Check my math please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cadlakmike1

Reaction score
There are 7.48 gallons in one cubic foot.

I want to add 1 ounce of lime per cubic foot.

I have about 4.5 gallons of dirt.

So I want to add about 0.6 ounces per container, correct?

According to my online source there is 6.428 gallons in a cubic foot.
Using those numbers I came up with 0.7 ounces.
0.6 or 0.7 will work:) not much difference.

Like you said not much difference, I think it will work 0.6 or 0.7.

1/2 ounce is 1 tablespoon, so I was going to do just over a half a teaspoon, who knows how close it will actually be to either of those measurements.

I came up with 1 cubic foot = 7.48051948 US gallons

Funny how something that should be 100% scientific and we both came up with different numbers.

Thanks again for the quick response.

pcduck said:
According to my online source there is 6.428 gallons in a cubic foot.
Using those numbers I came up with 0.7 ounces.
0.6 or 0.7 will work:) not much difference.

That source is incorrect. There are 7.48 gal in a cu ft.

cadlakmike1 said:
Like you said not much difference, I think it will work 0.6 or 0.7.

1/2 ounce is 1 tablespoon, so I was going to do just over a half a teaspoon, who knows how close it will actually be to either of those measurements.

Funny how something that should be 100% scientific and we both came up with different numbers.

Also, 1/2 oz per tablespoon is a fluid measurement. A 1/2 oz of lime may or may not be 1 tablespoon.

cadlakmike1 said:

Just a FYI your numbers are totally correct for a liquid gallons:aok:
The numbers I posted were for a dry gallon.
That is why there was a difference:)

pcduck said:
Just a FYI your numbers are totally correct for a liquid gallons:aok:
The numbers I posted were for a dry gallon.
That is why there was a difference:)

Thanks, I did not know that. In my work, I only convert liquid measurements to gal and cu ft. However, since he is dealing with soil, I believe that he should use your measurements.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Thanks, I did not know that. In my work, I only convert liquid measurements to gal and cu ft. However, since he is dealing with soil, I believe that he should use your measurements.

Me too ^ ^ ^ ....I was just going by the web site and they had a separate liquid and dry(solid) sections for conversions.

Dude,

Its LIME.
Couple handfulls and your set.

When we would redo the greenhouse beds on the farm, we would just spread it by hand.

I use about (if I were to measure it) a shotglass full, or 3.5 tbsp per 3 gal pot of soil.

...IF I were to measure it.

Reddy Kilowatt said:
Don't you need to find out what the soils ph is before you do any math to adjust to the correct ph what you are growing in the soil?

I just guess.....seems to work.

No need. Lime will balance the PH no matter what it is.

Tanks for all the responses. Effen got it right, Lime is a buffer, it will always bring the Ph back to neutral, 7.0, regardless of what the starting PH is, and whether it needs raised or lowered.

I had a tough time finding info on this so I appreciate those that responded, most of the info that I found on the internet was in reference to fruit orchards and did not address the closet cultivator. I'm glad everyone was able to simplify this for me.

can a plant grow in ph7 or will that be enough to lock it out?

Once you get the PH of the soil to 7 you can then water and feed with a lower PH. 7 is a bit high but still much better then where PH can get to without any buffer. 6.5 is what I'm shooting for but between 6.3-6.8 won't lock out plants in soil. Hydro requires much lower PH.

:watchplant: :farm: To high tech. Man has grown for millions of years by the handfull.
Dig the soil by hand
Inrich the soil by hand
Plant in the soil by hand
Cultivate the soil by hand
Harvest from the soil by hand
Hand to mouth to truely joy.

:48: :tokie: :48:

:headbang2: :bong1:

No offence but man has not grown pot in a closet "by hand" for millions of years.

My advanced nutrients PH down is so concentrated it has to be diluted in a gallon of water before it can even be used. 2 or 3 drops will drop the PH by 2 or 3 points, if not more, from 7.0 to below 5.0. Also I use nutes during flower as high as 0-50-30, measurements are definitely necessary.

I guess I just didn't realize how forgiving lime was. Thank you again for all the responses.

The more manmade chemicals you use the harder plant are to maintain. If you are using a manmade nutes system you must use the complete system or most likely you will have problems. Soil is the most forgiving medium to grow in, as long as you do not made it harder. You will always be happy with your ladies.

Why does nobody" thanks" anyone anymore?

Latest posts

Back