Cloning from mother

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pax5000

quality not quanity
Reaction score
I have a mother that has been growing from a clone for about 7 weeks after rooting. It has about 7 branches that are two nodes long. If I were to clone like I want I will get about 6 off of it. That will leave the mother about branch less. Now this does seem rather unhealthy but I need to get these girls going. I can cut them then get a new mother off of one of those. Is there a too soon to cut clones from a baby mother? Will it recover from such an extreme trim? Would the clone do alright under these circumstances? Your help is greatly appreciated!

Chop her up and keep a clone as a new mom, imo

if you keep a clone as a mom you dont have to worry about your current mom.

I too like to take as many clippings of the first donor as possable..then bin the rest...outta the ones that root chose the best structure for your new Mom...then train that one for future clones...Hope this helps

take care and be safe:bolt::bong:

My rule is don't take more than 1/3 of the plant and you will be ok.

pax5000 said:
I have a mother that has been growing from a clone for about 7 weeks after rooting. It has about 7 branches that are two nodes long. If I were to clone like I want I will get about 6 off of it. That will leave the mother about branch less. Now this does seem rather unhealthy but I need to get these girls going. I can cut them then get a new mother off of one of those. Is there a too soon to cut clones from a baby mother? Will it recover from such an extreme trim? Would the clone do alright under these circumstances? Your help is greatly appreciated!

2 nodes? You can do as you wish, but IMO that's just not enough.

You need at least one node to go into the medium, that's where the first roots will pop from and I like at least 2 nodes in the medium and 3 above. Of course, this depends on how close the internodes are.

Also, if the growth is too 'fresh' and soft, you are wasting your time. The bark or skin needs to be hardened off somewhat. Not gray like the main stem, but not soft like near the growing tip. That's an 'eyeball' thing, easier to see than describe.

Perhaps try a couple and see how it goes? If they are too small/young, you'll only be out the couple.

Wet

Thanks everyone! I am going to let another node grow out then perhaps next week take the cuttings. I will posts the progress as it comes available. Wish me luck!

I think something is wrong here. After 7 weeks, your clone should have far more than 7 branches with 2 nodes each. Tell us something about your grow space--you are not getting anywhere the growth you should.

I don't think he has topped the clone he initially took. Growth does sound slow IMO.

Latest posts

Back