Clones and lighting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KP419

Reaction score
I have a 30 spot EZ- Cloner and have had pretty good results but have yet to have the success rate I would like. I use a single CFL (2650 Lumens) about 12 inches above clones. What should a good light cycle be for these? I have always kept light on 24 hours.

yes, constant light is the way to go with clones . . . anything less and the survival rate drops off

maybe its the temperature - I run mine steady at 80f for best results

i use to clone with one of those small torpedo looking fluorescent that produce 10000 lumens until somebody once told me just to use a regular 60 watt cfl that i could connect to a desk lamp, hang it over my clones and the success rate is almost 90-100%. dont really know why it worked but it just does.

yeah clones dont need much light as far as lumens...but atleast 18 hrs of light..I run mine 24/0

Ya I just use a 26 watt 6500K cfl with mine too. 24/0. I thinks its more about keeping the temps and humidity right rather than the light source.

thx for the help everyone. The cfl i use I think is a 26watt, it is the biggest one I could find that will fit into regular socket cost me $8. My water is sometimes a little to warm I thought. My cloner is not in an air conditioned room so Im gonna have to put a new temp strip in there an watch the temp. Is there an easy way to cool the water without using a water chiller?

I have found that I get my best results when I maintain 78-80f air and water with a single T5 bulb that puts out about 5000lumens in the 3000K spectrum suspended about 18" above the plants. I had the light on a timer so that it cut off for 15minutes every 2 hours to allow a cool down (this was more for maintaining the temps, don't know if it had any effect on the clones). I get decent root growth in 7days and transplant in 10days. :)

Latest posts

Back