CFL 42 watt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I picked up 2 2700k bulbs. I couldn't find any 6500k at Walmart, I'll look again tomorrow. I'm building my grow box this weekend and will try to have pics soon.

All i could find at my local were 35w 6400k & 35w 2700k. How many of each would you recommend for 3 plants?

Thanks.

for 300cm² - 1ft² you'll need 2500 to 5000 lumen. For flowering try to have more lumen. Just calculate how many fluorescent bulbs you will need and if you are going to do non stop grow or one batch at a time (one or two grow spaces).

What is your aim in this grow? How many grow rooms you will use? Will you do continued harvest, revegetation type or classic one batch at a time? How much you can invest as well and of course ventilation.

peacock said:
check out this book "Marijuana Buds for Less: Grow 8 Oz. of Bud for Less Than $100 (Paperback)" amazon.com or ca. He uses six 42 watt cfl's to grow two plants and 8oz.

there is no a spectrum, veg or flowering in these bulbs.

Even under optimum conditions, does anyone REALLY think that this is possible--8 ozs from 2 plants flowered under only 252W of CFL light?

LOL, I was asking the same thing, but on another note, I think it's HILLARIOUS that The Hemp Goddess has been thanked 420 times. LMAO!

I believe it is possible because light loses it's potency on d². He always kept lights around 3cm. Normally people place their MH lamps least one feet away from the plants so 30cm.

Lets assume that CFLs have one half of light effectivity and our control group used 600W MH which has 53,000 lumens. He had 6x2000 lumen lamps, 12,000 lumen. We may not be able to know the exact amount of light loss but we can simply make a shift calculation.

53,000/30² = 58
12,000/3² = 4000

Results show that his poor CLFs are much much much more effective. Though the way he uses them and his reflectors are different than classic sense. I believe his success lies within the micro management of lights not raw power.

man i just had 40500 lumens on 3 plants in 4 square feet and didn't get nothing like 4 ounces per plant. i get 2 ounces pretty consistantly.

the big bible by J Cervantes says that "warm white CFL's (2700K)...can be used alone but are best used in conjunction with cool white lamps to avoid internodal stretching during flowering". (p.210). I'm not sure about mixed spectrum and veg growth. I currently have a 6400 k 125watt CFL (it's like a mini-sun its so bright) and 2 smaller 100w equivalent "full spectrum" (5000K) bulbs plus another big 125w 2700k bulb. I think I'm gonna get some more small cool whites and turn off the 2700k bulb until flower-time. I have had a hard time finding cool whites in the higher wattages at home depot/Lowe's. I'm glad you asked the question b/c I've been wondering the same thing.Not all of the packages give spectrum info. Look at the base of the bulb as well, sometimes it's written there and nowhere else
:confused2:

Cornellius said:
I believe it is possible because light loses it's potency on d². He always kept lights around 3cm. Normally people place their MH lamps least one feet away from the plants so 30cm.

Lets assume that CFLs have one half of light effectivity and our control group used 600W MH which has 53,000 lumens. He had 6x2000 lumen lamps, 12,000 lumen. We may not be able to know the exact amount of light loss but we can simply make a shift calculation.

53,000/30² = 58
12,000/3² = 4000

Results show that his poor CLFs are much much much more effective. Though the way he uses them and his reflectors are different than classic sense. I believe his success lies within the micro management of lights not raw power.

It isn't the vegging part of this that I have a problem with--it is the flowering. I'm sorry, but I just cannot believe 4 ozs off a plant that is getting as little light as these are. I don't care how much he micro manages, he still only has 6 light bulbs to micro manage and they only spread light so far. A 4oz plant is generally a good sized plant.

I am probably going to have to buy this book just to find out...

ya if he gets 4 oz per plant with 6 bulbs im doing something wrong for sure. i had twice that many and only got half that much.

The Hemp Goddess said:
It isn't the vegging part of this that I have a problem with--it is the flowering. I'm sorry, but I just cannot believe 4 ozs off a plant that is getting as little light as these are. I don't care how much he micro manages, he still only has 6 light bulbs to micro manage and they only spread light so far. A 4oz plant is generally a good sized plant.

I am probably going to have to buy this book just to find out...

If you think, it worths 11$, go for it. I would recommend downloading it as it is not filled with a lot of information. He just tells you about how he watered and gave nutes, what went wrong, in some pages there are not even single bit of text about plants! Contains a little information for the price.

oh kay, this is kinda funny. i'm VERY experienced with cfl's...yes, 65k=veg and 27k=flower, we all should know that by now. walmart DOES carry a 23watt cfl(65K), GREAT for vegging. i use 6 bulbs for 10 plants (3 in one gallon, 7 in bottoms of a 2 liter bottle)...my vegging is amazing. make sure ya got mylar or white sides....

also, you 42watt twisty cfl's are good too, but i would only use it for the tops...i prefer the 26watt cfl's for the upper sides, you can use 2 for the cost of using 1-42w. now even tho your using the "red" spectrum, i've found it doesn't hurt to throw one or 2 65k in the middle on top. now i'm sure most will endorse the hps, but...i've tried those, it stretched my ladies BADLY...it ruined my sweeties, and ya ask why? cause the bulb that came with it was a piece of crap, so much for a great deal on that one...my biggest ladie from cfl's gave me 140 grams wet weight (i know, to some on here thats a drop in the bucket, for me thats awesome), no clue on the dry weight cause i was a zombie as soon as the 2nd day after she was havested. now those 10 ladies weren't all under cfl's, i was still experimenting with ONE under my 250 hps, 4 under my t-5's, and 5 under my cfl's. gotta remember, USE REFLECTION and proper ventilation, they do get warm! the way their light is distributed is a "cone" like fashion, meaning down put them horizonal, only vertical, and some between the plants...they'll impress ya BIG time.

octobong007 said:
oh kay, this is kinda funny. i'm VERY experienced with cfl's...yes, 65k=veg and 27k=flower, we all should know that by now. walmart DOES carry a 23watt cfl(65K), GREAT for vegging. i use 6 bulbs for 10 plants (3 in one gallon, 7 in bottoms of a 2 liter bottle)...my vegging is amazing. make sure ya got mylar or white sides....

also, you 42watt twisty cfl's are good too, but i would only use it for the tops...i prefer the 26watt cfl's for the upper sides, you can use 2 for the cost of using 1-42w. now even tho your using the "red" spectrum, i've found it doesn't hurt to throw one or 2 65k in the middle on top. now i'm sure most will endorse the hps, but...i've tried those, it stretched my ladies BADLY...it ruined my sweeties, and ya ask why? cause the bulb that came with it was a piece of crap, so much for a great deal on that one...my biggest ladie from cfl's gave me 140 grams wet weight (i know, to some on here thats a drop in the bucket, for me thats awesome), no clue on the dry weight cause i was a zombie as soon as the 2nd day after she was havested. now those 10 ladies weren't all under cfl's, i was still experimenting with ONE under my 250 hps, 4 under my t-5's, and 5 under my cfl's. gotta remember, USE REFLECTION and proper ventilation, they do get warm! the way their light is distributed is a "cone" like fashion, meaning down put them horizonal, only vertical, and some between the plants...they'll impress ya BIG time.

I'll be experimenting CFLs till I save enough cash for HPS and MH bulbs so we'll see.

Latest posts

Back