carbon air filter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flight175

Reaction score
would buying a carbon air filter do anything to mask the smell of my grow room? like one of those ones you can get at lowes? I know it wouldn't work as well as one of those big carbon air scrubbers i hear about but do they work very well?

Yeah, they'll work pretty good I think. You'll have to change the filter out more than recommended during flower.
It won't mask the odor it will purify the air and won't have any smell at all.
But there are tons of how to make your own. but if you want something easy then go for it. You want to size the unti to your grow room tho.
This is off of reading the specs and My opinion as I never ran one.

I think (don't quote me) Dr. Greenthumb has one similar in his grow room. Might want to PM him and ask first.

DIY carbon scrubber suggestions
Unless you are growing terribly skunky strains, Silicon based kitty litter works good as a scrubbin material. If your growin pure skunk tho, its only about 80% effective.
A 2" layer of carbon is typically suggested. You can use 1" or 1.5" but be prepared to change the carbon out more often.
If you go with the round DIY style filter, using insect screen as the shell and inner core, 24" in legnth works good, allows plenty of air flow with minimal restriction. If you need more air flow increase the legnth of the filter. Also, the longer the filter, the more carbon required to fill it. example, a 24" long filter, with a 6" inlet and inner core size will scrub 200cfm. To scrub 400 cfm, increase filter legnth to 36", or change to a 8" inlet and core size. shell would be 12" for a 8" core size.

My issue with the filter you link, is most of those are designed for "Typical household odors". Cats, dogs, cigarette smoke and the like. MJ's aroma is alot more potent then any of those, alone or combined, and takes a litte more to get it out. It also doesnt mention if it is a carbon impregnated filter, or if it actually has an activated carbon layer of any dimension.
Odor busts about as many growers as loose lips, maybe more. It is of upmost important in any grow to control it 100%. You'll sleep much better, and your time away from home will be less stressful worrying if a passerby caught a whiff as they took their dog for a walk.

Latest posts

Back