Cannabis two week old seedling trouble, please help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again, many thanks for everyone (in special Hush) supporting my project, every comment is appreciated!

I'll do my best finding 6500k bulbs, Ill let you guy's know and will post more updates with photos over three days, might ask some more questions tomorrow about the lights that I'll buy. Thanks²

Yes 6500k is truly one of the most important aspects here. :aok:

Hush is quite good.

Are those actual 150W or equivalent wattage? The pricing seems more in line with a 150W equivalent than an actual 150W. Over here, a 42W which is a 150W equivalent runs around $10 each. In addition, I am always a little leery of bulbs that do not list the lumens.

I am not sure that the spectrum is that critical. Some people veg with HPS which are usually in the 2500-3500K range. I am more concerned about the lumens.

Since it's almost 30cm long I can be quite sure it's actually pure 150w and not equiv.
Would be quite strange to have a 30cm long and 9cm wide but only 42watt CFL bulb.

Lumens isn't metioned anywhere but it should be around 9000 I guess, it's sold over 70 times so I don't think it can be that bad, sellers has also nice feedback. But to be honest, I have no idea about the lumens either probably not a 12000lm standard as most 150w CFL's but it's can't be that bad otherwise people would have complained I guess...

Ebay is a constant competing market, thousands of sellers attempting to sell their goods as cheap as possible. Don't look at the prices, they can be ridiculously low because the seller, based in UK buys directly from the Hong Kong seller in amounts of 1000+.
But don't worry, 95% of CFL's are made in Hong Kong, it's not poor quality it's probably the same quality as you would find in your local hardware store.

Again, no clue how they are doing, you tell me!

I did notice that the tips of the leaves became more brownish, the pics tell the story.

(UPDATE: Cotyledons are 80% brown:) )

yo.jpg

yoo.jpg

yooooo.jpg

They look like they are going to survive this initial burn. :) Don't even worry about those leaves that are already burnt as they will eventually die and fall off, but that will be when the plants have grown bigger. As long as the leaves are at least half green, they are still producing for the plant so don't remove them. The plant will actually take the important nutrients from those leaves before dropping them. :)

Hi,

New growth is looking yellow on 2 out of 3 plants?
Cotyledons are completly gone, could it be a defficiency this time? Or somethingelise? Help please and fast , thank you very much!

Thanks!

Edit: I did water them two times in a week but I did not checked pH but I did checked pH a week ago which was 6.8 If I remember correctly. Temperature, humidity and airflow can't be the problem.

mp.jpg

mpp.jpg

You say that temps RH and airflow cannot be the problem. Let's go over that again to make sure the environment is really okay.

Cotyledons always yellow and fall off.

How are you checking the pH? What is the water quality of the water you are using?

It is hard to try and give advise when they are in prenuted soil. The yellowing doesn't really look a N deficiency to me either. I am almost wondering about micro-nutrient deficiency. Do you have any nutes for them? What are you planning on feeding them?

Actually, growing cannabis is a lot complicated then I thought it would be, it demands much more then the average plants.

But anyhow here is a picture of a liquid fertilizer I bought, it's the best I could find for the vegetative fase for cannabis.
View second image, the first one is turned upside down It's another language but I hope you understand if not ask me.

Basically it sais: Liquid Fertilizer with NPK 7-3-6 with trace elements (=sporenelementen) , add 20ml each 3liter.

Water quality is just tap water that might be somewhat high in calcium, has a neutral pH (6.7) and tastes normal , further things I don't know

mppppp.jpg

mo.jpg

Hey Mortaion, so sorry to be late getting back to you on this. I agree with The Hemp Goddess that they are suffering at this point from micronutrient deficiency. When you flushed the soil, it must have stripped it better than we thought. With the damage that they suffered in the beginning, they had to use up their cotyledons sooner. So now it is time to feed them a bit. This is where you must be extra carefull.

The nutrients that you show there look like the correct line of nutrients for the vegetative stage but don't go by the directions exactly. What you need to do is look at the directions and see if it gives specific directions for feeding very young plants. If it doesn't say anything about young plants, and it only says to give 20ml per 3L water, that is for adult plants. What you will need to do is get a container that you can keep the water in for watering/feeding them. Then fill it with the 3liters of water and only add 1/4 of the total to the water. That means for right now you will only add to the water 5ml of the nutrient solution.

You will mix this thoroughly and allow it to set for 1hr then check the PH of the solution. Then wait for 6hrs and check it again. If the PH does not change(and it is at the proper range of 6.5-6.9), it is ok for using to water/feed the plants. If the PH does change then you will need to wait another 6hrs and then check it again. Once the PH has reached a point where it isn't changing anymore then you can add in adjusters if it is outside the proper PH range(or use it if it is in the acceptable range).

If it isn't at the proper PH then you will need to adjust it to the proper PH by adding PH adjuster chemicals(acid buffer to lower PH and alkalinity buffer to raise PH). Then you will need to mix thoroughly and allow it to set again for 1hr and then test PH again. You may have to do this several times to get it right. Start by adding small amounts like 1-2ml of buffer chemicals at a time so that you don't over-shoot the target PH as it isn't good to be adding in both types of buffers to the same solution. After you have done this a few times, it will get much easier, and you will be able to skip steps as you learn how much of each chemical affects the solution PH.

