CLONES NEED HELP!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Closetgrow585

Reaction score
started these girls on 7/10 and I only have one really strong one, this is weird to me because they all came from the same gene of seed ( I have 3 bubblegum feminized plants growing ). Anyways I have a heating pad and then a thin piece of plastic over top of the heating pad and then the clones. I have the clones in peat pellets, and when I took the clippings I stuck them immediately in water and then in to the cloning powder, I clipped the leaves and stuck them in the dome. I’m confused because some are doing good and some not as you can see, but the temp is consistent for the most part, I will not keep the heating pad on all of the time I turn it on and off periodically, I also allow them to breath for 10-15 min, lights are off for about 8 hours. I mist the dome , and will not spray them directly unless they are bone dry, idk if that’s okay to do.
Any ideas?
1AD86D11-2B4E-45B8-AC34-9755AED1D115.jpeg
2BEA29DF-A7B7-47F3-A94C-35F0314714A0.jpeg
1AD86D11-2B4E-45B8-AC34-9755AED1D115.jpeg
2BEA29DF-A7B7-47F3-A94C-35F0314714A0.jpeg

Happens with clones some live some die, the way you are doing it in peat pellet
prob had no roots before you placed them so it will take a few weeks before strong roots grow.
Give them time and l love , make sure they don't dry out

Looks dry to me. Should be in a dome with more humidity. Temp at the roots should be 78f. Takes time you will get better. T-5 lights 24 hrs a day.
Yep
I was thinking even placing them in a tray of water appox 1/4 or so and add more as they use or evapes

Usually 2 out of three when I try cloning.

Happens with clones some live some die, the way you are doing it in peat pellet
prob had no roots before you placed them so it will take a few weeks before strong roots grow.
Give them time and l love , make sure they don't dry out
Looks dry to me. Should be in a dome with more humidity. Temp at the roots should be 78f. Takes time you will get better. T-5 lights 24 hrs a day.
Looks dry to me. Should be in a dome with more humidity. Temp at the roots should be 78f. Takes time you will et better. T-5 lights 24 hrs a day.
Thank you I will i baby them all day long lol, when they feel bone dry should I spray them from the bottom?

Okay thank you, I put the lid on and left it on for most of the day today and already they have stood up a bit more.. still not as healthy as the one is. I’m worried about them drying out and the heating pad.. should I keep the pad on 24/7? And how often should I mist the dome and should I give it air?

They should be in a dome and sitting in moisture. If you get the dome and tray at the grow store the tray will have ribs in it. I keep water in the ribs so the starts are always in moisture. There is plenty of humidity inside the dome so I don't mist at all. When you add water make sure it is room temp. Leave the heating pad on all the time and use a lazier temp sensor to make sure the roots are always at or near 78f. They should always be standing tall and reaching for the light. Until the are are just about to root....sometimes they start to eat themselves up....that is ok. You should get 75 to 80% success. Last two times I have had 100% show roots. 5 seconds in the rooting solution...any longer will burn them.....

Just takes practice......when taking cuts make sure everything is clean....think surgery.

Oh, I don't know what peat pellets are??? I started with rapid rooters but now use 2" rock wool cubes.
Peat pellets are those expandable things you see in garden center for starting seeds
They swell up into muffins and you put your seed into it.

1626555848738.png

1626556001896.png

They should be in a dome and sitting in moisture. If you get the dome and tray at the grow store the tray will have ribs in it. I keep water in the ribs so the starts are always in moisture. There is plenty of humidity inside the dome so I don't mist at all. When you add water make sure it is room temp. Leave the heating pad on all the time and use a lazier temp sensor to make sure the roots are always at or near 78f. They should always be standing tall and reaching for the light. Until the are are just about to root....sometimes they start to eat themselves up....that is ok. You should get 75 to 80% success. Last two times I have had 100% show roots. 5 seconds in the rooting solution...any longer will burn them.....

Just takes practice......when taking cuts make sure everything is clean....think surgery.

Thank you so much for the feedback I just got a tray like a tuppawear one and put some water in the bottom ( not a lot at all ) doesn’t even fill up the tray but that’s under the dome now hopefully having that water on the bottom will help those two, the one clone that is standing tall is ready to be planted I see roots poking out of the peat pellet!

I think your cooking them brother... invest in a real heat mat so you can dial in the temp at the base of the pellet
to between 78 and 82f. It's a matter of creating a rain forest affect of high humidity without the pellet being soaking
wet and every great once in a while a breeze comes thru to refresh the air... aka; burping the lid.. other then that be sure the vent holes are open..

I did the heating pad thing, difficult to get temps correct.. the germ heat pads are cheap now and most have a temp dial making it so easy... hope you get it figured man

Never used a heating pad. Just used cfls and domes. Use to put the clone in an small pot cut a plastic water bottle in half and used it as a dome. Put a few holes in the bottle for air.

You don't even wanna know how I clone people... all I can say is, I get around a 90% success rate... and finding my holy grail Oger, don't even need to put them under a humidity dome and they never wilt... otherwise, here is what I do.

Carty's Chicken Container Cloning

Remove cut from donor, be sure to cut it a little below a node region as you'll be making a 2nd cut. place in water of choice.. I use simple bottled water.

Prep RR plugs, presoak them in solution of choice, I say this because everyone does it different.. I simply use Root66
prep the hole the clone is going into, I prefer to have the cutting push all the way thru to my finger on the bottom.

Prep solution, I use Dip n Grow.. clean razor blade, no scissors they crimp things shut, and my humidity dome...
aka: Chicken Rotisserie container from Walmart. Holds 6 cuts, has steam escape holes for excess humidity...

Take a fresh cut at a 45* angle thru the node region, the roots will explode from here, rotate the cutting 180, shave
the outside layer of skin to about an inch long, more roots will come out here. Into Dip n Grow for 5secs and then
into RR plug, Tear a few tiny pieces off the bottom edge, shove into hole beside cutting to keep it from spinning or moving and tearing the fine roots trying to establish the plant.

Bathroom window light, stove light for a few days.. then under LED lights at least 24" above the cuttings...

I never spritz them, instead I rinse the top keeping it wet and place it back after a few minutes of fresh air...

5 days later I usually have roots...

I learned this method from Motarebel over 15yrs ago.. at one point he, I and Gymshoes had like 4 each of these things going.. and you get like 2 meals out of the chicken... muwhhahaha

Latest posts

Back