Cloning flowering plants

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

massproducer

Reaction score
Okay I am now going to explain my very controversial method of perpetual harvesting using clones from a flowering plant.

Now unless you understand the process and have a veg box and about 2 weeks to spare just take cuttings from your vegging plant, as they will not have to revert back to veg growth...But, and there is a big but, I have found that taking clones from a plant that is in full bloom very beneficial.

The main benefits i see are excellerated root growth and extreme branching. I first have to dispell the myth that cuttings from a flowering plant are harder to root... This is not true, they are actually easier to root because of the lower levels of N and the higher levels of P and K, which are booth used to build strong roots, which N which is abundant in veg actually inhibits root growth.

The problem is that after they root they then need to revert back to veg growth, which usually takes a week or so. but in this week or so beautiful things are happening. While your plant reverts and turns its existing buds into leaves and branches the roots continue to grow and explode. This keeps my plants vegatation in a kind of stasis. In about a week or two you see new vegatative growth, that just seems to explode, because it already has a nice root system built. I usually wait until I see some single bladed leaves emerage to give it any real N, which again helps then build a strong root system, but once they get the N, they literally explode with branching. It is funny because most times a clone will never be as bushy as its seed mother/donor was, unless you use a reverted clone.

This is similar to revegging your plant after a harvest but is much easier and faster.

I am trying to take some pics of the internode distance and branching but it is hard because my lights are on.

Also this allows me to only use a mid sized rubbermaid lined with panda film as my veg room.

Caution: your plants new growth will look very weird, putting out 1 blade leaves for a while, but this is totally normal, and IMHO is pretty cool to watch. Even already formed preflowers will unroll and try to become leaves.

DSCF1136.JPG

DSCF1137.JPG

DSCF1138.JPG

DSCF1139.JPG

DSCF1140.JPG

DSCF1141.JPG

i have actualy revegged a plant and seen what your talking about as far as the single leaves and how they seem to twist out.. and the buds produce nice limby branches. i think i said that right. very cool stuff.. do you root yours on the 12/12 then veg for a few weeks or after cuttin do you put on 18/6 or what?

i always lollipoped my plants by taking off the bottom branches at around week 3-4 of flowering. So I take these and soak them in a liquid seaweed solution overnight in my flowering room. I then put them in styrofoam or plastic cups with holes puched in the bottom full of perlite and vermiculite or just pearlite. I let them sit in the flowering room for about a week to root, under 12/12, once the bottom leaves start to yellow, i move them over to the veg box to reveg and veg until harvest time which should be about 2-4 weeks aways, if I timed it right. If I did then, the first week in the veg box they only get water and AN's Nirvana/ liquid Karma, to farther the root growth and start the revert. Then I slowly increase the N over the next few weeks as the plants need it.

Hopefully i timed the strain correct and as I harvest my bloom room, I refill it the same day with my revegged clones that have had a nice 2 week veg time after being reverted

i like the sound of that rotation. i take cuttings right before flowering and veg them untill harvest. then start all over. but i do like the way the budz branch out when revegged giving more than one main stem. i have a real srtong 4 headed monster going now.. i may try your way on the next go around.

I took clones from a flowering plant about a month ago. They're all doing ok, although some don't look too pretty.

I'm going to try this also!

Heres a question. If you clone a female plant are you guaranteed all females? Can you get a male plant from a female?

ive done this as well they turn into massive bushes so many side shoots and you dont even have to top them imagine if you did they would be nuts
they do root faster i think it has more to due with just higher p and k when flowering the plant takes off and grows rapidly i think this make's the clones root faster since there from a plant growing faster than a veging one. if i got a nice fem im having trouble cloning i'll wait till its flowering and try again. and it usualy works

TY

I was wondering if someone could tell me also, how exactly do you "scarify" the stem? Is it scraping the skin off? Cutting slits? Scratching?

RenoVader said:
TY

I was wondering if someone could tell me also, how exactly do you "scarify" the stem? Is it scraping the skin off? Cutting slits? Scratching?
yup just taking of the skin just cut them at 45 degree angles and dont take to much off or you could stunt then but usualy roots come out of all cuts
also taking clones off a female plant will give you fem plant the only way to get it male is to stress it and make it a hermaphrodite

Massproducer, thank you. Having done everything wrong to the point that I now have a horizontal beauty, I wondered for a long time if you might be able to clone a flowering branch. All you posters teach me a lot. I got to this place way too late. If I knew how to do pictures I'd let all of you have a good laugh. CYa, chronicmalcontent.

i took clones from my last lady that was in flower 6-7 weeks.i only took 2,just to see how they would do.they are the bushiest plants ever.i am gonna take some more clones off her soon and then let her flower after my others are ready to flower also.i am new to all this and did not think they would live really.just an expperiment.but they both lived and made some monster bushes.so thick

I couldn't get the new strains I had to root. I tried again after 2 weeks of flower and bang, now I have too many.

Mass-
i always lollipoped my plants by taking off the bottom branches at around week 3-4 of flowering.
i've been scared to touch my girls in flower, this is very helpful to me as i have a couple lower branches that wont amount to much anyhow. it's also good to know if i mess up my clones from mom, i can still grab em from the flower room;) thanks again Mass...for each and every tip:48:

White Widow said:
So when is the latest you can take a clone from a plant in flower Massproducer?

Honestly, I wouldn't say that there is really a time limit per say, but the farther into flowering the cutting is then the longer it will take to fully reveg. You are only really limited by the time and patience that you have.

i took a branch from my cuzins plant thatw as flowering and i put it in water to get some roots. its been in water for about 4 days now and i dont see any roots. any suggestions?? im scared to put it in soil right now cuz i think it might Die!

What the heck is lollipopping; why do it; how do you do it; etc? I wonderered if those leaves were like suckers on tomatoes. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Also my horizontal beauty is looking really good what with 4 giant buds growing straight up. When will the new pistils stop showing up? Thankfully, I'm patient. CYa chronicmalcontent

Jarek said:
i took a branch from my cuzins plant thatw as flowering and i put it in water to get some roots. its been in water for about 4 days now and i dont see any roots. any suggestions?? im scared to put it in soil right now cuz i think it might Die!
When you say branch do you mean a "woody" type stem or a smaller shoot? Older stems are harder to root than younger ones. A diagonal cut at the base of them stem provides more cells surface to take in water and nutes than a flat cut. Recut the stem and dip it in a rooting hormone. Plain water will allow new root growth but it will be much faster with a rooting powder or gel applied 1st. Hope this helps.:)

I change the water in it every few days to keep it fresh. where do i get rooting hormone stuff from?? and how much is it?
Re-cutting the stem will this put the plant into shock or have it die?(i have the stem already on a angle cut)

Latest posts

Back