Carbon Filters - Short or Tall

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Track

Reaction score
Throughout my entire grow, there is one question that has evaded me.

Whether a short, fatter carbon filter is better than a tall, skinnier carbon filter.

Logically, if the air has to travel through more carbon, it has a higher chance of being filtered, right?

Well, then why are taller filters with a thinner layer of carbon being sold for the same price?

I've heard people recommended them.

But, I want to know what you think.

I like using longer filters....IF there is room! The better carbon quality the longer the filter will last so get a good premade or make your own w coco carbon. More surface area the better!!

I like using longer filters....IF there is room! The better carbon quality the longer the filter will last so get a good premade or make your own w coco carbon. More surface area the better!!

Wait, what?

But I thought the LESS surface area the better.

Less surface area means thicker layer of carbon, which means the air has to go through more carbon before exiting out.

I think surface area in this context means surface area of activated carbon. I dont remember excatly but 1g of good quality activated carbon has a surface area of something like 500 m2.

The LESS your carbon has surface area the lower quality your carbon is.

I think surface area in this context means surface area of activated carbon. I dont remember excatly but 1g of good quality activated carbon has a surface area of something like 500 m2.

The LESS your carbon has surface area the lower quality your carbon is.

I don't think you guys are understanding what I'm saying.

It's not the carbon that has surface area, it's the filter.

The question is - should the filter have a thicker layer of carbon or a thinner one?

Budroe...I think YOU dont understand.

carbon has surface area. All matter does!

I prefer the longer filters that hold more carbon.

I use the premium coconut carbon. It has a higher surface area..is more porous and lasts longer.

thats just me.

Budroe...I think YOU dont understand.

carbon has surface area. All matter does!

I prefer the longer filters that hold more carbon.

thats just me.

But the longer filters don't have more carbon.

It's the same amount of carbon.

The question is whether it should be spread in a short, thick layer or a tall, thin layer.

That's the question.

Check the CFM rating on them both. That is the indicator of how much air it can clean.

If a filter has 10,000 pounds of carbon but only filters 1 CFM......... Get it?

So, check the CFM rating.

Short and fat.
The air is being forced through more layers of carbon. Larger CFM's may be needed then with a tall skinny one

Check the CFM rating on them both. That is the indicator of how much air it can clean.

If a filter has 10,000 pounds of carbon but only filters 1 CFM......... Get it?

So, check the CFM rating.

Short and fat.
The air is being forced through more layers of carbon. Larger CFM's may be needed then with a tall skinny one

They're the same CFM rating. If they weren't I wouldn't be asking this question.

Yaeh, that's what I was saying! More layers of carbon = better, right?

But no one seems to agree with this wholly logical premise..

In that case you would probably want to know the volume of carbon in each.

And, I think the grade and/or granularity of carbon can also make a difference in effectiveness.

In that case you would probably want to know the volume of carbon in each.

And, I think the grade and/or granularity of carbon can also make a difference in effectiveness.

Damnit, why does everyone sideline the question??

It's the same exact carbon, made by the same exact company.

The ONLY difference is one is shorter and thicker with more carbon layered inside and one is taller and thinner with less carbon layered inside.

My skinny filter has more carbon in it than my short one.... but if in your case its the same carbon amount...and you have a fan big enuff.
.get the one with thicker internal dimentions.

It also depends whether it is facing East or West.

I think the planet alignment has something to do with it as well. Not real sure on that one, though.

;)

Just out of curiosity, do you have a link to the models you're comparing?

Lol hacker.

im trying to help I promise! Its so hard to hear anyones tone when they type if you know what I mean.

im not being sarcastic or anything and def wasnt intending to side-step.

Depends on the fan you use....lol

No, it doesn't. They're both rated at the same CFM rating.

It also depends whether it is facing East or West.

I think the planet alignment has something to do with it as well. Not real sure on that one, though.

;)

Why? Why is it that every time I ask this it eventually comes down to jokes?

It's a serious question!

Which way it's facing = meaningless.
Planet alignment = meaningless.

Thicker layer of carbon = meaningful??

Latest posts

Back