Clones advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SubmarineGirl

Reaction score
Second try at cloning. Tried to use a tiny fish tank on first try thinking it would be perfect like a steamy little glass box. It seemed to work for a few days until the clones started burning from the heat of the bulb. (I’m no expert on bulbs but figured out quick it was to hot for the task) They had begun to root tho when I pulled one out of its little peat pod after about 10 days…. Getting my plants ready to flower, I took some new clones for a second try. This time I invested in a small propagation tray with a clear dome lid and light. I chose to use fresh aloe first as I had it on hand and after reading that it works in place of the root starter gel packet I bought from a local grow store on my last try. I hope this wasn’t a mistake. I treated the “holding water” with the fresh aloe as well and let them sit for 24 hours PH 6.5 before I set them in peat pods with more aloe as I read on the instructions of cloning with aloe page. Don’t really know if the clones look normal as I haven’t anything to compare them to except my fish tank experiment which I believe now would have worked out with a different light. I didn’t have a heat mat nor did I spend the extra money for one in my new setup but maybe someone can tell me if it would be worth it. The plastic cover shows signs of good humidity building up a little sweat. The temp inside the little glass house is only 71 degrees F as the inside my house which is usually maintained at 68-70 degrees F during the winter. The humidity is at 92% inside the little house. The clones seem to be very happy and no damage to anything green yet. It’s only been a few days tho. So, do my clones look normal? Any thoughts on the aloe thing or if investing in a heating pad would be worth it? I really don’t want to lose these girls…. Also, does Size matter on clones? These are a bit larger than the first try but still not as large as I’ve seen online but I thought since I did see root growth from the even smaller ones I used on my first try after 10 days these would have similar results. Thanks in advance for any suggestions 😊

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 15
The rapid rooters look like the jam. I will try those for sure on my next clone try
They help, keep them slightly moist and roots will grow right out of them when ready to transplant , \
Leave the rooter attached do not remove (damage the new roots)
They Roots will grow right through them and into the new median you plant them in.

Cloning is really a simple process. Not much equipment is needed and really very little maintenance. I use a clone dome, heat mat, t5 lights and rooting gel. Right now I use clonex

Clean Everything completely before you start, think surgery. Sharp scissors and a razor blade are also needed.

When you take cuts have a bowl with room temperature water ready. Cut them from the middle or top part of the plant. Try not to get one that has a woody stem yet. Now use your razor blade to cut the new clone at an angle. Then dip them in rooting gel for 5 seconds only. Any longer will burn them and they will die. Place them into your rapid rooter or rockwool cube put them in the cloned dome.

In about 10 to 15 days sometimes as long as 20 days you should see roots.

Here is a couple of pictures of my set up.
IMG_20211118_074446200.jpg

IMG_20211118_074455819.jpg
IMG_20211118_074455819.jpg

These have been in 12 days now. If done right you should get about 90% to root. Simple is better. Nothing but r/o water is needed at this time. Don't over think things. The more you mess with them the more that die.

Here is a couple of pictures of my set up.
View attachment 282533

View attachment 282534View attachment 282534

These have been in 12 days now. If done right you should get about 90% to root. Simple is better. Nothing but r/o water is needed at this time. Don't over think things. The more you mess with them the more that die.

what is the temp in your dome. Mine is only 71 F but the humidity now at 99% is there a heat mat under there? Are these inside a warm room?

Second try at cloning. Tried to use a tiny fish tank on first try thinking it would be perfect like a steamy little glass box. It seemed to work for a few days until the clones started burning from the heat of the bulb. (I’m no expert on bulbs but figured out quick it was to hot for the task) They had begun to root tho when I pulled one out of its little peat pod after about 10 days…. Getting my plants ready to flower, I took some new clones for a second try. This time I invested in a small propagation tray with a clear dome lid and light. I chose to use fresh aloe first as I had it on hand and after reading that it works in place of the root starter gel packet I bought from a local grow store on my last try. I hope this wasn’t a mistake. I treated the “holding water” with the fresh aloe as well and let them sit for 24 hours PH 6.5 before I set them in peat pods with more aloe as I read on the instructions of cloning with aloe page. Don’t really know if the clones look normal as I haven’t anything to compare them to except my fish tank experiment which I believe now would have worked out with a different light. I didn’t have a heat mat nor did I spend the extra money for one in my new setup but maybe someone can tell me if it would be worth it. The plastic cover shows signs of good humidity building up a little sweat. The temp inside the little glass house is only 71 degrees F as the inside my house which is usually maintained at 68-70 degrees F during the winter. The humidity is at 92% inside the little house. The clones seem to be very happy and no damage to anything green yet. It’s only been a few days tho. So, do my clones look normal? Any thoughts on the aloe thing or if investing in a heating pad would be worth it? I really don’t want to lose these girls…. Also, does Size matter on clones? These are a bit larger than the first try but still not as large as I’ve seen online but I thought since I did see root growth from the even smaller ones I used on my first try after 10 days these would have similar results. Thanks in advance for any suggestions 😊

SubmarineGirl your clones are looking heathy right now. Happy Growing🌿🌿🌿

what is the temp in your dome. Mine is only 71 F but the humidity now at 99% is there a heat mat under there? Are these inside a warm room?
Thanks. They do Tend to take care of themselves don’t they. I’m hoping that they do well. Still considering a heat mat although mine are in the house and not in an un heated area like yours. Your setup and plants look very similar I think. .I’m thinking the 72 F temp in the dome may be sufficient but may feel guilty about them getting chilly and stalling the rooting process. Thanks so much for the response and sharing your pics

IUOTE="SubmarineGirl, post: 1145449, member: 62464"]
[/QUOTE]
I never check the temp in the dome.....temp at the roots is what I watch. 78 to 80f is best. The temp in my basement is currently 66f so yes a heat mat works for what they need.

Cloning eh? when I 1st started I killed them all with love... lots and lots of love.. spritzing them 3x's a day until
they got all soggy and stemmed over...
Then I met Motarebel and Gymshoes and my cloning problems were over and before I knew it, cloning came so
easy to me, just FOLLOW their directions and stop messing with the damn things.. LOL.

Take a real good look at Putes setup because it's done correctly.... light does NOT need to be right up against
plants, they are not rooted yet and this technique is for rooted plants... 24" above the cuttings...

My method.... go to Wallymart and buy yourself a rotisserie chicken they sell up near the registers all cooked up
and ready to eat... these are the humidity domes I use, after eating the chicken and possibly washing the
container.. hehe.

Rapid rooter plugs, Dip n Grow, chicken domes, bathroom light from that weird window is what I use... lol.

I use oasis cubes straight from my local florist. they are about 5x3x9" I cut it into 1x1x1.5" and put them in seedling trays the ones that resemble egg trays. insulated floor, dome and a bunch of cfl's that i turn on as needed to keep the temps right. I actually had a couple of 100w incandescents to help with the heating when it was very cold. I placed a sort of bucket under them to prevent their light from hitting the clones directly as I felt that it was harming them and I just wanted the heat. I do not use a heat mat. I used to have an automated flood and drain but I felt like handwatering them fresh tap water every time helps oxygenate and clean the rootzone so that's what I ended up doing. My dome stays on until the last one roots. They root in 10-15 days. I rarely ever lose a clone with this method and I don't use any gels or hormones.

Latest posts

Back