Celebrating all things cannabis -- Hempfest draws throngs to Myrtle Edwards Park

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
They poured into Myrtle Edwards Park on the Seattle waterfront Saturday -- thousands of cannabis-lovers in Seattle to network and celebrate their favorite green plant.

Some listened to activists discuss the benefits of medical marijuana. Others roamed the park looking for the newest models of bongs.

Yet more lounged about on the grass listening to live music and openly smoking joints. Meanwhile, police officers walked by impassively, tolerating the pungent odor of marijuana smoke.

"It's a beautiful thing, man," said 17-year-old Brad Taylor, who said he was attending Seattle Hempfest with his friends for the first time. "No one's hassling us, everyone here is totally into this stuff."

As Hempfest kicked off its 17th year in the Emerald City Saturday morning, attendees widely agreed that it remains the country's premier event for marijuana users. Though other cities host similar celebrations, organizers say none are as large or important as Seattle's version.

More than 1,000 volunteers have been accredited for Hempfest this year to deal with the roughly 100,000 people who are expected to attend.

And the list of special guests reads like a who's who of the most prominent proponents of legalizing marijuana, including a veritable parade of physicians singing the praises of the drug.

Among those scheduled to make an appearance were the leaders of most of the country's big marijuana lobbying groups.

Rick Steves, the well-known Washington travel author and ardent marijuana supporter, was among those scheduled to make an appearance.

Though leaders are still pushing the decriminalization of marijuana, organizers said this year's Hempfest is different from past versions because industrial hemp, or cannabis used for non-drug purposes such as paper or biodiesel fuel, is now a big focus.

"It's kind of our main thing because this country is really missing out on how it can be used positively for everyone," said volunteer Dale Rogers.

Still many people seemed less interested in industrial hemp or the intricacies of marijuana reform than figuring out the best ways to get a nice buzz.

Chris McClatchy said sales of bongs in the tent where he was working were brisk.

Several young people gathered around, carefully studying the merchandise.

"I mean, don't you think we'd sell a lot of stuff at a festival like this?" McClatchy asked. "Hell yeah we are!"

The mood throughout the day seemed mostly jovial and friendly, despite large crowds and the heat.

Among the only disruptions was a group of street preachers who stood carrying signs with phrases like "Jesus is Lord" as they loudly condemned attendees as heathens.

Police monitored the situation -- at one point separating a preacher and another man who were in a heated argument -- but said the preachers had a right to be there because the park was a public place.

A Hempfest leader said the protesters show up each year and added that a group of transsexuals were en route to frighten off the preachers, something that also takes place each year.

hxxp://tinyurl.com/56727r

A Hempfest leader said the protesters show up each year and added that a group of transsexuals were en route to frighten off the preachers, something that also takes place each year.

:rofl:

:yeahthat: this event was great this year. spend my sunday hanging out there. endded up get a nice double bubbler for a great price that evening. kinda was a great feeling smoking in front of cops, without them even looking twice at ya :joint: :heart: :cop: = :headbang2:

There was actually at least 250,000 people there, and it was awesome!
That was was my 7th Hempfest, and I love goin out there to smoke hash
with Jack Herer and Ed Rosenthal.

Peace

im a little lost, how is it possible for them to smoke with all the cops around and them not mess with you? or did i miss something somewhere? LOL:confused: :confused: :confused:

Firepower said:
im a little lost, how is it possible for them to smoke with all the cops around and them not mess with you? or did i miss something somewhere? LOL:confused: :confused: :confused:

There is a law in Seattle making marijuana smoking the lowest priority
for law enforcment. Also it is hard to bust a quarter million stoners...

yea i was there last year, there is not enough cops to bust everyone, so they would bassicly have a riot on their hands....

Latest posts

Back