Check your oven temperature for decarb!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caw

Reaction score
So I bought a toaster over broiler to put in my detached garage to decarb in. So far I've decarbed a out an ounce of flower and 10+ grams of rosin. I knew the Wallyworld device would probably be a bit off so I would set the temp a few degrees lower than whatever was called for. But, my tinctures/oils were still tasting a bit burnt. So, I ordered an oven thermometer to see just how far off it was. I put the thermometer in and set the toaster to 250. I waited 10 minutes or so and went to check. IT WAS AT 350! 100 degrees off! No wonder this tincture is having me sleep so well...

The closest I could get to 240 is by leaving it right around 150ish (the pic shows closer to 200, but that was after opening the door for pics).

I decarbed 5.1 grams of rosin and made some more gummies. NOT bears, but instead, I used silicone ice cube trays. It made 31 of them. So, if the rosin was about 60%, each gummie should be close to 85 grams, give or take. I guess I could've used the small gummie bear molds afterall...

I finally found the Jolly Rancher jello at Walmart. I'm excited to try one once they harden up.

Again, the recipient I followed:

1. Put 6 packets of unflavored gelatin in 3/4 cup of cold water and stired until just mixed.

2. Heat 1 cup of water in a pot. Once it's about to start boiling, add the flavored jello and stir (I used a hand wand mixer).

3. Turn the heat to low/warm.

4. I them added the unflavored gelatin, 1 tablespoon of lecithin, and the decarbed rosin and mixed with the hand wand.

5. Pour into your molds. Note: some people spray their molds to assure nothing sticks. My molds do not have an issue so I dont worry a out it. But, if you spray, be sure to wipe off the excess off the tops of the mold(s) so it doesn't get all over your hands.

6. For sour gummies, once hard, you can dip them in a mixture of citric acid and sugar - 1/4 cup of sugar to a tablespoon of citric acid (depending on how sour you want them).

7. It's also recommended to leave them out overnight to help dry them out a bit. Or, you can use a LITTLE bit of corn starch and coat them.

I'll let you know how they turn out...

Attachments

• 20200512_205623.jpg
    20200512_205623.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200512_205632.jpg
    20200512_205632.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 8
I’ve been decarbing in an instant pot inside a quart jar...it’s pretty well regulated...under high pressure the temp is 239*...and it has a handy timer as well...it also contains the odor at least until you open the jar but you could do that in the garage if needed...and it make a he|| of a pot roast...

Reactions: Caw
I’ve been decarbing in an instant pot inside a quart jar...it’s pretty well regulated...under high pressure the temp is 239*...and it has a handy timer as well...
So does the instant pot and jar control odors?

I just inherited a decent slow cooker. I was thinking of trying hot baths in, or to make butter. I can't find my IR thermometer though. I REALLY need to clean my garage...right after I fix the leaking roof! I absolutely love the charm of a 100+ yr old house, but it has its challenges.

I'm assuming "instant pot" is a pressure cooker?

The jar contains it pretty well but of course you have to open the jar at some point...you’ll get very little smell while it’s processing...I usually decarb at 239* for about 55 minutes...then depending on what I’m doing with the weed, usually some butter or a coconut oil for gummies...I’ll grind the weed next and add whatever oil back in the jar...my instant pot has a slow cook setting and that will hold the temp at about 188*...I put the lid on but leave the pressure vent open and run it for a couple or three hours before straining...

I always check oven temps against a thermometer. I don't think I have ever had an oven that was truly accurate. However, I can say that I never had one that was 100 degrees off.

I love making gummies--probably my favorite edible. The Jolly Rancher jello makes for some great sour gummies--just be sure not to use too much citric acid as they can easily get too sour to eat. My favorite though is probably cinnamon bears.

I am going to have to try using the instant pot now to decarb.

I use jolly rancher too, more intense flavor...haven’t tried sours yet

I’ve been decarbing in an instant pot inside a quart jar...it’s pretty well regulated...under high pressure the temp is 239*...and it has a handy timer as well...it also contains the odor at least until you open the jar but you could do that in the garage if needed...and it make a he|| of a pot roast...
Give directions on settings and times please . I would love to try this method. I decarb in the oven and no one complains, but if I can keep the smell down I would. Some of my strains are very skunky.

Give directions on settings and times please . I would love to try this method. I decarb in the oven and no one complains, but if I can keep the smell down I would. Some of my strains are very skunky.
This post is 3 years old, I am not sure that any of the original posters are even still on here.

I miss Hemp Goddess but the rest were fking assholes. As you can see Caw was banned. The other one never came back, otherwise he also would have been banned.

Instant Pot is the only way to decarb IMHO. Put the weed in a mason jar with lid and pressure cook for 50 mins. Done and no smells.

You can also use the IP to infuse butter, coconut oil, etc.

Instant Pot is the only way to decarb IMHO. Put the weed in a mason jar with lid and pressure cook for 50 mins. Done and no smells.

You can also use the IP to infuse butter, coconut oil, etc.
I would like some info on that. I hate making the house smell like a weed factory. No one complains. I have the biggest one I could find because we cook for like 10 people. We basically use it as a rice maker. May use it 1-2 times a month. How do you infuse the coconut oil. When you decarb do you use whole bud or or ground bud?

I would like some info on that. I hate making the house smell like a weed factory. No one complains. I have the biggest one I could find because we cook for like 10 people. We basically use it as a rice maker. May use it 1-2 times a month. How do you infuse the coconut oil. When you decarb do you use whole bud or or ground bud?
I used this video as a guide

Latest posts

Back