Chiller

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevetberry

Reaction score
Does anyone use a chiller with there hydro system. I am having trouble keeping my resevoir temps down and I have ordered one and it will be here tomorrow. Does anyone have any advise about installing? I have a Waterfarm from GH and plan on installing it in my controller.

do you have a link to the chiller that you purchased?

It is a ActiveAQUA 1/10th HP chiller. The way that I have it figured I will put the pump in the controller and it will pump the nute solution to the chiller and then return it to the same controller. My main concern is that the controller only has a little over 5" of nute solution and the pump will cavitate. If I do not get cavitation everything should be OK. I thought that I would put the return line from the chiller a little above the water line so that it would put more oxygen in the nute solution. Any advise is greatly appreciated. The reason for the chiller is that I am getting some snot like substance growing in the nute solution. My nute solution temps get as high as 79F. I have tried changing my nute solution and even tried H2O2 but I still keep getting the snot like substance.

That seems like it is a nice chiller rated for a 13 gallon rez.

Yeah you do not want any cavitation, maybe a inline pump would be better for such a small rez would give more room for nute solution. or use frozen water bottles

I thought about the frozen water bottles but the resevoir sets on top of the controller and that just about makes it impossible to swap out the frozen bottles in the controller. I hope that this works because this is the last piece of my puzzle (I hope) and then I will be dialed in. It has only taken me 3 years, LOL.

You can get a Speed Controller to slow down the pump if it rocks too hard. That way you can dial it so you have a nice flow thru your chiller and back into your system.

I did not know that you could use a speed controller on a pump, thanks for that info.

either did I. Thanks for asking the question and thanks NCH for the info:)

Unless you have modified your waterfarms to recirculate A chiller is not going to work.
The Rez is just a make up tank, keeping each waterfarm full as it uses it.
There is no real flow between the rez, controller or each waterfarm.

Basicly what im trying to say is each waterfarm has its own rez.

Also you dont use a water pump so you cant slow anything down to help.

Drip systems like this are very forgiving for rez temps because O2 is supplied to your roots at all times.

I have modified my Waterfarm 8 pack to a 12 pack and have a pumping column that recirculates it very slowly. If I thought that it would work I would use an inline pump after the last Waterfarm then to the chiller then back to the controller. I do not think that I could get the flow right, especially when they get late in flower and the roots get everywhere.

Latest posts

Back