CFL lighting 101

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats what i do, CFL for veg and 400w HPS for flower. my seedlings nodes are super close together which means they are loving the light.

now they say that more light in the blue spectrum will help improve your chances of female plants;)

here are the cool tubes i was talking about.
16d2_1_sbl.jpg

thats cool. it just sucks a** at how much i spent on those 600s and the guy at the store acted like he did me a favor. i didnt know any better but hey u live and learn. i wish i would of read this forum b4 i went and got equipment could've saved a lot of $. thanks cyberquest u always help out.

its cool man, but trust me you didnt waste money on them lights! they are still gonna give you one good azz grow man! all i am saying is using a cool tube like above will allow you to get some of the light thats wasted back into good use.

almost all the growers here are using HPS lights to flower, up until very recently its been the best choice in lights, and is still prefered by many growers. but just like everything in this world eventually something is gonna come along thats just a little better. CFL's are getting there.

i can see that everyone is using the cfl they're really getting the job done for alot less $

i think usefull info about CFL and HID CQ if you posted that already sorry .
anyway thas are cons and pros of CFL's

Pros:
Reduced heat output allows closer positioning to plants in addition to operation in enclosed spaces without the heat build-up associated with HID systems.

Integrated systems are easier to use than multiple component HID systems.

Fluorescent tubes maintain lumen output longer and generally cost less than HID lamps.

Internally-ballasted fluorescent tube fixtures take up minimal space and can hang vertically or horizontally.

Balanced, full-spectrum fluorescents can stimulate both vegetative growth AND fruiting and flowering.

A linear light source has less shading than a single-point HID source.

Cons:
Fluorescents do not penetrate the plant canopy as well as their HID counterparts.

Initial investment is comparable to that of a small HID system.

HID lamps often surpass fluorescents in efficiency of lumen-per-watt delivery.

good post man, covers some of the stuff i already said but puts it into a little easier terms to understand i think.

my HID lamp is slowly loosing popularity around here ;)

its cool man i hope one day you can add some of my usefull info and anybody else put it together in one or two post and let Hick or TBG lock it on the top of the forum

just a thought :)

cyber...you've done some really great research here! Nice primer for new growers and good links! You're a credit to the board...so have a hit on me...:bong1:

Nelson

yep that bulb would work in any fixture in the house. they can be found at just about any department store! lowes, home depot, walmart,kmart, dollar general, target, meijers, and so on and so forth.

If I had two plants, do you think 4 of these Fluorescent bulbs would suffice, without any reflective walls (foil/mylar/etc.)? or should I still surround plants with reflective lining.

hmmm i didnt used before but trust it make a big diference couse lower branches get light as far as 4 bulbs go yea thats enof

i just bought those but i got mine from home depot
85 watt cot $42 and 100 watt $52 with some change

Can i plug them into a regular lamp, or what kind of fixture do i need to plug it into?

if you talk about fluorex they they come in fixtures just a bulb 100 watt is 15$

and thosa are mogul base the prices abov are with complete fixtures ready go with ballast and everything you not going to fin nothig cheaper that beat 10000 lumes for 52$

they got regular base but is 42watt puts dow like over 4200 lumes

yep looks like that would be a good bulb.

thats the thing with CFL's they can be found at almost anywhere. and for low budget people you can expand literally one bulb at a time till you build up to what suits your grow needs best.

Latest posts

Back