clones and potency

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep growing you will......been at it for 45 years and it does happen, last time was a strain i had been growing for over 20 years, not grower error, new the strain very well it just played out. at present i have 12 strains different going.
Shit happens I guess. And I've been growing since I was a young man,, and I'm 67. Not saying it can't happen but usually there is a reason and it normally isn't the clones fault.
And I'm not saying your wrong brother I've just never seen it.
I've done clones from clones for yrs and never seen what your talking about. But I guess there is a first time for everything.
I personally have never tried to keep a strain for 20yrs. Hell the only thing I've kept that long that I like is my Wife and that's because I'm afraid she would cut me from ear to ear if I wanted something different.😁
Wait,,I do have a banana plant I have been cloning since 1994,,and last year the fkers were almost 15ft tall. Not weed but it is a plant. And those fkers have been from Texas to Florida to Louisiana and back to Texas. I'm a Federal Contractor and I was following work there for awhile. Me and the Wife love our banana trees. Keeps things looking tropical.
I've got friends who have several of my clones.

Last edited:

Let’s talk epigenetics and the environment​

The field of epigenetics offers valuable insights for understanding how cannabis clones can appear to lose potency. Epigenetics refers to outside stimuli, or modifications, that can turn genes on or off. It’s not that there is an alteration of the genetic code in the clone; rather, environmental factors modify its genetic potential and expression Epigenetic impacts on clone health over time are very significant. Without proper mineral nutrition and biological health, the vigor of a clone will diminish over time as it continually is replicated, thus reducing its viability,” said Russell Pace III, President of the Cannabis Horticultural Association.

Clonal degradation: What causes it?
Clonal degradation, or genetic drift as it is sometimes called (though this term is debatable), is fiercely contested in the world of weed: some maintain it is a myth, while others insist it’s a real phenomenon. Cannabis chat rooms are saturated with arguments over how clonal decay occurs, with some blaming mutation in clones, while others point to cellular degradation when they become “cloned out.”

Let’s unpack genetic drift by briefly revisiting some of the basics of high school bio.

Cloned cuttings can’t change their genetic imprint because a clone is an exact genetic replica of the mother plant. A clone is even the same cellular age as the mother plant—a one-week-old clone taken from a two-month-old mother is actually two months old.

Genetic variation comes from sexual reproduction, i.e., with seeds. While genetic mutations can occur as a result of growth, it doesn’t mean that the gene pool of cannabis clones dramatically changes from generation to generation.

But the same clones subjected to different environments often look and grow differently. An under-fertilized clone in a low-humidity environment will grow with less vigor than its sister receiving perfect fertilization and humidity in a grow room across town. Environment plays a critical role in the growth and health of a cannabis clone

Yes you would need to clone the female if you want a cutting from that Phenotype.
I normally take clones from a vegging phenotype that I like and hope like hell when I flip the plant I took it from is a female unless I'm looking for a male to use to pollinate.
And never waste your time cloning an Auto. It won't be worth your time.

Cloning is what I'm going to do. I'm growing a female so no worries there.

Hopper you grow autos outside, don't you? I'm just wondering how there take the heat.

Yes i have grown Autos outside many times. I love growing outside. This year I will not be growing outside. My Wife ask me to please not grow outside. She is turning 71 on 4-20 and she said she is to old to go to jail. I agree with her and will keep my grows inside from now on and out of site of repairmen and my Gay neighbor who hates my guts. Guess he doesn't like my flags. 😁

A lot of what people consider dudding out is really HLVD presenting itself. This viroid can remain dormant, or be newly introduced if you're bringing new things in. It can also be present in grows from seed and spreads quite rapidly.

I'm in the boat that strains will lose VIGOR after many rounds of cuts are cycled of the original. I am not in the boat that strains will lose their complete characteristics from cycling clones, unless other matters (viroids) are at play.

I highly recommend an HLVD protocol and SOPs of you're sharing clones and taking cuts for yourself.

1. Test for HLVD. www.tumigenomics.com
2. Sterile and new blades when taking cuts off of each mom plant.
3. 10% bleach solution for at least 60 seconds on any sharps that come on contact with multiple plants between use.

A lot of what people consider dudding out is really HLVD presenting itself. This viroid can remain dormant, or be newly introduced if you're bringing new things in. It can also be present in grows from seed and spreads quite rapidly.

I'm in the boat that strains will lose VIGOR after many rounds of cuts are cycled of the original. I am not in the boat that strains will lose their complete characteristics from cycling clones, unless other matters (viroids) are at play.
I used to notice this with mushrooms. After many transfers, they puked out. You had to go all the way back to spores and agar. At least samples from a new fresh head.

Bubba

1677534215625.png

Just read in gmo's site on pathogens, mother's should be replaced every 3 to 4 months. Their reasoning is that with age, the mother is more susceptible to stress, and several types of viruses they list strike then.

I'm just starting to clone, so all this is good info!

Bubba

Also growing from seed will normally get you a stronger more vigorous plant because it has a tap root. A clone does not have a tap root.
Did you know that when you clone from a mother that the clone will be the age of the mother when it's taken. So the older the mother the older the clone.
contrere, I am growing a cloned plant in DWC and that bad boy has multiple tap roots, 1/4" in diameter...I'll try and remember to take a pic of the root system, she's almost filled a 5 gallon bucket with roots...feeder roots are a thick mat...

Latest posts

Back