Choosing strains

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to yall for the info, much appreciated. I started surfing for info on seeds and seedbanks that would do well here. Got a headache and more friggin strain names than i could ever imagine. A lot of the "canadian" seedbanks ended up being overseas. I did manage to bookmark a couple for possible orders. Another grower here has offered to give me as many clones as i want, no charge. So im kinda thinking that over too.

Clones can have bugs and molds and require a different set of skills to deal with.

So much depends on what you like to smoke. If you grow indoors weather outside means nothing

I'll be growing outside. We're allowed to grow 4 per household. I absolutely will not have another 2-3 dozen back in the woods. Nooooooo. Not me.:rolleyes:

Clones can have bugs and molds and require a different set of skills to deal with.

Yes i've read about those problems and issues with bringing plants in from away. Thats why i didnt jump on the offer. However, he's a helluva good guy.....

Everything I got is descended from seed that come to me thru MP and the OFC-- After the 1st time I chucked some pollen I kinda went my own way -- Umbra kinda guided me with technique --I just did like I do and went buck crazy -- I've used about 5 males -- I line up a dozen midget girls and pollenate them all --All for 1 or 2 plants from each breeding -- Somebody got to smoke lots of weed to work that out -- Sure there are many more varieties I want but I kinda got my hands full for awhile just finding out what I got -- Growing those midgets worked well for breeding -- One day they quit hunting us in Texas -- Then I come up out the belly of the beast driving a team of fire snorting monsters born and bred in Texas under the yoke of prohibition -- I bide my time !-- 1 maybe 2 generations I be where I want -- They blow the whistle now I can hold my own-- I just wanted to present another option to buying commercial seed - Warning !-- Breeding is addictive !

Keef the fella offering me the clones is a breeder. He has become obsesed with it. I can see how it could consume the soul but i doubt i could keep all that stuff straight. I wanna know the ABCs

It's not so hard Blue -- Tags /labels !-- Every plant get an ID tag that stays with it until harvest -- No guessing ! -- When I come to realize big plants limited my selection I concentrated on growing midgets -- Normal plants but I would flip a 1 foot tall plant to bloom regularly -- I could get maybe 6 in a box and 2 boxes equals a square meter -- So I could get 12 different varieties in one harvest sometimes or all of one -- Bloom might be the money shot but the grow depends on veg !
The ABCs of growing outside ? -- Start with good soil -- Gloman uses composted forest products - Dig a hole -- Big wide hole fill it up with compost -- Move your plants to the prepared spot after danger of last frost -- Bigger they are to start with bigger they get before fall --Most sex and /or start plants inside but U got access to clone's which save U time -- You'll need to learn about pest controlled especially outside --
There's thrips -- The Borg (the dreaded spidermite)- and stuff I haven't met yet --and all sorts of creatures that like pot too !-- Deer will leave U a stump !

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes these dwarf plants are something i ran across while checking out seeds and banks and such. Interesting. The apple orchardists around here have begun turning old established orchards over to dwarf varities. Higher yields and less space/care. Kinda makes sense.

There's a lot more to growing but U start by getting started -- U learn thru mistakes --More U grow the more U learn that there's more U don't know than U know --but there's a mess of people round here that will point U in the right direction--
I wasn't running real dwarf plants just regular plants flipped to bloom small !--

I guess if i can keep " 4 " plants alive and harvest a bit of a crop I'll call it a success and go and grow from there.
I surely do appreciate all the great advice and ideas from yall.

So how do I find out who is breeding for concentrates?

Most seed websites have a category for seeds that produce good concentrate. Ill search through them for a while and after I find a couple of seeds that peak my interest I'll dig around the breeders website to see what they say about their goals for breeding. Most will talk about why they are trying for one thing or another. Moxie is an example of a breeder who breeds with high resin and flavors in mind. However I have had hit or miss with their seeds. The Golden Cobra I have is by far the greatest strain I've grown. The high is super strong and puts a smile on everyone's face. And then there is the smell, super pungent fruit salad. But some Goji Cobra seeds I got from them failed 11 out of 12 soo..... there is that.

Last edited:
Moxie didn't create Goji, Bodhi did. Every goji bean I've popped germinated

Bodhi gives stuff away to people all the time, but the seedbank route is the most reliable

Moxie didn't create Goji, Bodhi did. Every goji bean I've popped germinated

They were Goji Cobra from Moxie that didnt pop.
Like you all of the Bodhi seeds Ive dealt with have popped no problem.

Being in nova scotia im looking for strains suited to cooler and shorter seasons i guess. I only know a few growers here and most wont say what they grow. I've learned that w widow, cotton candy and sour d are grown but thats all i can find out so far.
Any suggestions are appreciated ;)
Welcome! If you wanna do an outside grow, I would say get somthing crossed to ruderalis. They will probably not get very big and will probably also be an auto flowering plant, but ruderalis evolved in Siberia I believe. it should do great in your short grow season. I was impressed with the lowrider grow journal I saw somewhere. Good THC levels and the guy got a pretty sweet yield. I'm thinking about trying that strain within a few grows.
If your doing an indoor grow you can choose virtually anything you want, just be sure to pick a strain that won't outgrow your tent or grow room. Good luck man!

Indicas are your shortest flowering times. They are the shorter of the two. Sativas take a while to finish, but Chocolope will finish in 9 weeks, I t is a good sativa.
Chocolope will be in my next grow for sure! Tried it once and it was quite tasty. I recently discovered it is a high yeild strain too. How could I go wrong? Lol

Thanks for the tips, really appreciate it. Our growing season here is normally mid/late may to mid/late october. I know sour diesel does well here ( for an experienced grower) as does White Widow and Candy Cane. Those are the only ones i've been told about by local growers. I'm still searching and welcome ideas and advice.

Latest posts

Back