cfl vs sodiums

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epicstuff

Reaction score
Hi , my first dilemma.

I've alway been a big fan of HPS's as thats what I've always used.
but now I'm growing in tropical latitude the weather is hotter and more humid for that reason I decided against Hydroponics which I always did before . thinking running water will make more humid conditions.

money and the fact my grow room isnt a sealed unit means I won't be using aircon or any kind of climate control I'll be relying on old fashioned air circulation.
but here my question . I went to buy a sodium today . It meant I had to get fglood light system and a big extractor fan to take away the heat.
so I started to price up CFLs.
Warm white give out a color temp of 2700K seems about right.

I could have 15 x 25W cfls for around the same price that would kick out more than 23,000 Lm and much closer to the plants. + produce less overall heat. which will help the humidity issues.
according to the box a cfl will produce 5X that of conventional bulb ( I don't know if a sodium buld is concidered conventional or not) but at 25 w thats eq of 125W x 15 = equivalant of 1875 w which is more than the 400w I was going to buy.

Has anyone got any feed back on this I'm just paranoid about using anything other than sodiums.

Ok I read that other thread, I think pretty conclusive. So back to sodiums again, no problem.

BUT...... what about SOG; i planned, after I get enough cuttings to go sea of Green . I thought that was recomended to use tubes or CFL's.

Is the advise the same .... don't do it? Can't really fit a 400w sodium under a shelf and get a nice even spread , shelf is 2 m 0.5M
I thought SOG was supposed to give better overall yeild for the space. Any thoughts on that?

SOG works the best under HPS. you have more light(lumen) getting to the plant with enought power to greach the bottom of the plants also

ok. give up on all this alternative light idea ,,

last thing on the lights isue then...
I was worried coz the only light fitting I can find is the all inclusive flood light . Ballast on the side of the light, cant find the traditional shade for growing even if I made the fittings up myself. Is there any draw backs?
Should I remove the glass.? it has quiet a steep angled dimpled reflector at the back not really the norm for growing . The design is for football pitches or something similar; but will it do.? or is there going to be a design issue with that fitting?

Oh yer,,,,, about the SOG / shelf growing; can I side light instead of from above?

I would say that unless you can get some kind of ventilation system set up, it is a moot question. You are not going to be able to grow without some kind of ventilation set-up. Good old fashioned air circulation is not going to work, especially in a hot humid climate. In addition, you are absolutely going to need a "sealed unit" (something 100% light-tight) when you flower.

You are going to get your best yield from a HPS. When talking about lighting, watts are immaterial (equivalent wattage doesn't count at all in growing). When figuring lighting needs, we use lumens. You need a minimum of 3000 lumens per sq ft for vegging and 5000 lumens for flowering. These are minimums and most of us have more. So, how large is your space? A 400W HPS is good for a space a little under a sq meter. Fifteen 25W CFLs will cover a space 4-5 sq ft--a little under a half meter square.

IMO, there is really no growing method that will make a big difference in yield. I personally like to grow fewer larger plants rather than many small ones.

Latest posts

Back