CFI"S and growing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hero4u2b

Reaction score
Hey everyone.. I have only 1 grow under my belt but I did it with CFL:S a few small fans ect.. Now I have a 600 watt cooltube for flowering and a larger 420 cfm fan.. and a few smaller things. my question is.. is All this going to be ok running off a CFI circuit..??? because thats the only convienent outlet near my closet. Thanks Hero

Hi Hero- How ya doing?

I suspect you mean a GFI (Ground Fault Interrupt) circuit. Probably a 15 amp, maybe a 20? Either way, it is more than enough to run a 600 watt light, a 420 cfm fan (4" ?), even a small ac unit or dehumidifier and a couple of circulating and intake fans.

If it starts tripping, it's more than likely the outlet, unless you have some older faulty equipment. IMO it's always best to use a GFI outlet to prevent overload.

You should be good to go! :aok: Be safe bud!

BB fan gave you good info, check your equipment to verify the amps dont exceed 80% of 15amps but odds are they dont come close.

O ok BBfan with HL's last thread I started thinking.. I mean I dont want an extenstion cord running across my bedroom floor. With the door closed you would never know whats inside and would like to keep it that way.. Thanks for the info BBfan.. and yeah sorry I meant GFI.. Hero

Thanks Dman.. When I get this room all done which I really am not in a hurry .. maybe late October when hurricane season winds down. I will know for sure.. If not I might have to either hire an electrican or just run it across the floor . but I would kind of like to avoid that.. Appreciate it Dman.. Hero

i just checked mine, 600 watt ballast is 5.05 amps and a 6inch vortex is 0.93 amps, you should be way fine.

Just make sure you get the right guage wire on your extension cord and keep it as short as possible and you'll be ok. If the wire ever feels warm, unplug it right away, you need a higher (lower) guage. Be safe.

Didnt know that but Thanks.. Appreciate it you guys.. One last thing if your still here.. Inside the closet there is a sprinkeler up on the ceiling.. like if there is a fire.. all nasty *#! water will come out.. I shouldnt have a problem with that either I hope? My temps were pretty low on the first grow. like never got hotter that 80 degrees.. Thanks Hero

Hero- If it goes off it should go off. You gotta get your temps pretty high to set that off. Don't know your living situation but if it goes off, worry about your safety first. Grow more plants anytime.

somewhere in the neighbourhood of 160 degress to set sprinklers off.

True.. I was just refering to if it did.. I hope all of them wouldnt.. I mean they are all over in here. one in every room.. I always look at them and think if they went off. everything in this place would be destroyed.. But I understand what your saying.. They would probobly have to be well over 100 degrees.. Thanks BBfan. Hero

Is there other stuff running off this same circuit? Things like blow dryers, space heaters, toasters, microwaves, etc, etc, can pull some amps.

No That circuit is or will be totally dedicated to the flower room.. which will be 1 600 watt HPS.. 1 424 cfm growbright ( HTG) inline fan w/ speed controler, a standard room fan,, and a possible small extractor fan thru the drywall. Thanks HG

hero4u2b said:
No That circuit is or will be totally dedicated to the flower room.. which will be 1 600 watt HPS.. 1 424 cfm growbright ( HTG) inline fan w/ speed controler, a standard room fan,, and a possible small extractor fan thru the drywall. Thanks HG

What size breaker are you installing (make sure you run heavy enough wire for the breaker you plan on installing)? That is what matters. However, you should be just find, even with a 15 amp breaker. If you are running a dedicated circuit, I, personally, would make it larger than I believed I needed.

MM It is one of the ones like in a bathroom.. that easily trips..and has a button right on it to reset it.. forgive my ignorence.. Im not that familer with electrical stuff.. It is a standard breaker.. But is each plug in ( there are 2.) a seperate circuit? I have my master bedroom which there is an attached bath and foyer area in the middle dividing the bathroom from the walkinn closest. which is were everything is set up.. I plugged the light in.. the 600 watt and after like 5 mins.. it gets so bright it is hard to look at. lol O and no nothing else but the flower electrical things.. If I did have to use say something electrical I would use it before 4 am or after 4 pm.. Thanks Roddy and HG.. Hero

That is not a separate circuit. I am a little confused though--we need more info here. Are you just running another outlet off a pre-existing one? Or are you using an outlet that is already installed? Under either scenario, there are other things on the same circuit (breaker) unless you ran new wire all the back to your breaker box and installed a breaker just for this outlet. If this is a bathroom circuit, it should already be GFI protected. But plugging something like a blow dryer (any high wattage device) into the same circuit could pop the breaker.

In some houses like mine, the circuit for the bathroom is also on the same circuit with the other bathroom. So if we trip the ground fault interrupter in one bathroom, we lose power in both bathrooms. You should test the circuit by turning off the breaker and checking all of the receptacles(plug-ins) in the bathrooms, utility room, and any outside receptacles as any of these could be on the same circuit.

Latest posts

Back