Clones

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakefish

Reaction score
So I have just started a trial run of clones. Got a couple of questions for the big brain grow guys.
I'm using a deep water cloner system.
How big do you let the roots get before potting? Will a fresh clone go straight to flower on a 12 and 12 light schedule. (Not trying to make 1 bud sticks out here) and lastly about mother plants how long do you keep them and is it a big deal to clone a clone?

I just use a simple clone dome and rooting gel. I have a bunch in the dome now. I just potted the first 5 to show roots this morning. I know nothing about a deep water cloner so I can't help there. But, as soon as I see roots they get potted and given a very light nute. I mean LIGHT! I veg them until they are ready for flower. Sometimes 3 weeks and sometimes longer. You will know what works best for you after a few rounds. I cull mothers ever other run or so and replace it with a new start but that is just personal preference. I have seen people who have mothers for years.

Hope this helps.

Edit.....check your soil/medium. It may have enough N in it so you don't have to add anything. Ocean Forest it to hot by itself so It needs to be mixed with something. I use Sunshine 4 which has nothing so it needs a light N. Last thing you want to do is burn them and end up with a dead start.....

Last edited:
So I have just started a trial run of clones. Got a couple of questions for the big brain grow guys.
I'm using a deep water cloner system.
How big do you let the roots get before potting? Will a fresh clone go straight to flower on a 12 and 12 light schedule. (Not trying to make 1 bud sticks out here) and lastly about mother plants how long do you keep them and is it a big deal to clone a clone?
I also use a dome and rooting gel.but I'm set in my ways,I really have never been one to want to grow in all water .I just don't feel the process is the same for me if I can't have dirt and or Coco in-between my fingers, I have a pretty good rooting rate, usually 9of 10.yes u can clone and clone and clone off the same clone bro,no problem.and being that the girl is mature then all clones cut off her can be flipped as soon as they root foreal,sog!!!

Thanks guys just started playing with the cloner. Defoliated 5 of my ladies before flower and couldn't bare to throw the smaller branches out. I'm only on my second run ever. I've gotten ok results from my first grow but it could better

Will a fresh clone go straight to flower on a 12 and 12 light schedule. (Not trying to make 1 bud sticks out here)

Yes a clone will go straight into flower, even before it roots @ 12/12
dont root them @ 12/12

This can be done to sex unknown donor plants

Yes a clone will go straight into flower, even before it roots @ 12/12
dont root them @ 12/12

This can be done to sex unknown donor plants
Is that something a beginner should be thinking about? But, something to think about. No clones off that plant unless you reverse it.

Does he mean, if you pop a seed and aren't sure if it is male or female, you can clone one of the first clonable branches on the new plant and then determine the sex of the plant before you spend three months worth of time and nutrients growing it out only to discover it is a male?

I had always used a heat mat and dome, but since I got the clone machine, I've never had to use a dome, which baffled me. It defied what I've known but so far, that thing is still 100% with no dome.

Does he mean, if you pop a seed and aren't sure if it is male or female, you can clone one of the first clonable branches on the new plant and then determine the sex of the plant before you spend three months worth of time and nutrients growing it out only to discover it is a male?

Yes, this is what I was saying.
But you still need alternating nodes before you start the clone.

Some ppl take 3 or 4 clones off a plant that they grew from seed and take one of the clones and flip it to 12/12 to see what sex it is before wasting time growing out a male. If it turns out female then you know you now have several female clones and its mother. I've done it many times growing from seed because i difnt want to waste time growing males. I have never grown a feminized seed that saves you that worry.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back