CFL lighting 101

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty good deal i woulda bought a 2 pack of those if i didnt already buy an led grow light still havnt got it in the mail i have heard both good and bad about led's

This is the thread ive been looking for!

In your opinion what is the best flowering CFL the average person can buy at a department store? That Home Depot Marathon?

Good work! The closer is the better just like my grow space design.

ok i may be asking in the wrong place you know your stuff about Flours. i cant afford going big time right now. i have a t5 going in my flower state. not a big producer light for sure. grow closet is 5' tall x 36"deep x 5' lng. should i keep the t5 on top and cfl the side?

what spectrum is the t5? if its 2700k then leave it where it is and just add cfls above and around the sides. i've used the silver reflectors with claps, the way you can direct the light to shine oln the areas you want. i hope that makes sense.

Thanks slomo for bringing it up...again....this is an old thread...and is a great read...

Hey city..slowmo is the guy to ask about cfl..just read up on his /her posts..Im just starting with them....only 4 Male chamber tho...

thanks slowmo77....this Bongs 4U

slowmo. has helped in a couple of Diff. post. im perinoid now.(I think he/she) is following me)lol.

Ok Slowmo. i was thinking of doing a sea of green. in the above discribed closet. 6 smalls starting at 12" before flower. on a deep root hydro.(just started 15 min ago in the drip system (sprouts).lol this is now in a reflective tent. box is put together but not finished. soing hi reflective inside. since the hydro tub is 1' tall that leaves me 4' to the top. i was thinking of doing 8 flours on the left and right side and 8 on top. that can be moved up and down. this will be my Veg and bloom set up. what suggestions do you have. that doesnt require a trip to the bank....

Hey city....another thing someone shared with me was.."when asking a question in another thread its good to thank the person you are responding too"...other wise they "slow" may not come back to this post..how else would he/she know?..make any sence?..Im going to rip a few more...Good luck my friend

Do you know if it would be harmful to mix different bulbs w different temperatures?
(would light find a middle ground between 5500k and 6500k? (average light out?))

ie.
2 65w @ 6500k
3 18w @ 5500k

I've been having problems with burns and yellowing on my veg plants using this setup (before i had a total of 6 18watters not 3), i was thinking i placed them to close to the plants but now maybe it was the different temperatures????

Also,

don't leave water drops on leaves if you are using CFLs, they will burn the plant.

CZ

I've used a 120w 6700k for veg and am using a 120w 2700k for flower, along with a bunch of smaller (20-ish watt) bulbs thrown around for good measure. Had to buy seperate ballasts, but so far so good. Dropped one bulb (ouch) early on...there goes 70 bucks..I'll let you all know what the yield is like:D

P8080006.JPG

P7310001.JPG

Rom, you broke a cfl?? you might want to check out their "environmental hazards". The contain a li'l bit of mercury.
I doubt enough to do you any major harm, but children or pets "might" be effected.

Hick said:
Rom, you broke a cfl?? you might want to check out their "environmental hazards". The contain a li'l bit of mercury.
I doubt enough to do you any major harm, but children or pets "might" be effected.

Thanx Hick. That is important to remember. I'm all over it...luckily the bulb rolled onto the floor and didn't really shatter, but was definitely unusable. No hazmat suits needed this time. Be careful when handling those big suckers...they're unweildy...:eek:

great read... good thing i read it too cuz i was going to buy a 1000w MH for veg. w/o a blower to cool the light.

it would be cool if someone can start a "L.E.D. lighting 101" thread so we can learn about leds, too.

thanks

Brouli said:
they dont use ballast i check with a guy in store thats the beauty of it .

CQ so if i run 302 watts
that 4 of those and and regular 42 watt CFL
tahat 29500 lumes in a room 2x3 that 4916 lumes per square feet is that good for good yeld ??

does this mean you can just plug n play in a regular light fixture? did you just buy the bulb?

also, did you get it shipped or local pickup? if pickup where is their store located?

thanks

Hello everyone -

Can't tell you how thrilled I am to have found this thread re: cfl's.

I am a newbie and I'm getting prepered to grow soon. I also took a peek on ebay and searched under cfl, sog and scrog - sounds like more and more people are having good results performing entire grow cycles under just cfl's.

This site is amazing.

Latest posts

Back