CFL's & Flowering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Hemp Goddess said:
Sorry, but I know that I am correct. I am guessing that you are talking equivalent wattage on the CFLs, which is immaterial for growing. CFLs put out less light (lumens) per watt than a HPS. And 400w (actual watts) of CFL and 400W of HPS will cost the same to run--400 watts is 400 watts, regardless of what is consuming the power. However, the 400W of HPS will put out almost twice as much light as the CFLs and the HPS will run cooler. This is fact and is really not disputable.

^^^^
Amen.........lol

No matter if it is a coffee maker or a cd player or a cfl... if it uses 400 watts of power it uses 400 watts of power....the question is how much bang (lumens) you get for your buck. It is consumption period.

im not in dispute.... my cus hps room cost more to run than his veg thats cfl iv seen so on his meter///is this energy saveing cfl? use guys/girls speak of?? they let off lil heat

jesuse said:
im not in dispute.... my cus hps room cost more to run than his veg thats cfl iv seen so on his meter///is this energy saveing cfl? use guys/girls speak of?? they let off lil heat

While each cfl in and of itself might not feel real hot if you combined the heat from all the cfl's you wld need to equal an HPS light you wld find the cfl's run hotter and do cost more to run then an equivalent amount of lumens from an HPS. It is pretty much just a basic math problem.

Hamster Lewis said:
While each cfl in and of itself might not feel real hot if you combined the heat from all the cfl's you wld need to equal an HPS light you wld find the cfl's run hotter and do cost more to run then an equivalent amount of lumens from an HPS. It is pretty much just a basic math problem.

the math..;)
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showpost.php?p=665842&postcount=13
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showpost.php?p=666013&postcount=24
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showpost.php?p=666521&postcount=28

jesuse said:

If his HPS costs more to run than your CFLs, then you are not running the same amount of watts. All CFLs are called "energy saving bulbs", but this has nothing to do with growing. Lumen for lumen, CFLs put out less light and more heat than a HPS. There is simply no way around this fact.

WOW didnt mean to start that haha u where right Hamster hahaha thanks for all the feed back i may look into hps later on this is my first indoor just havin fun i will post pics of my end result n we can judge that i guess... i would like more Bang for my buck followed with big budds but we'll see thatnks everyone

lets just say i wanted to get a hps setup for a 2.5x2x5 space
1. do i need to wire it right into anything or can it be just a plug and go
2. I have alot of air flow now keeps my cfls cool would i need more

You'll have no issues, plugs right in! Not sure on air circ, depends on a few variables?? Same amount of cfl's (wattage) and are you keeping the cfl's?

didnt think i would need to keep them after puttin in one of those lights..
when u guys say watts do ya mean equivalent wattage like how cfls say 48watts equal to 300 or whatever or are you guys talkin the actual watt of the buld being 48 watts? because if it is i would need one hell of a shipment of cfls lol

We mean real wattage. Equivalent wattage has no meaning for growing purposes--48 watts is 48 watts, not 300. But the wattage isn't what really counts either. What counts is the lumens that the bulb puts out and the spectrum of the light.

All HPS lights need a ballast. You cannot simply buy a bulb and put it into a socket and plug it into the wall. However, most systems come so that you do not have to do any wiring. Some of the smaller wattages come with an enclosed ballast, others with a remote ballast.

A 250W HPS would give you over 5000 lumens per sq ft.

Lumens for growing purposes.
Watts for power consumed.
Lumens per watt tells you how efficient the light is. The more lumens per watt the better.

Equivalent watts mean nothing for growing.

so something with 4200 lumens is good and to have 4 to 6 would work well then?
Because the way im lookin at this with me havin a 4 sf area with one plant that takes up just over 1 sf with well over 5000 lumens with all the lights i have together.

MrBobMarleyJr said:
so something with 4200 lumens is good and to have 4 to 6 would work well then?
Because the way im lookin at this with me havin a 4 sf area with one plant that takes up just over 1 sf with well over 5000 lumens with all the lights i have together.

Yes, 6 x 4200 is a good amount of lumes for your space.... now a 250 watt HPS would give you 29,000 lumens, and your CFL setup runs 360 watts.

See the whole picture now?

What is the spectrum of the bulbs? This is important too. You are not going to want to use the same spectrum of bulb for vegging as you do for flowering.

i installed 6, 65w equal to 300 watts at 4100k with 4200 lumens
6x4200= 25,200
also have 4, 45 watt equal to 200 watts at 2400k with 2250 lumens
4x2250= 9000
25,200+9000= 34,200 lumens should be good for one plant

Now when you say spectrum Goddess what do you mean?

MrBobMarleyJr said:
i installed 6, 65w equal to 300 watts at 4100k with 4200 lumens
6x4200= 25,200
also have 4, 45 watt equal to 200 watts at 2400k with 2250 lumens
4x2250= 9000
25,200+9000= 34,200 lumens should be good for one plant

Now when you say spectrum Goddess what do you mean?

So now your drawing 570 amps for 34,200 lumens, Just 30 amps short of a 600 watt HPS that puts out 90,000 lumens.

Spectrum refers to the 4100k and 2400k ratings on your bulbs.

You want the around the 2100k range for flowering.

The Hemp Goddess said:
If his HPS costs more to run than your CFLs, then you are not running the same amount of watts. All CFLs are called "energy saving bulbs", but this has nothing to do with growing. Lumen for lumen, CFLs put out less light and more heat than a HPS. There is simply no way around this fact.
im with you in that they kick out more lumen...but not with the heat,,,,,id very much prefer to go hps as iv did grows with my bro and got vgood results[autos as fat as my legs]....but once i got a 400watt hps and swoped with my cfl set up and my temps wher so high over 100,,, with my cfl set up they alwas sat at 70 ish and was only 150watt less ,,,,and my wife was moneing bout elecy cost,,,, so i got rid[did i blunder??] im not trieing to enter in to an argurment hear,,,,but are yous peeps sure 400watts hps cost same as 400watts cfl to run?? honistly?? if so i need to get myself hps and stop messing with cfl!! peace[j]:eek:

i would agree with jesus... i haven't bin doin this long just 2 months but my power bill come every 2 months and i just got in my power bill and the increase was 11 dollars since i started just to buy a nice hps set up would set me back another 200 or so..... just to start would be the killer if i let it go a crop or two porb make my money back but right now im enjoyin my cfl's
JMO

Latest posts

Back