cfl questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am setting up a micro grow box and am going to use two cfls. 45 or 65 watt. I was wondering because it is a micro grow is it ok to use the same bulbs throughout the whole grow? If i did is it best to get 6500 or 2700?

this is a pretty hard question to answer homie.. try throwing some more stats out there ... how big of a box? how many plants? hydro or soil? what type of bud? all these things will give us more to think about and we can help U out a lil better..

lil tip.. if your just geting started.. youtube what you are thinking of doing and watch a ton of videos.. take notes. draw blueprints.. google it and read read read read read.. hope this helps. peace

frozencalifornian said:
I am setting up a micro grow box and am going to use two cfls. 45 or 65 watt. I was wondering because it is a micro grow is it ok to use the same bulbs throughout the whole grow? If i did is it best to get 6500 or 2700?

Why not just buy Some of both. 6500k good for veg and 2700 kelvin good for flower. CFls are relatively cheap so you might as well have the right light spectrum.

Whats the area you growing in? or do you know how many you need already?
Do you have some ventilation sorted out as High wattage CFLs like that will get pretty warm.

it is about 24"high 16" wide 22" long. I am thinking of just two bulbs for the whole time. I can switch them, with that space will one 65 watt (325w eq) work? or should i get an 85 watt (425w). I have intake and out take fans for vent.

Well if my maths is correct then you have about 2.5 square foot of floor space so you need 12,500 lumens, shoot for 13.000 to be safe for flowering.

Do these bulbs state how many lumens they put out each? Make sure these are actually 65w or 85w and its not the equivalent

frozencalifornian said:
it is about 24"high 16" wide 22" long. I am thinking of just two bulbs for the whole time. I can switch them, with that space will one 65 watt (325w eq) work? or should i get an 85 watt (425w). I have intake and out take fans for vent.

No, one 65W is not going to be nearly enough. Just so you know, equivalent wattage really doesn't mean anything for growing purposes, so I will be talking about actual wattage. A 65W CFL puts out about 3400 lumens. For your space you would need 3-4 of the 65W to be adequately lit for flowering. I see some problems with your limited height. The bulbs are going to take up several inches of your height, the pots some more. What are you planning on growing and how are you going to keep them short enough?

I was going to do some LST on the plants. So a 65w cfl puts out 3,400 lumens, would a couple of them work? or should I do like 4 45w? I have limited space and stealth is the big issue, hence the micro grow.

Better have some real good ventalation in that small of grow space. When you change over to the 2700K,,the temps are gonna rise cause the bulb puts out alot more heat then the 6500K.

Latest posts

Back