Once you have the water/feed solution ready, you can add to the soil of each plant just enough water to wet the soil good. I wouldn't soak them to the point that they drain water unless the soil is drying out fairly quick. Keep your solution for future watering when the soil gets dry. With this type of watering/feeding, you will be feeding them every time you water, which is ok to do when you don't have soil with nutrients in it, and your solution is mild.

Use this level of nutrients in your water for about 7-10 days unless you see significant growth withing 5 days. If you do see significant growth then when you need to make up another batch of "nute" solution, you will increase the level of nutes to 10ml to 3 liters of water and continue to water/feed as before. After 7days at this level, you should see continued significant growth. If no problems occur to this point and the plants are looking healthy you can increase the nutrients to 15ml per 3liters at the next batch of water/feed solution you make up for them.

Each time you increase your nutrient level in your solution, give the plants 7-10days to react to the "nute" level before increasing again. This will allow you to monitor their growth and see if any problems occur. You will continue to increase the level of nute in the solution until you reach 20ml per 3liters or until you begin to see the tips of the leaves begin to burn again like they did at first. If you see this "tip burn" on the newer leaves, or the leaves begin to curl under as if forming the the shape of predator bird claws, that means you have reached the maximum amount of nutrients that the plants can handle, and you will have to use 5ml less in next batch of solution. If you have a fresh batch of solution and the plants show max "nute burn" or "leaf curl" then just dilute the solution with 1 liter of water rather than disposing of it. :)

I know this is a lot to take in :eek: but it gets easier over time as you get familiar with the needs of growing MJ. As you said, growing MJ is not at all as simple as one would think. Many, many new growers discover this and many end in failure because they are unwilling to embrace the needs of growing MJ. It is far more involved that one would think, but not as difficult as one would fear. :)

Many thanks, I've done the steps you said.
pH was good (5ml / 1000ml). I've fed each plant 330ml, nothing drained out of the bottom (2l pots).

Another question:
When I compare my plants to others it looks like mine is growing really slow :(
It's already in it's third week and if I checkout some others , at their third week they are ALOOOOTT bigger are they lying or is mines slow because of the problems?

Thanks

Your plants are behind the regular growth rate because of the damage that they suffered at the beginning. They have had to rebuild their root system as well as repair damage throughout the plant body. The yellowing that we are seeing in them now is a possible sign that the roots have failed to regenerate, but I am hoping for you that it is just the lack of nutrients from the flushing. Now that you have added back the nutrients, we will see what happens. If they don't begin to grow more and see the leaves become more green within another 3-5 days then I fear they may die. I am hoping they make it. Green grow mojo my friend :)

Thanks, I will keep you guys updated.
Also, when I transplanted the plants several weeks ago (1-2?) I couldn't see any roots only as close as 1,5 inch from the stem but anyhow we will just wait and see. Thumbs up!

I think it do was a micronutrient defficiency.
Some yellow restored back green, judge yourself and compare with the two other pictures taken before.

But.. the micronutrient problem is solved but some other leaves browned even more (fertilizer burn)? So I don't really know what to do now, let the plant live with the micronutrient problem or take away that problem but live with nutrient burns?

It's really so remarkable how much this plants demands to just live healthy:eek: , it's never good enough :mad:

MOOOO.jpg

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.jpg

it's still growing is a good thing they are hard to kill but you shoudl pop a few seeds next time never bank on one sprout

It's really so remarkable how much this plants demands to just live healthy , it's never good enough

Well, especially the way you did it to start, etc.. ya know? If you knew what you know now from learning by MP and trial/error... it would go a tad smoother. :aok:

To be honest, the two comments above don't make me any smarter, anyonelse with some usefull critism,advice or predictions? Can't really use this kind of critism.

Thanks

Hey Mortaion :) It looks like adding back some nutrients was the right move for them as they definitely look better. That nute burn is actually old damage that is still showing itself. When they have been burned like they were, it takes some time for them to recover and they often will show continuing damage on the older leaves that wasn't noticed before. I believe the damage to the older leaves doesn't show right away as it is internal to the leaf, and the plant is trying to save the leaf even as it is showing more and more damage.

The important thing is that the newest leaves are still healthy. At some point the plant will decide that the older leaves are too damaged to be of use, then it will remove any usefull materials from those older leaves and allow them to dry up and fall off. The plant will take the materials and move them to the younger leaves to strengthen and grow them faster to support the plant's needs. Right now it seems like growing is far more difficult but that is because they started out badly and are still weak. Once they fully recover, they will take off and do better.

The good thing about having these kinds of problems early is that you are learning more than you realize about the nature of MJ. As I said before, MJ is a very "finicky" plant but it is also a very hardy and determined plant. Try to remain patient and continue to feed them lightly until they start to grow a little faster. They will get stronger and will get growing faster, and then you will have to increase the level of nutrients to keep up with them. :)

Ahaha, such a comment is lovely! Very usefull critiscm,advice and predictions, all three in one!
And that's true it's an awesome learning experience. Next time, I'll think twice before growing MJ , haha.

Okay fine, I will do that, the next time I water them, should I add again 1/4 fertilizer or water with pure water?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back