Cloning Guide For Dummies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put 8 cuttings in jiffy pellets last Sunday. They're in a seedling dome thingy I bought at Lowes. I've been opening the humidity dome every day for a minute or so. The leaves are starting to yellow a little. I read somewhere that was a sign that they were starting to root. Is there any truth to this? How long should I leave the dome on? When the roots start growing from the jiffy pellets should I transplant the pellets into a pot of soil? Thanks. Usandthem from where the grass is blue.

i dunno for sure but i will try and answer this..

i had taken 24 clones and i think maybe only 2 or 3 didnt make it,

mine also were getting yellow and i really wasnt sure that these would live.

and boy i looked at em today and i see NEW growth ( new leaves) which had me surprised cuz i thought that they were dead and i looked at the bottoms and i see ROOTS!!! yea yea YEA!! :D

so i know that dont really answer ur ? but im in the same boat and thats what happened to me.. maybe the same will to u too.. hopefully..

good luck with that.. and keep growing mang.

hey everyone,
im new to the site but not new to growing or cloning,first id like to say that this is a really good way of doing clones, and i dont wanna disagree because every grower has his/her little tweaks and tricks, but i must say that sterilizing your blade after each cut is a very good ideam also peroxide is very important, nip all those nasty bacteria and molds in the butt, give them no time to spread or even live.
as for the cuttings in water to do what im going to tell you you must not use the glass of water, and is alot easier with rooting gel instead of powder, now as soon as you take the cutting(cut one at a time of course)
cut it to the length you want now while doing this DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT LAY YOUR CUTTING DOWN,when you do that it allows air to enter your stem and becoming like a clogged artary which is not good...now as soon as you cut the stem keep it vertical and dip it directly into the rooting gel(which is a nice amount poored into a cup or container other then the container of gel) go in to the gel about an inch, now here is the most important part...
after dipping it generously, take your a sterile razor blade and cut half inch vertically up the center of the stem,at the bottom of course, then dip again to ensure rooting hormones are inside the bottom of the stem, then continue to place in your cubes or mix or what ever...
ive done an experiment with clones done like this and clones done normally, and the root systems develops faster thicker and much stronger, hope this helped you all out, and i hope you try it...
hope to hear from you

oh and one more thing, it is very normal for the first five days that your clones are a little wilty and yellowish, not yellow just a little tint.

i got all kinds of things to say today lolol,
also about the jiffy pots,they are good for beginners because they are very easy,yet do to the big amount of oxygen they let to your root system, they sometimes cause your stems to elongate, like theres not enough light, a really good mix or cube should be used for optimum results

I have read the cloning guide for me(dummies) until I am blue. Anyway, it is a perfect well written guide and I do get it, but.... Are we cloning to find out the sex of the plant? After alll the work is done you put it under 12/12 and hopefully you will have sex, (not just with plants) in a quicker time. Is this the right idea?:bugger:

I just take my clone cuttings and put them in water 1 and a half deep and let them sit on the window sill for a week until the roots mature I've never had a problem of any sort. I dont mess with root hormones etc.... once the roots are 2 inches or better they go into soil and thats it!!!!!!

I had 3 flats full of cuttings, and they looks kinda wet, but I wasn't getting the humity I should have, yet they're drooping, they'd been in the domes for a while, and they had some roots, but none showing, but I figured my only chance is to put them in pot, for hydro. Well, after weeks of anticipation, they all died. I usually get at least 15-20 success rate of 100-200 cuttings. Its so sad, but if I can get them to take, I put out the best indica around. Can someone please help me?

Thanks in advance,

Donnie189

cheers i just clone the first time with help from you i will let u no the out cum thanks to u all geedog25

how much does the heat effect the development of the roots?
if your temperatures are too low will they not grow roots?

...YES... medium temperatures are critical to root formation....IME

thanks Hick for the response, i did find a range from 70-85 F, i am sitting around 73avg. SO it might take a month or never go at all. and in the mean time looks as if some spider mites or something got to my mother so if these clones don't make it, she is gonzo!

Great Thread Cranky, TY

And TY for the additional imput Hick, Towelie, n Mr. Pink.

I will agree tops suck for cloning.

Did 2 sativa's (bag seed) , bottom branches

2 Strawberry (purchased clone), top of plant

2 Purple (purchased clone), top of plant

The Sativa's lowers look a lot better, and have taken off on the normal route.

The other four where i took from the top, to bring the mothers down in size n keep them more managable, (trying the bonzi steps for size), ended up failing so far. One strawberry, complete root rot. the other just sickly looking. Same with the 2 purple's, sickly looking.

Mothers are fine, Bonzi so far seems to be working, n the momma's look like little tree's.

Gonna try again using the lower branches this time today, and also gonna try the cutting it under water, keeping it as vertical as possible, also gonna try the dip in get, cut stem half an inch, then re gel, then plant. Hope this works.

A quick question is, what is a descent soil mix for clones. Been using the Jiffy pod's, in cup's, but i think it was those that brought in these tiny flies. They seem to love haning out on the cups. The cups, are Jiffy made, you add your own soil to them, they are peat moss matterial, iwth a hole in the bottom. Used only once, for first run on clones, and placed the Jiffy pod's into them after ten day's, thinking it may help. Bad Idea, they all looked better before I placed in them.

Ohh one other thing, I cant find a grow Container that has a high enough lid for three/four inch cutting, se we took a tupaware box we bought at local big box store, and im not sure if this cloudy plastic is letting enough light threw when its fully covered.

Any further imput would rock, about growing enviroment, Hick mentioned Temp, so Im gonna check that before cutting again.

Thank you all for your time and imput, it really helps us Dummies out here:peace:

Greenfoxx's

**** quick update, while trying to obtain what we thought was a better temp for the clones for last batch, we put a heating pad set on the lowest temp under the clones to encourage root growth, but we found after only ten mins (testing today, should have before we did it couple weeks ago), our lil box had heated up to 85 degree's, OMG, and we did that whole last set, may have been main reason for the sickly/ root rotted plants we had, along with being tops. NEVER USE heating pad for heat control, whats mildly warm to your skin, becomes an oven for your plants. Just thought we would add that, since we just realized one part of our clone mistakes. *****

Where on the mother plant do I take my cutting? Lets say I have a branch I am going to take and use as a clone. Do I cut it RIGHT at the main stem of the mother OR do I leave at least one node/leaf on the branch so the same branch can then provide me with another cutting in a couple weeks? IF I cut it down close to the main branch of the mother will that same branch grow out? If I leave that one node/leaf will it grow out? Basically, what do I leave behind on the mother so that she will provide me with new cuttings?

thx

Latest posts

Back