Clones - Hot or Cold?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Track

Reaction score
So, I'm confused..

I read that in a bubble cloner, the water temperature has to be below ambient, but while cloning in rockwool or root riot cubes, a heat mat is recommended.

I know that water removes heat a lot more quickly than air, so it would make sense if the situation was reversed..

So, do clones need heat or cold?

I have never heard that the water in a bubble cloner has to be lower than ambient temps...where did you read/hear that? And ambient temps vary greatly. In the winter I keep my home a bit cooler--usually around 62-65. In the summer, I keep it a bit warmer--80 or so.

I have never heard that the water in a bubble cloner has to be lower than ambient temps...where did you read/hear that? And ambient temps vary greatly. In the winter I keep my home a bit cooler--usually around 62-65. In the summer, I keep it a bit warmer--80 or so.

By "ambient" I meant 70-75F. That's what they call "room temperature." Perhaps I used the wrong word.

I'm looking at 90F ambient around here, so I'm using an air conditioner to bring it down. Question is what temperature the cuttings need.

around 70 has always worked for me 65-75 is what u want to stay between

65-75 is good, in many instance a heating mat won't be needed as the pump supplies much frictional heat, just don't have it so warm that it breeds bugs

I have always used a bubble cloner for doing my clones, and I found that iff I keep my water between 77f-80f I get the best results. I take my cuttings from the lower part of the plant but I make sure to take small branches that are about 6-8" long and have at least 3-4 leaf nodes, counting the very tip growth as a node. I keep a cup of fresh water next to me and when I snip off my cuttings, I snip off all but the tip node and 1-2 leaf nodes below the tip. I then set them into the cup of water and continue taking my cuttings.

When I am done taking cuttings, I get out my clonex gel and scalpel and put everything next to my cloner. I take each cutting out one at a time and using the scissors, I cut all of the leaves tips off (taking about half of each frond) but don't touch the tip node. I then go down to where I have 3-5" of stem and find where a leaf node was and I use the scalpel to cut off the stem about 1cm below that leaf node, at a 45* angle. If the stem is very thick I will scrape the outer layer of skin off just a bit from the old node down to the end of the cut(if the stem is thin and soft I don't scrape it). I immediately dip the stem into the gel until the whole 1cm of stem and lowest removed leaf node is immersed, then set it up on cloner with end hanging off, to allow the gel to set into the stem. I leave that one there for about 10minutes while doing the rest of the cuttings the same way.

After the 10min, I set them all into the bubble cloner with the stems deep enough that they are just 1-2cm into the water that is continuously boiling with air bubbles. I leave them in their space where the air is kept at the same 77f-80f with a small fan blowing the air around but not directly on the clones. I have a single T5 light over them that is in the 3000k spectrum. I get 95% success with this (unless I am cloning the Larry OG Kush strain, which I get less success with as it is one of the more difficult strains to clone). I don't use a dome as the bubble cloner produces plenty of humidity. I do use a heater in the cloner water in winter to keep the temps up. Summer is more challenging as you don't want to go above 80f. I never see any wilting or yellowing of my clones unless I make some kind of mistake with one, or I forget to check my water level and one of the shorter cuttings gets dry :)

Latest posts

Back