*#%@* clones!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenDayGirl

"Ganja Chickie"
Reaction score
Ok I'm starting to get "really" frustrated with these little bastards! How soon from cutting should they begin to form a root? I mean seriously...how can they still be alive after 2 weeks and have no root? Zip! Zero! Nada! For God' sake, if their gonna die, die already! How can I get them to "**** it up" and live damn it! Don't they know I'm counting on them. I read the "link" followed the directions. i can't transplant them til' they're mature enough to go 12/12, because having plants in buckets all around my house, would definatly "spark" my 10 year olds attention. Bad, Bad! HHEELLPP!!! :eek: :eek: Thats me freaking out!

Root-Tone, peet pots etc. why are they still green and growing? it doesn'y seem possible for something so fragile to sustain itself with NO root growth.( I accidentally dropped one, thats how I found out. I thought it was a healthy looking one at that. I'd really hate to lose more than 2 or 3 and 2 are already "gone" R.I.P. :(

you may have to use a humidome, or heating coils,they can stand alot of pain they wont die as long as you give them water and air once that cuts off thell be dead within 30 mins

I keep the "pots"and soil moist and i spray them down with a h2o bottle 3or 4 times a day. lights on 24/7. I'm assuming that when their fan leave yellow and dry up that its feeding the top of the start? Or do I have a "mag" problem???

GreenDayGirl said:
Root-Tone, peet pots etc. why are they still green and growing? it doesn'y seem possible for something so fragile to sustain itself with NO root growth.( I accidentally dropped one, thats how I found out. I thought it was a healthy looking one at that. I'd really hate to lose more than 2 or 3 and 2 are already "gone" R.I.P. :(
The bottom of the stem where the roots will form needs to be totally free of light and moist, not saturated. Rootone is good stuff. It takes time to root the way you're doing it. As much as 30 days.

I bought one of "Botanicare" cloning machines, and it works great. 10 days and I have a little ball of roots that work every time. They have a "40" clone size now. I believe they stopped making the "20" I bought.

It was about 100 bucks. Worth it's weight in gold.

Stoney Bud said:
The bottom of the stem where the roots will form needs to be totally free of light and moist, not saturated. Rootone is good stuff. It takes time to root the way you're doing it. As much as 30 days.

I bought one of "Botanicare" cloning machines, and it works great. 10 days and I have a little ball of roots that work every time. They have a "40" clone size now. I believe they stopped making the "20" I bought.

It was about 100 bucks. Worth it's weight in gold.

I would agree, without question. This is perhaps the most frustrating process until you work it out. I would expect that you would see roots form within three weeks, and if the clones look good and aren't wilted, I'd stick it out after investing a couple of weeks. I've seen the water spray "cloners" that you can buy for not too much money, and roots will suddenly appear after 10 to 14 days, with no sign prior to that. But the explosion of roots can be amazing, so you want to catch it early to transplant.

HK

Cloning has so many variables that it's difficult to handle as a strict process. There is always a percentage of loss and the goal is to keep that to a minimum. But an aging mother plant won't provide as robust clones as a younger one, so a lot has to be taken into account.

A couple of points:

Just after they're cut, they have no way to get moisture from the roots, so a dome should be used to keep the humidity high. Spraying is needed to keep them moist over time, but letting them get too dry will kill off a few and weaken the others. On the other hand, if the medium is kept too moist, the stem will rot and the clone will die. You also should keep them on a warm mat until roots appear, if you can.

In your case, a clone machine such as the one Stoney mentioned would be a good investment. You don't have to keep tabs on it two or three times a day and it can be run in an out of the way location.

Good Luck.

ive had clones take 22 days and i was ready to throw them then all happened over 2 days.

try my clone method somewhere on this site works every time or your money back..

rofl

pkj

Well for some reason they're still alive, so how will I know if the've grown roots? I have them in peat pots? Is there some way to tell?

whats up GreenDayGirl. you can tell your clones are rooting by new growth. do you have any new growth?

GreenDayGirl said:
Well for some reason they're still alive, so how will I know if the've grown roots? I have them in peat pots? Is there some way to tell?

The fact that they haven't wilted after more than two weeks means they're getting nutrition somewhere and there's a tipping point at which the plant quickly begins to build roots (which it likes to do just below a node). While this is a root explosion of sorts, there's usually a tap root that takes off and they quickly show themselves in my Jiffy-7s. But (IMO) it's a safe bet that you probably have roots at this point if the plants look healthy.

I believe there is new growth because the older fan leaves slowley die as what I believe is new growth at the top gets greener so I'm gonna go with yes. Now should I transplant them now? What soil should I be using?(money is tight)And will it be safe to throw them out into 12/12? They've been in peat pots since the 12th. I know I asked this before but I was getting ahead of myself I think and my memory doesn't go back that far.Ha!Ha! sorta.

you shouldn't water so much. you said that you water 3to4 times a day. water them then let them get dry alittle, maybe 2or 3 days then water them again.

I think you may have a point Tallslim cause when I got mad at them and ignored them they seemed to come back to life. I checked one last night and sure enough just below the first node, roots!!! So now what?

The varied from 3in up to maybe 6in. I took them from my plants that were already a week or two into flowering.

Latest posts

Back