City Reimburses Woman For Ruined Pot Crop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
Target 7 has learned that the city paid a local woman thousands of dollars for her medical marijuana after police officers ruined her crop.

Medical marijuana user Toni Armijo is smoking mad after police came to her house in August 2010. She was feeling suicidal, so someone called Albuquerque police to check on her.

When police arrived, Armijo wasn't inside the home, but her pot crop was.

"(Officers) went on in, and that's standard operating procedure," city Risk Manager Peter Ennen said. "They noticed several marijuana plants growing under a grow light."

When Armijo returned home, the plants were gone.

"Everything was gone. There was dirt strewn here, all the way across my kitchen," Armijo said. "It was complete destruction."

Documents show that police couldn't immediately verify Armijo's medical marijuana status, so officers unpotted her pot.

A few hours later, Armijo called, verified her license and demanded they return the plants. Authorities brought the plants back in a paper bag, but they were destroyed.

Ennen said that taxpayers shelled out $3,100 to Armijo.

While Armijo said the payment helps, she still has concerns because she believes police didn't have the right to come into her home and take her medical marijuana.

"Even though I'm not a lawyer, I feel like they trampled all over my rights," Armijo said.

Police admit that they didn't have a warrant, but Target 7 research shows they might not have needed one. The Plain View Doctrine states that officers might have the right to confiscate something concerning if it is in plain sight of police.

While Armijo is miffed, Ennen said he didn't see anything unusual when reviewing the case except for its subject matter.

"It's something out of the ordinary that it's a claim for medical marijuana plants," Ennen said.

Armijo is exploring legal action against the city.

"You can't just go into somebody's home, and destroy their property, and come back and say, 'Oops, my bad,'" Armijo said.

Armijo said she's waited to speak about this issue because she feared retaliation and doesn't want this to happen to any other medical marijuana users.

hxxp://tinyurl.com/7cmc2r2

This is so true. But it happens in our day to day life. People even dont think twice to destroy others properties.

Latest posts

Back