might also need to filter it hot. Might be worth smoking the used filter too : )

I made most of the components I used, mostly out of chopped up plastic bottles and fish tubing. The pressures are pretty small, even for the .02 micron bacteria filter I needed to use. You should be able to do the same without spending too much. You just need the vacuum line below the filter/funnel and above the reservoir.

Cheesecloth doesn't catch all the plant matter tho. Only the big chunks. The machine comes with a filter which I plan to use but after you use it, it still leaves a lot of dust in the bottle… I like it super clear with no junk in it
Use more cheese cloth. Me I use coffee filters but make sure everything is as cold as possible.freezer over night, better in cooler of dry ice but I haven't gone that far. Properly chilled the larger molecules will not go through filter. As it warms, more and more goes through that you don't want. I follow GreyWolfs method. Comes clear as honey, lighter honey even!

Bubba

Exactly. I've used cheese cloth many times for many things. That's why I said layer it. That's what Moonshiners use to keep thier product clear when adding fruits and such for taste. I have used it to strain oil and water based paints too.

I’ve been making cannabis tincture three batches now for my son in law who is going thru some pretty harsh medical issues. I’ve been using the frozen method with grain alcohol and whole buds not trim which has been working well for him. It actually works for me and no other edible does. one batch usually makes a dozen bottles which he goes thru pretty fast. Recently my daughter gave me this magical butter machine which also makes tincture using heat which I read was a bit better getting the THC out. They were gifted the machine to make butter and tincture but she failed miserably her first try and to tell you the truth she knows nothing about herb only that we all love it and she doesn’t. I agreed to try the newfangled machine on the next batch. I decarbed the weed today and it’s chilling in the freezer till I make the first run tomorrow. I watched a YouTube of someone making it and already don’t like the filtering process as it leaves to much plant matter in the final product. This is something that has always been a problem for me as I’ve been looking for a better way to filter. My best way yet is to wet a coffee filter down with grain alcohol so that it’s wet, then tie it to a jar with rubberband leaving a bowl of filter down into the jar as large a possible then pour the tincture thru it. It takes forever but I get a more clear product with less plant matter and taste. Looking for the perfect filter for this now. I’ll admit that the last time I went in to my kidney doc while in the bathroom leaving a sample, I swiped a couple of those beautiful cone filters that you pee thru to catch a kidney stone. Yes I did…use them on my next batch but still Re filtered it via coffee filters. I have another pee in the cup appointment on Friday will check the stock again as it made a great first filter. 😂
so anyone got any filter ideas for this tincture gig?
Gonna start making gummies. Way cool

After the filtering is all done it be worth it. Have fun Submarine Girl never tried to make tincture myself, maybe in the future. I know I'll be making hash when my crop come in I love my hash.

Exactly. I've used cheese cloth many times for many things. That's why I said layer it. That's what Moonshiners use to keep thier product clear when adding fruits and such for taste. I have used it to strain oil and water based paints too.
Hmmm. Paint reminds me of something. A buddy of mine used filters for his butter, he got them at a paint store. It was for brownies, don't remember how fine it filtered, likely not to be fine enough.

Bubba

Just remembered I have a batch sitting in the frig in my basement......I just might get it out and start my buzz early today.
It actually works for me where other edibles have never done anything but add calories to my diet. I do have quite a high tolerance I’m afraid tho. I use the under the tongue method. Starts working pretty fast that way. I do use full on good bud an ounce makes about a dozen bottles. I’m re filtering it now as I don’t like plant matter in it and try to remove as much as possible. The fancy machine worked great tho.

Latest posts

Back