clone vs, seed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tryguy2011

Reaction score
many say that starting from seed is quicker than cloning, so im having trouble finding reasons to start clones.

Running from clone is quicker then starting from seed. You just have to spend the time getting a mother plant to clone and the space to keep her. Once that is done running from clone is a snap...take your cuts, 8-10 days to root...veg them for as long as you like or do a quick veg and flip...your choice. If you can get a good strain that finishes in 7 weeks you are set. You can flip crops a Cpl times a year and still take the summers off.

I have a hard time making myself pop beans now....I tend to want to run everything from clone.

With a clone you know what sex, phenotype, how much heat and nutes they can take. I'd rather have a clone from a strong mother plant than roll the dice with a seed. That's just my opinion though. I really don't think growing from a seed is faster either.

No more seeds for me!! I got some good train wreck had a cple seeds so I assumed the seeds would produce good weed too, out of 4, 3 where male and when I finally got a female and took her 8 weeks into flower and just covered in CRAP bud with NO trichs @ 8 weeks!!. If you get a clone from a club you know what you are getting and they are faster too.

Hamster Lewis said:
Running from clone is quicker then starting from seed. You just have to spend the time getting a mother plant to clone and the space to keep her. Once that is done running from clone is a snap...take your cuts, 8-10 days to root...veg them for as long as you like or do a quick veg and flip...your choice. If you can get a good strain that finishes in 7 weeks you are set. You can flip crops a Cpl times a year and still take the summers off.

I have a hard time making myself pop beans now....I tend to want to run everything from clone.

No need for taking cuttings or keeping a mother on the left coast. I just run down to the clone depot, pick a few choice cuts, pot them, and flower them.

So about 10-11 weeks start to finish with most strains. I have yet to find a 7 week strain though, I usually plan on 10 weeks flowering so I'm not rushed.

Or you could cut from the plant you're taking to bud....no mother needed!

Thats how I roll Roddy, between 2 weeks & 10 days before flower, clones taken. If they dont take, I have time to take more. If its male, kill them (though thats a heartbreaker).
I have a really good NL thats a fast grower and produces some really nice bud, the other seeds were not as good, thankfully I had cuttings so the good pheno is kept.
Stay frosty dudes. W

BudLover#69 said:
No more seeds for me!! I got some good train wreck had a cple seeds so I assumed the seeds would produce good weed too, out of 4, 3 where male and when I finally got a female and took her 8 weeks into flower and just covered in CRAP bud with NO trichs @ 8 weeks!!. If you get a clone from a club you know what you are getting and they are faster too.

Part of the problem with bagseed is that you do not know the source of the pollen--it can be pollen from ditchweed or it could have selfed.

I personally have not found clones to take longer than seeds and with clones you know what you are getting.

Just be careful with dispensary clones I hear a lot of horror stories about spider mites from dispensary clones. I have been growing the same strain for over two years now, I just keep cloning and going!

I much prefer seed - faster than clones. I simply plant twice as many. Besides, seeds allow experimentation, the more interesting side of growing.

If I cut a clone and germ a seed on the same day 3 weeks later the seed will be ahead in growth, but the difference is the clone will be ready to flower much sooner than the seed.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Part of the problem with bagseed is that you do not know the source of the pollen--it can be pollen from ditchweed or it could have selfed.

I personally have not found clones to take longer than seeds and with clones you know what you are getting.

Ya your so right! ditchweed-lol, that is what it ended up being and I flower under two 600s and 400 hps lights! :cool: what a drag, Never Again now I wont even bye seeds of a known strain- nope! I'll let you pros do that, and make us some good clones! lol. I got lucky a couple years ago when I first bought clones to get started with, Sour-D, Snowcap and Granddaddy P. The three seem to be a nice combo of Sativa and Indica. I've been just taking cuttings from the bottoms the day I put them in my flower room. Im a newer grower too but been working great for two years now with just those three strains. I think I will just keep it that way from now on, but I keep wanting to add something different! But not from seed ever again! lol

leafminer said:
I much prefer seed - faster than clones. I simply plant twice as many. Besides, seeds allow experimentation, the more interesting side of growing.

Have Fun! Your the kinda person I was talking about, Thanks! Can I get some good clones off your best creation?? lol;)

Clones allow me to crop out almost as quick as autos with the big difference beIng in quality and potency....

You figure two week quick veg on a 7 week flower strain and you can crop out at 63 days total which is right around auto territory. And let's see some other pluses...

1 We know it is female and we didn't have to pay extra for fem beans.
2 We can take quite a few cuttings and easily do a SOG.
3 We can extend the veg period to our liking unlike autos...want bigger yields? Veg longer....try that with an auto.

Jmo

In my veg room just now, I have 31 plants growing, 22 of them are clones, mostly from seeds I grew. I like growing from both seed and clones and I see it as part of my growing education to be able to grow seeds in soil and hydro.
I love seeing that fresh taproot on a seed, I also love seeing that first root poking out of a rockwool cube from a clone. I dont care if a clone may be a little slower than a seed, there are benefits from both methods and for me a good grower will have skills and experience of a whole variety of methods, be it seeds or cuttings or soil or hydro. The end result is a bong/pipe/vape/J of fine weed without paying some scumbag dealer for the priveledge. If its home grown, much respect for the grower, however it was grown.
W

Latest posts

Back